• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest boards

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Heroquest boards

Postby Planetdune » March 30th, 2022, 3:14 pm

Is there any place to buy additional game boards to play HeroQuest on? I looked online but not rally seeing anything.. but using the "all icon pack" for HeroScribe it lists other "gameboards" that look really fun! I know I could print boards (and stitch them together as I can't print stuff that big but yea, some quality premade boards would be a lot better...
Planetdune

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Heroquest boards

Postby cornixt » March 31st, 2022, 9:56 am

Dungeon tiles are going to be your best bet. Most pre-made single piece dungeon maps have all the doors and furniture in fixed places.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 31st, 2022, 10:35 am

BoardGamesMaker (BGM) dot com is one such site where you can easily create a good looking board (that's not meant to sound like an advert, but I've gotten one from them, it's how I did the 1 inch square board before the Remake came out). It will cost you $30-45 (you can spend more, but to me that's going to be good enough for most applications). Take any image and turn it into a board, whether that be a scan you've found or made yourself.

Of course if you can find a used copy of a game at a yard sale or thrift shop for less, go for it!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby BroccoliRage » December 25th, 2022, 10:11 am

So here's my advice and how I'm dealing with this issue:

Pick up a copy of Descent: Legends Of The Dark. Trust me on this. The game itself looks a bit needlessly complicated, but you will get a plethora of New terrain and tiles that will fit perfectly, and the tiles are gridded. If you're willing to put in a little work, you can have bunch of new monsters, 5 new heroes, and an absolutely killer boss demon.

After that, look into Pathfinder and fifth edition D&Dungeon tiles. In the case of Pathfinder stuff, check out their battle mats. The mat that comes with the Pathfinder starter box is incredible.

Now comes the really fun part.

Buy five sheets of foam board from Walmart. Grid them out. Add art, 3d terrain, whatever. Need inspiration? A member here shared a cathedral he made on Facebook a while back, and it is jaw dropping. But, see, you can make whatever you want. Good stuff cardboard, paint, a yardstick, and you imagination, dude.

HeroQuest was practically made to be taken off the board eventually. In fact, I think Advanced HeroQuest didn't even have a board, but just dungeon tiles.

To recap:

Descent, dungeon tiles, Pathfinder flip mats, and making your own on good foam board.

Can't wait to see how your collection turns out.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby BroccoliRage » December 25th, 2022, 10:17 am

Kurgan wrote:BoardGamesMaker (BGM) dot com is one such site where you can easily create a good looking board (that's not meant to sound like an advert, but I've gotten one from them, it's how I did the 1 inch square board before the Remake came out). It will cost you $30-45 (you can spend more, but to me that's going to be good enough for most applications). Take any image and turn it into a board, whether that be a scan you've found or made yourself.

Of course if you can find a used copy of a game at a yard sale or thrift shop for less, go for it!

Wow, that's a hell of a resource, man. Thanks for sharing. I totally need to make use of this.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Markus Darwath » December 25th, 2022, 2:24 pm

BroccoliRage wrote:HeroQuest was practically made to be taken off the board eventually. In fact, I think Advanced HeroQuest didn't even have a board, but just dungeon tiles.

You are correct about AHQ. I still have most of mine. I'm not so inclined to actually use them anymore, as they used the same 7/8" squares as the Milton Bradley game board.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Postby Kurgan » December 25th, 2022, 2:29 pm

Another thing I see them selling at book stores and such are these "Dungeon Battle Mat" books. Spiral bound books of laminated pages covered in a square grid (which appear to be the right size for these and other popular miniatures). Lots and lots of "dungeons" and things. Sure, many of them are pretty generic, but remember this is HeroQuest, you can add furniture to decorate things. With more than one book you can easily setup a full size dungeon and lay it flat (typically you just open the book, you don't rip out the pages... and then turn over when you want to change the scenery). It doesn't layout the same way as HQ though with the corridors separating small rooms... so get ready either for mazes or huge rooms to fight big battles in (more like D&D).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Markus Darwath » December 26th, 2022, 7:06 am

I also have the D&D Terrain Campaign Case. It basically contains a large double-sided fold-out battle board compatible with dry erase markers, and a bunch of 5x5 interlocking tiles in the same 2-sided finishes as the big board. I'm going to play with using those to draw out maps in such a way as to just lay out (pre-drawn) tiles as the characters gain line of sight. That way the characters aren't looking at pre-printed rooms and trying to figure out if they're part of the dungeon and how to get there. Could also use that approach on the double quests where you have to switch maps, jumping from the board onto the tiles would give the feeling of going somewhere new and different, even if the dungeon would mesh up with the game system board.
Markus Darwath

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Postby BroccoliRage » December 26th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Markus Darwath wrote:I also have the D&D Terrain Campaign Case. It basically contains a large double-sided fold-out battle board compatible with dry erase markers, and a bunch of 5x5 interlocking tiles in the same 2-sided finishes as the big board. I'm going to play with using those to draw out maps in such a way as to just lay out (pre-drawn) tiles as the characters gain line of sight. That way the characters aren't looking at pre-printed rooms and trying to figure out if they're part of the dungeon and how to get there. Could also use that approach on the double quests where you have to switch maps, jumping from the board onto the tiles would give the feeling of going somewhere new and different, even if the dungeon would mesh up with the game system board.

I picked that up, too, at a discount at my local game store. My local store sells Warhammer and Magic: The Gathering stuff like hotcakes and can't seem to move anything else so I end picking up their back inventory of miniatures and D&D stuff I can use for HQ for a song, the owner practically throws the stuff at me just so he can get it off his floor haha.

It's a great little set. And the little vinyls can stick to your HQ board, aIve already used a few as enhancements.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Stig » December 26th, 2022, 11:49 pm

Planetdune wrote:Is there any place to buy additional game boards to play HeroQuest on? I looked online but not rally seeing anything.. but using the "all icon pack" for HeroScribe it lists other "gameboards" that look really fun! I know I could print boards (and stitch them together as I can't print stuff that big but yea, some quality premade boards would be a lot better...

Those other game boards you can see in Heroscribe I think come from the game Dragonstrike from 1993. Dragonstrike came with two boards, both double sided, which are readily available on eBay etc for not too much. They are very cool: castle, town, forest..

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Other Expansion Topics