• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

30mm Board dimensions?

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

30mm Board dimensions?

Postby j_dean80 » March 24th, 2019, 9:22 pm

If I wanted a board to have 30mm squares then what would the overall dimensions be including the border? The squares conversion is easy but I can't seem to wrap my head around re-scaling the border where it doesn't just skew the whole board making the squares not come out at 30mm.

I delved into the forums and could not find this answer.
Last edited by Daedalus on May 9th, 2021, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moved topic from General HeroQuest Discussion room
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 30mm Board dimensions?

Postby whitebeard » March 24th, 2019, 11:28 pm

I don't have all of the data to make this calculation in front of me (I need the board and a ruler), but here's how it works.

You need the size of the square you will be scaling to 30mm. Call that W. I belive W is one inch (please use milimeters for W, so 25.4mm). It would be best to find this number by measuring the outer corridor dimensions and dividing by the number of squares.

You also need the size of the regular game board. Call that X by Y.

You will be scaling the board up from W to 30mm. This is a factor of S = 30mm / W. (W needs to be in mm here!). Sanity check, S must be bigger than 1 and is likely in the neighborhood of 1.2

Note that the scaling factor S is unitless so you can use it now to scale measurements in metric or inches.

The new game board dimensions are X*S.by Y*S. Where * is used to represent multiplication.

This will scale the boarder as well. To save table space, you might consider editing the image so that the boarder does not get larger. But I have large boards and the larger border does not botger me.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby av0hazaar » March 25th, 2019, 12:30 am

Just out of curiosity, why 30mm scaling?
av0hazaar

Postby Stoner81 » March 25th, 2019, 2:14 am

30mm allows the use of many mini's that can be purchased elsewhere.

Didn't somebody round here already make a 30mm version of the board I swear I have it in my collection of stuff I have downloaded from here?

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » March 25th, 2019, 3:57 am

Stoner81 wrote:30mm allows the use of many mini's that can be purchased elsewhere.

Didn't somebody round here already make a 30mm version of the board I swear I have it in my collection of stuff I have downloaded from here?

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

Yes but I was wondering for converting custom boards.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » March 25th, 2019, 3:58 am

av0hazaar wrote:Just out of curiosity, why 30mm scaling?

The original board gets very very crowded.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » March 25th, 2019, 7:14 am

whitebeard wrote:I don't have all of the data to make this calculation in front of me (I need the board and a ruler), but here's how it works.

You need the size of the square you will be scaling to 30mm. Call that W. I belive W is one inch (please use milimeters for W, so 25.4mm). It would be best to find this number by measuring the outer corridor dimensions and dividing by the number of squares.

You also need the size of the regular game board. Call that X by Y.

You will be scaling the board up from W to 30mm. This is a factor of S = 30mm / W. (W needs to be in mm here!). Sanity check, S must be bigger than 1 and is likely in the neighborhood of 1.2

Note that the scaling factor S is unitless so you can use it now to scale measurements in metric or inches.

The new game board dimensions are X*S.by Y*S. Where * is used to represent multiplication.

This will scale the boarder as well. To save table space, you might consider editing the image so that the boarder does not get larger. But I have large boards and the larger border does not botger me.

I think I follow but may be lost. Haha Thanks for the formula. Math was too long ago for me to have figured that out.

I like the border and would hate to cut it.

(P.S. I also don't do metric but that seems to be the standard in the industry.)

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Other Expansion Topics