• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Kurgan » January 20th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Naniyue wrote:I end up using Bluestacks to run the companion program, as supposedly it won't work on my phone.

Observations/Questions:

Every time they add new quest packs, I have to uninstall and reinstall in order for them to be downloadable. Anyone else have this problem?

While I like the bells and whistles of the companion, HQGM is MUCH faster to use, so I end up using both, depending on the situation.

I would think squares with treasure chests could not be occupied. HQGM recognizes this, but the Android application let me do so.

I think they should add a couple more music tracks.

Anyone else have the application crash once the Dread mist appears in Return of the Witch Lord?


I use Bluestacks 5 (running in win11) and I don't have this issue with new expansions, I just go inside the app and "download." Though the 2.1 patch was a little odd. It just kind of appeared in there, I didn't have to "update" within the virtual App store like usual. That makes me wonder if perhaps the bugs I'm seeing have to do with that rather than the App itself. But try it... are you able to pass through monsters... EVER? Because I can't, no matter what I do, since 2.0.

There are definitely some eccentricities in the App that don't necessarily conform to any intended rules... for instance how it interprets when you can search (seeing a monster in a nearby room stops you... unless you're looking through a secret door even if its open! but put a hero in the way and suddenly you can search again; when at a crossroads the app doesn't know which corridor you intend to search so it searches them simultaneously!) or how you can just step on Treasure Chests even if "intangible furniture" (which I think was just added for debugging, not actually an intended play variant) is turned off. Using the "Double wandering monster" feature can be delightfully nasty but it also means you'll be calling for more miniatures than come with the set (substitute monster of the same color/similar strength). Also the App has a hard time when there's a hero standing in the doorway, and another hero wants to pass by and go through, despite this never being an issue in the real physical game. Version 2.0 introduced a bug where I couldn't pass through monsters anymore no matter what magic trick I was using (or the Rogue) and doesn't seem to have been fixed in 2.1.

The Dread Mist crash was something I encountered early on, but I thought had been fixed a few updates ago.

I haven't tested the Ancient Staff in 2.1 yet, but at least as of 2.0 it was still rebounding the enemy spell ONLY back to the castor instead of to every monster in the room like the card says. I don't mind that a few things that are only written to be usable in rooms are now usable in corridors in the app (like the Knight's Challenge).

"No line of sight" is given as a generic error message when anyone besides the Elf hero tries to use an "elf only" item still I think. It still says Sir Ragnar only moves 2 squares per turn on his "card," says the Bard starts with a dagger (rather than his Rapier) and implies the Rapier only attacks diagonally. I haven't witnessed what some people were talking about with Elven Archers shooting through walls or enemy Halberdiers (FH) / Advanced Skeletons attacking diagonally through walls though which was reported in the last version.

All that said, perhaps a fresh install is a good idea. Avalon Hill doesn't provide tech support for emulations. Agreed about the music tracks. I'd personally love to hear them translate the voice acting (so far it's only in English). But that would require them paying some more actors I'm sure (and I'm grateful the app is still free AND ad free).


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » January 20th, 2024, 11:38 pm

I've only tested a few aspects of the Companion, as I mainly use it to just keep what's coming a surprise. I will, however, see if that Dread Mist crash happens again, once I get back to that quest.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » January 21st, 2024, 12:51 am

I've learned that I can't manually move monsters with the Companion. HQGM does allow this, which better fits my house rules for monster movement.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby j_dean80 » January 21st, 2024, 12:54 am

Naniyue wrote:I've learned that I can't manually move monsters with the Companion. HQGM does allow this, which better fits my house rules for monster movement.


Nice thing about HQGM is you can add quests to it. (As long as they don't use new components.)
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner


Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Wrote an article for the Blog. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2412
Images: 30
Joined: December 6th, 2016, 2:48 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » January 21st, 2024, 1:45 am

I haven't delved into quest making yet, but yes, that sounds like a plan!
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby SirRick » January 21st, 2024, 9:12 am

Another thing I noticed about the app that has always bothered me is when you have to be a couple squares away from an intersection before you can see if there is blocked tile square there. If you can see a door on the wall or a hidden trap at the opposite end of the board, why can’t you see a wall?


Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
SirRick

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 512
Joined: January 17th, 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby j_dean80 » January 21st, 2024, 9:29 am

SirRick wrote:Another thing I noticed about the app that has always bothered me is when you have to be a couple squares away from an intersection before you can see if there is blocked tile square there. If you can see a door on the wall or a hidden trap at the opposite end of the board, why can’t you see a wall?


Yeah a blocked wall tile should work as just part of the normal wall visually.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner


Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Wrote an article for the Blog. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2412
Images: 30
Joined: December 6th, 2016, 2:48 pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » January 21st, 2024, 10:03 pm

If you are tired of the Companion music, I find that MIDIs from Daggerfall work rather nicely in the background.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Kurgan » January 23rd, 2024, 6:51 pm

Yeah when using the App I turn down the music AND the voice acting, but that's me. Karl Casey (White Bat Audio on youtube) has basically become the soundtrack for our live games. It's mostly techno and synthesizer type stuff, but the mock 80's/90's aesthetic works for the time period HQ came out of I suppose. Also, the stuff is royalty free (I also had some Alexander Nakarada medieval style mp3s I'd play for earlier streams too, good stuff!).

HQGM doesn't look very pretty right now... the aesthetic is of the basic quest maps that Zargon uses. Still, I am glad such a thing exists, as it sounds like a fine tool for a quest maker to test out their stuff a little more. The fact that both the official app and this fan thing are free means use whatever you like. Yes, the companion app is only made to be usable on phones and tablets, emulation allows it to be used on the pc and I've had pretty good results using bluestacks. Does it hook up multiple players online? That was something a lot of people were asking for that up till now only VASSAL or Tabletob Simulator included in their mods. Now Foundry has a really cool HQ mod created by one of the fans in our discord, but TTS and Foundry are both paid applications (TTS was like $20 when I got mine from steam and Foundry is a one time fee of $50 if I recall correctly though I think in the latter case only the GM needs to buy it and can then host it for others).

Even though HQuestbuilder has really matured, I still prefer to use the "outdated" heroscribe, I guess it's an old habit I'm comfortable with. ;)

I have less experience with HQuestbooklet but it looks to be trying to do the same things Hquestbuilder does in its own way.

I'm sure others can create their own apps too, more the merrier I say!


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby SirRick » January 27th, 2024, 3:39 pm

I finished Quest 6: The Ruined Temple of Gilgarreth from PoT. I mentioned about an earlier quest (Escape from Melar’s Maze) in which monsters that are supposed to chase you just stand there and do nothing if you are out of range or line of sight. The same thing happened in this quest with a Wandering Monster. It attacked and ran out the door at full speed. On my turn, I moved my heroes out of range to wait for it to come running back into the room so we could jump it. The Orc just stood in place and remained there for the rest of the quest. I don’t believe the monsters behaved this way before the v2.1 update. This strange little update seems to have introduced more problems without fixing anything (to my knowledge).


Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
SirRick

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 512
Joined: January 17th, 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests