• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Expanding the MainGame - Add Ons

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Expanding the MainGame - Add Ons

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 1st, 2019, 8:58 pm

So I am preparing for my first campaign with a new group and I was looking for ways to build a bit of a world around the questbooks, mainly a bit of a town-area and outside areas to embedd the regular quests within a bit of context and maybe some sidemissions, entry-areas to the dungeon (regular board) etc.

I ve found some cool gridded stuff to use from heroic maps, they got a nice tavern and other smaller maps that you can use to build adventures around. Highly recommended.

I also bought some really cool metal game money from fantasycoin. Also, highly recommended, their coins just look, feel and sound awesome. Here are some pictures:

What are you guys using to enhance the game?

Cheers
Oliver

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Expanding the MainGame - Add Ons

Postby lestodante » March 3rd, 2019, 10:15 am

"the only true way to expand HeroQuest is with more HeroQuest"

And personally I agree with this. :lol:
Seriously, I can use additional cards, miniatures (only CITADEL miniatures from 1985-1989) and tiles. All that should be in theme with the original style.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 3rd, 2019, 2:05 pm

Town system... Take a look at the darklight memento mori rulebook. I think it is available as PDF download. It is nice!

More mercenaries, more heroes, more monsters.... take care to introduce them one by one every second or third quest. If there is too much new, you burn through your stuff too fast, also the heroes don't get the feeling of encountering something new if new is the new normal.

Exciting is if the players encounter something new, learn something about it and then have the opportunity to apply what they have learned.

So if they encounter a new monster and learn how to defeat it (maybe there is a method?) it is ideal.

We have many quest packs and quest books here at the inn that introduce some stuff.

Also extra rules like monster abilities, new spells, new potions, mercenaries, ewp cards or whatever.... Take care to put it in play one by one and it will keep them excited longer.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 3rd, 2019, 2:14 pm

Anderas wrote:Town system... Take a look at the darklight memento mori rulebook. I think it is available as PDF download. It is nice!

More mercenaries, more heroes, more monsters.... take care to introduce them one by one every second or third quest. If there is too much new, you burn through your stuff too fast, also the heroes don't get the feeling of encountering something new if new is the new normal.

Exciting is if the players encounter something new, learn something about it and then have the opportunity to apply what they have learned.

So if they encounter a new monster and learn how to defeat it (maybe there is a method?) it is ideal.

We have many quest packs and quest books here at the inn that introduce some stuff.

Also extra rules like monster abilities, new spells, new potions, mercenaries, ewp cards or whatever.... Take care to put it in play one by one and it will keep them excited longer.

Thanks brother! Thats great advice! I havent played since I was a kid and just got the game again two months ago, starting with a new group in a bit. I ll take your advice, slowly bringing in new things. I already printed out a lot of cards, and wanna apply the UK but American monster rules. I want to go through the main quests and expansions maybe with a little add on here and there before I start to build my own but I am already thinking what cool stuff you can create and use in later quests once we are through. :)

Monster abilities sound interesting! I havent read about that one before.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 3rd, 2019, 2:58 pm

Kellars Keep is where many groups stop to play. Think about what you want to do there... Knightkrawler had some nice ideas.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » March 3rd, 2019, 4:40 pm

lestodante wrote:"the only true way to expand HeroQuest is with more HeroQuest"

Seriously, I can use additional cards, miniatures (only CITADEL miniatures from 1985-1989) and tiles. All that should be in theme with the original style.

The BEST things about Heroquest are quotes like these.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 3rd, 2019, 5:26 pm

lestodante wrote:"the only true way to expand HeroQuest is with more HeroQuest"

:lol: :lol: Damn it took me a while to get the quote....then I remembered the video :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :gargoyle:

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » March 3rd, 2019, 8:20 pm

Weltenlaeufer wrote:I ve found some cool gridded stuff to use from heroic maps, they got a nice tavern and other smaller maps that you can use to build adventures around. Highly recommended.

I've made Heroscribe files for some of the Heroic maps. They are in the Heroscribe link in my signature (their names start with "hm_"). If you need some others made, I can give them a shot. I just can't guarantee an immediate turn around.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 4th, 2019, 1:16 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote:then I remembered the video

How could one forget!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » March 4th, 2019, 10:58 am

Anderas wrote:Kellars Keep is where many groups stop to play. Think about what you want to do there... Knightkrawler had some nice ideas.

Thanks!! Good to know! :)

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next