• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

DIY Hero Quest

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: DIY Hero Quest

Postby j_dean80 » August 26th, 2018, 5:50 pm

I would just leave one hand free.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby juhone » August 27th, 2018, 3:24 pm

I just cleaned up my yesterdays test print and as I expected half of the prints were ruined because of detachment of the print bed. But luckily other half of the minis survived - the 30mm's.
I gave them a quick wash to see the details a bit better. They're actually pretty decent quality and the printed did a good job even on such a small scale.

Here's a comparison pic with an old school space marine.

Lessons learned:
1. For the smaller scale, the proportions should be even more exaggerated. I thought I was on the borderline comical but it wasn't even close. In my planned scale (as big as you can fit on a 32mm base) they should work a bit better.
2. Weapons need to be way thicker. Especially with the small scale they are a bit too flimsy and may brake too easily.
3. Get more Islay whisky
juhone

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby knightkrawler » August 28th, 2018, 1:32 am

juhone wrote:Get more Islay whisky

There's never enough of that stuff, right?!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby girot » August 28th, 2018, 6:19 am

very excited to see how this develops!

i would recommend making the Barbarian's broadsword a bit broader, and maybe 10% taller. :)
the Dwarf and Elf look amazing
i like the Wizard... but prefer a younger version in a hood with a goatee.
girot

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » August 28th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Looking good! Yeah, people laugh at the giant hands and faces of old GW sculpts, but they were there for a reason. The detail just didn't show up at scale.

I agree that the dwarf is too tall. I'd love comparison pics with the original HQ figures or some old Empire figs for scale. Of course if you HAD the old HQ figures you wouldn't have started this project!

Scale is tricky nowadays... GW figs seem to have moved from 28-32mm in fits and starts.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » August 29th, 2018, 6:59 am

good job, though I am a fan of the oldschool style...
The wizard seems to miss some details on the face, hands and beard, but maybe it is just the photo.
The elf and the barbarian have some kind of futuristic look, especially the elf looks a bit like an X-Men :D while the dwarf should have shorter legs in my opinion.
Apart this (that is related to my own personal tastes) you did a great job!!
It would be also interesting to see a printed figure before you clean it from its support sprue.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby juhone » August 31st, 2018, 4:01 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
juhone wrote:Get more Islay whisky

There's never enough of that stuff, right?!

I just opened a new bottle of Laphroaig :redheart:

During couple of last nights I went through all the figures I got so far and pumped up some of the proportions based on the suggestions here and what I learned from the test print. Couldn't go to GW heroic scale without totally redoing everything, but hopefully they now print and read a bit better. I'll try to do another print this weekend. I just need to do first some maintenance on the printer.

I also finished the orc. Check it out.
juhone

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Showdown35 » September 1st, 2018, 12:56 pm

That orc looks great!! Love the stitched clothing and the rope all over him. Only suggestion I'd make is with the hand necklace; look like too clean of a cut for an orc! Possibly rough them up a bit so they look a little more gruesomely ripped or hacked off arms? Maybe even a hint of a wrist bone poking out?
It's like a new pair of underwear; at first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you. I have to go...

My HeroQuest Homebrew project site: http://www.showdowndave.ca/heroquest
Showdown35

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby juhone » September 2nd, 2018, 4:46 pm

Showdown35 wrote:That orc looks great!! Love the stitched clothing and the rope all over him. Only suggestion I'd make is with the hand necklace; look like too clean of a cut for an orc! Possibly rough them up a bit so they look a little more gruesomely ripped or hacked off arms? Maybe even a hint of a wrist bone poking out?

Good point. I fixed it.

Today's print was a great success. I'll just drop this here and get back to you with more pics tomorrow. Super happy with the results!
juhone

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby DullandRusty » September 2nd, 2018, 5:05 pm

Looks great! I'm of the ilk that likes my barbarian to look like the old conan movies, so i would prefer the shoulders to be a little broader (making him wider across the upper back). This woukd make him notabky broader than the elf and others, but that's just my liking. Again though, well done!
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics