• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

If I would remake Heroscribe

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: If I would remake Heroscribe

Postby Maurice76 » Monday March 25th, 2019 9:03am

You'll probably need to organise those monsters based on category.

As for the different local HeroScribes: that's why I suggested a good import and export function :P. If you can import and export the table as a whole (or one or more individual monsters), you'll have tackled most of that problem. One thing you should probably also include is the symbol to use for it on the map.

Created HeroScribe files themselves should probably contain this data table and the symbol png files within itself, so you can transport this particular file and use it wherever you have HeroScribe installed, without missing any png files or data table entries. Note that this is different from exporting the individual tables and png files! So basically I mean that for ease of use, you'd have some sort of database file and you can import and export both data entries and png files to and from it.

Edit: Oh, and it would be nice that if you clicked on a monster within HeroScribe, a small frame shows the details, including the dice for each entry in their respective colors, instead of BBOOU or similar :P. I don't think a picture is needed, as is the case for the monster cards of the original game, but it would be nice to at least see the icon displayed. And of course the option to change any and all attributes of it there.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » Monday March 25th, 2019 9:10am

Maurice76 wrote:You'll probably need to organise those monsters based on category.

I thought about some kind of tag based filtering, me.

See some of them in my monsterlist if you want.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » Monday March 25th, 2019 1:07pm

Stoner81 wrote:I create my own books in A4 format so as long as I can export the map to JPG or PNG or something along those lines that Word can read I am pretty much happy :) I would also like to keep the UK version of the icons if possible too. Beyond that I can't think of any other functions I would like in it... I will have a think and see if I can come up with anything.

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

As far as I know, we are not wanting to reduce the capabilities of Heroscribe from what it is now. PNG export will still be there. PNG format is probably best because it supports alpha channels whereas JPG does not. About the only thing that likely won't be kept is the ability to export to EPS, but this is being replaced with the ability to export to SVG. This is being done for compatibility reasons. Anderas said that EPS support is being dropped in many programs due to the ability to write viruses in them, so we think it's best to just phase it out now. But we still want to have the ability to export to a fairly universal vector format.

Also, there is no intention of getting rid of a format of icons, but we do want to expand what's available. I imagine we can reduce the number of icons by just allowing the user to choose the color of them (EU, US, or custom) and we would be able to get rid of half the file clutter right off the bat. I know there are icons that look different based on locale, but it's nothing to keep those and still give the user the ability to choose the color of them. One thing that I don't care for about the current set of files for Heroscribe is that there are three locations for all icons (the raster, vector and sample folders), two sections for all boards (the raster and vector folders) and then those sections are doubled when you factor in two locales (EU and US). So 1 icon needs 6 representations in the folders and 1 board needs 4 representations. I have to believe that there is a better way to do this. I would think we could have one file for an icon or a board and Heroscribe manipulates that data according to user input. I would hope so anyway. If we could do this, it would also aid in creating icons. When someone wants to create an icon, they just make one version and import that, then Heroscribe would edit the colors from there. But we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves. We're still working on getting a Python version of the current Heroscribe working. But input from everyone now is very helpful because the data structures can be designed with upgrades in mind so we won't have to rewrite them later.

Also keep in mind that we would like the ability to do ALL quest generation inside Heroscribe to make it easier for everyone. You might decide you like that better than using Word in the end. I'd really like to not have to use Pages for ones I do anymore.

Anderas is flying through the back-end stuff. I just started the GUI interface. I'm thinking the interface might change a bit for usability, but I don't intend to do a major overhaul. I don't want everyone to have to relearn how to use the program, I just need to make room for the new ideas we want to implement and I don't want to have to rewrite everything when it comes time to implement them. So to begin with, you may see a bit of wasted space but that should be filled in as we add the features.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Saturday March 30th, 2019 6:12am

I've made a write-up for the monster stats I'd like to implement or already have implemented.

Anyone who has 10 minutes and wants to help, could you take a look and tell me if it is understandable / useful? Is it complete or is something missing?

https://github.com/Anderas2/Heroscribe2 ... definition

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby devarionarias » Saturday March 30th, 2019 9:11am

Looks great Anderas!

I've thought of only two things:

1. Under monster immunities in the part where you can add all except, maybe specific weapon too. For example, the Witch Lord is immune to weapons except Spirit Blade.

2. Will this monster info be pushed to custom monster cards, to the quest map text, both, or maybe a custom selection of certain info by default?
devarionarias

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby Anderas » Saturday March 30th, 2019 9:21am

devarionarias wrote:Looks great Anderas!

I've thought of only two things:

1. Under monster immunities in the part where you can add all except, maybe specific weapon too. For example, the Witch Lord is immune to weapons except Spirit Blade.

2. Will this monster info be pushed to custom monster cards, to the quest map text, both, or maybe a custom selection of certain info by default?

Thanks!
For 1. - yes you're right.

For 2.:

Currently I am thinking to make a monster section for each quest where selfmade monsters are used. It will look very much like the one you find at the end of many quest books.
For that you would see in the quest editor some auto-generated rules text about this; but after you can change it to your liking.

I mean, what do I need it for?
I need it for only two things:

* Quest text editor (most important)
* Simulation in Questimator (very optional)

So I will make a proposal in the quest text editor. And you can change it.
And the questimator, if it gets better through it, fine, if not, also fine, it is an rough estimation anyway! :-)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » Saturday March 30th, 2019 4:40pm

devarionarias wrote:2. Will this monster info be pushed to custom monster cards, to the quest map text, both, or maybe a custom selection of certain info by default?

This data will be in the XML for the program (if I'm understanding the implementation correctly) so I would imagine it would be fairly easy to implement this later.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Saturday March 30th, 2019 5:26pm

I have a code that does this, here.

https://github.com/Anderas2/HQ_Card_Maker

I have made it during the HQ25 card making when I was fed up with making the same ten steps over and over again.

I could clean it up and put it in Heroscribe 2. So that wouldn't be expensive.

The problem is only that there will be no picture, people would have to bring them. If there are any copyright problems ever, it will be for the card pictures, so I won't include them.

Maybe they can be found on my Dropbox somehow in parallel. |_P

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » Sunday March 31st, 2019 12:30am

I know the card images are on this site, because I downloaded them from here. I just don't remember where they are. Likewise, I can also include them in my Google Drive. I figured we would have to do it where people have to import the image. Or, here's a thought. We can see if we can make it so they import the images once and they would be copied over to the file structure for the program and then people can use any image they've imported. We just don't distribute the images with the program.

Rewards:
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Sunday March 31st, 2019 3:15am

I can't remeber if I've weighed in, but if not, I wanted to let you know I completely trust you guys and I'm already looking forward to a new HeroScribe.
Maybe it's the thing that can bring me back into the hobby.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics