• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroChest: Machinist's Tool Chest - HeroQuest Box

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Re: Machinist's Tool Chest - HeroQuest Box

Postby mukami » August 22nd, 2015, 10:23 am

Does someone have the dimensions for the top compartment and the 2 different drawer types? There is a Harbor Freight opening up near my work in the next month or two, so I'm interested in getting one. I found a site that sell foam trays in various sizes and was wondering if I lined the 2 larger drawers with PnP foam would they hold a lot of minis.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Killed a mighty Fimir! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mukami

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby whitebeard » August 23rd, 2015, 12:31 pm

Large Drawer interior dimensions are:
17 3/4 x 7 3/8 x 1 3/4 inches

small drawer:
8 1/8 x 7 1/4 x 1 inches

Top compartment:
18 3/4 x 9 1/4 x 2 3/4 inches (not including additional head room from lid)
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mukami » September 15th, 2015, 9:20 pm

whitebeard wrote:Large Drawer interior dimensions are:
17 3/4 x 7 3/8 x 1 3/4 inches

small drawer:
8 1/8 x 7 1/4 x 1 inches

Top compartment:
18 3/4 x 9 1/4 x 2 3/4 inches (not including additional head room from lid)
I really should have said thank you the day after you posted this. The Harbor Freight opened a few days after my post and I bought one of the tool chests. The pictures don't do it justice, it's got a lot more room than I thought.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Killed a mighty Fimir! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mukami

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JCool » August 5th, 2016, 11:53 am

After some debating (as to whether or not I wanted to splurge on the machinist chest), I finally picked one up! It's a really cool chest and certainly lends itself well to keeping HeroQuest safe and protected.
Word of caution: I picked mine up from Harbor Freight, but the whole store kinda stunk like a, well, garage! (to be expected I suppose). The chest had some lingering smells to it that needed to air out before putting in the HeroQuest sets.

I was able to fit the below list into the chest, though I'll admit it's a bit of a tight fit! See below for description & pics :D

Overall Chest:

Contents:
2 - Base Sets - 1 Complete, 1 Mostly Complete (just missing some small bits and the board)
All 4 US Expansions - Barbarian and Elf expansion tiles are not in the chest as they are still un-punched and I didn't want to go through punching them out just yet.

From the Bottom Up:
The bottom drawer holds all of the furniture and doors for both sets. (I included the Gargoyle as furniture, but he could be added to the top compartment if needed)

The second large drawer below holds the Barbarian and Elf expansion figures and cards. (There's space here still, though some foam to keep the minis protected is likely a good idea)

The bottom set of double drawers holds the Heros and cards. (I sleeved my cards to protect them a bit more given their age, also added the Barbarian and Elf expansion heroes to the drawer on the right -- sometimes you just need a female version of the hero to kick butt, even in a base game!

The middle set of double drawers:
-The left drawer holds the Kellar's Keep & Witch Lord expansion tiles (most, larger ones are in the top), the tiles from 2 base sets, and the dice from 2 base sets. (also a few extra chits that the custom painter who previously owned the set had used)
-The right drawer holds the Kellar's Keep & Witch Lord expansion figures.

The top set of double drawers holds the enemy figures from both copies of the base game -- unpainted on the left, painted on the right.

The top compartment holds all of the quest books, GM screens, mini-Armory printout, character boards, character reference cards, and expansion room tiles that are too large for the drawers. (There's still plenty of space in the top compartment for more materials as time goes on -- i.e. custom variants)

As you can see - everything "fit", but it's admittedly a tighter fit than I had expected. It's still incredibly awesome though and gives easy access to all sets and components, so it'll make setting up future adventures a breeze!!
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Wolf » August 5th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Looks pretty good and like something I should get myself, is it's name The Mechanic's Chest or what? Where can I find one via online shopping?
My campaigns in order of story from left to right:
ImageImage

Wolf

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JCool » August 5th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Yep - it's the machinist chest that whitebeard used as well. I got mine from Harbor Freight, you can grab one from their online store http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html

They usually have plenty of 20% off coupons floating around, so definitely grab one and apply it to the purchase to drop $16 off the total price.
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » August 5th, 2016, 2:48 pm

We now call this "HeroChest".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » August 5th, 2016, 2:52 pm

I store the EWP screen and armory with the board, which leaves more than half the top section for oversized figures as well.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby JCool » August 5th, 2016, 5:00 pm

"HeroChest" indeed :)

I'm trying to make this an all-in-one setup for the game, so I'm going to keep the EWP in the top section. I added a stack of print-outs for variants in there are well... the top compartment never seems to run out of usable space!

My biggest question now, how much shift will occur if I transport this? I have a couple different groups that I game with, and I'd like to introduce a new buddy to HeroQuest. Hoping there isn't too much chaos upon arrival!
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby GimmeYerGold » August 10th, 2016, 4:55 pm

the felt-lined drawers helps a lot to keep contents from shifting. However, if you have painted minis, there will still be a bit of bumping and rubbing that may scuff the paint. The best bet is to make sure the chest is secured in any vehicle or use foam inserts--regular hand movement and lifting shouldn't disturb the contents tho.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Expansion Topics