• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroes taking on a Vampire

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Heroes taking on a Vampire

Postby torilen » January 18th, 2018, 12:15 pm

knightkrawler wrote:...and lick or otherwise moisten the smaller part. The water accelerates the bonding process.
Optional: If both parts are thick enough we need to talk about pinning or greenstuffing.

I came into this at the exact wrong place. I don't know what you people are talking about...and I don't want to know
what you people are talking about.

I think I'll just say shame on you now. :lol:

And I'll also say that "greenstuffing" disturbs me... ... ...

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » January 18th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Does sound nasty when quoted like that. All that talk about moistening by licking and pinning and stuffing...
The "smaller part" triggers something in the nerd, too...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » January 18th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Now it's time to start/finish the painting

aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » January 19th, 2018, 10:29 am

aaronAGN wrote:Now it's time to start/finish the painting

:D

Very cool! Great job!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » February 7th, 2018, 9:26 pm

So here's the pieces I've selected for my quest pack.
In addition to the standard skeletons and zombies,
I'll be featuring imps, lesser vampires, ghosts, greater (regular but stronger than the lesser feral vampires) vampires, a werewolf, and two NPCs to join our heroes.

aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » February 7th, 2018, 10:20 pm

For what it's worth - here is a little thing I wrote just recently about running a classic vampire character.
It is written more for full-on rpg, maybe not so much for HQ, but some of you might be able to make it
work.

I posted the full piece here at the inn, but it is also on my company's blog.

Here at the inn: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=4085&p=83286#p83286

Fantasy Game Strategies Blog: https://fantasygamestrategies.com/2018/ ... t-to-life/

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby aaronAGN » February 7th, 2018, 11:45 pm

I read your post.
Let me start by saying:
I LOVE Dark Shadows. The old show. The old movies. The revival.
But i hated the Tim Burton remake.

Also.
You said:
"
Some of these abilities, however, seem a bit different. It is these differences that fascinate me with the depiction of Barnabas as a vampire, and it is these differences that I think could create a superior vampire GMC within Questing Heroes (or any other role playing game)."

But everything you describe, which is how i remember it, seems to be just the same as every other generic vampire behavior and characteristic.
I don't see how what you described is any different.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » February 8th, 2018, 11:42 am

I've seen several different depictions of a vampire...maybe you've seen different depictions, or
you might notice something different than me. Here are my thoughts.

First - What I've seen/read:
Dracula from several versions. He certainly has the strength and ability to drain blood. Typically, I've seen Dracula hypnotizing people
simply by looking into their eyes and telling them what he wants. It does not usually seem like brainwashing, though. He can make
servants by biting people, but cannot confer any of his powers to those servants. In some versions, he can turn into a wolf or a bat,
but I've never seen him turn others.

Vampire in R A Salvatore's Cleric Quintet, book 5, The Chaos Curse. Totally different from other vampires, but also created in a totally
different manner. Basically, a strong, evil, uncouth undead fellow who drinks blood and spreads chaos everywhere. Vampire in the sense
that he drinks blood, is strong and hard to kill, and has to be invited into the building.

Strahd in Ravenloft. He is very similar to Barnabas, except that he knows magic. You don't see him hypnotizing people, though he does
have means of controlling others, through his voice and through threat of punishment. Strahd also is not quite as genial and hospitable
to visitors as is Barnabas, though you still get the sense he is sophisticated and "upper class".

Blade - don't even get me started on the oddness of those vampires.

I'm sure I've seen others...can't really place them for now. In almost all of them, however, you are typically told outright how old they
are, or that they have everlasting life...something along those lines. The intrigue and mystery is seldom there. And we rarely see any
of those other vampires resorting to base fear to control their victims, as Barnabas forces his victims to lie in coffins to freak them out
and control them.

So...maybe Barnabas might not be quite so different. However, it would be the way his type of vampire is presented to the characters.
As I said a few times in the piece I wrote, it would be a lot more storytelling, more description, more would happen off-scene that the
characters would see the after effects, but not know the full details of what exactly happened.

I think running a vampire in that way would make it a different vampire than what one would normally think of in a rpg...the kind of
undead that seeks to drink blood to stay alive, to create servants to carry out his or her will...a creature that the characters simply
hunt down because he or she is a vampire, slay it, and get the reward. It would add atmosphere to the game, make the characters
think about the vampire, and get more into the game.

And again - not really so much for HQ as it would be more for a full rpg.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » February 8th, 2018, 12:09 pm

The trick to create that sense of mystery is to not use the term vampire. There.
Even when you do re-use a trope at one point, readers will go "Aaah, a vampire", but you can still surprise them with differences and distinguishing features and moments.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » February 10th, 2018, 2:35 pm

knightkrawler wrote:The trick to create that sense of mystery is to not use the term vampire. There.
Even when you do re-use a trope at one point, readers will go "Aaah, a vampire", but you can still surprise them with differences and distinguishing features and moments.

Oh, great point. These one of a kind cursed entities need not follow the same rules / have the same powers.

You could also encounter a new tribe of goblins and the warriors all wear masked helms and furs, so you do not know they are goblins until you kill one and remove it's helm. If the survivors carry thier dead off with them, you might not know what you are fighting for quite some time.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics