• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroChest: Machinist's Tool Chest - HeroQuest Box

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

HeroChest: Machinist's Tool Chest - HeroQuest Box

Postby whitebeard » January 23rd, 2015, 6:23 pm

I have been admiring the HQ chests that some of the members have built. But I don't have the time to attempt the perfect box (or the skill). Instead I started looking at machinist's tool chest. My objective was to have something that keeps the dust off of my painted miniatures and can be used for quick access during game play. For $65 I think I just about nailed it.

image.jpeg

The box looks nice enough. I'll be putting a nice big logo on it later.

image-1.jpeg

The whole thing is felt lined. The top has lots of space for oversized minis (two Reaper dragons, three GW river trolls, three GW spirit host, and two GW chaos warrios are in there. I also have the quest books, manuals, and a few unopened minis. I'll add some foam if I plan to take it anywhere.

image-3.jpeg

The front folds out to reveal 8 drawers. The front piece also slides in and out of the way (not shown).

image-4.jpeg

Two drawers are very large easily fitting all of the furniture into just one of them… so plenty of space to the Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter?

image-5.jpeg

The other six drawers are small and low profile (4 shown here). All of the drawers have no stops on them, so they just slide right out like trays.

I also added furniture felt pads to the four corners on the bottom to prevent scratching my table and floor.

The only things that do not fit in the box (unaltered) are the Armory and Game board. I use a re-printed 30mm game board anyway, so I keep that separate. And eventually I will re-print a slightly modified armory.

You can find this chest on e-bay for about $100. But I found the best price at Harbor Freight at $65 after using one of their 20% off one item coupons. I had never heard of the store before, but I guess they are quite common in the US midwest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by whitebeard on August 10th, 2016, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Machinist's Tool Chest - HeroQuest Box

Postby GimmeYerGold » January 23rd, 2015, 7:33 pm

WOW! This is fantastic. I already placed an order for one myself!

Thanks for sharing this, whitebeard!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby splatterkid » January 23rd, 2015, 8:50 pm

Would this hold the expansion boxes also?
splatterkid

Hero:

Postby whitebeard » January 23rd, 2015, 9:10 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:WOW! This is fantastic. I already placed an order for one myself!

Thanks for sharing this, whitebeard!

Wow, that was fast! Where did you end up ordering it from?

For others, if you "Google" it use "windsor machinist chest".

splatterkid wrote:Would this hold the expansion boxes also?

This box easily holds three copies of the original game if you aren't worried about how the pieces are sorted, so yeah, it should accommodate all of the expansions. The only real issue is that I wanted all of my monsters in the small drawers, but the gargoyle does not fit, so I put him with the furniture. I also have a drawer of 12 GW Chaos warriors but the two champions I made do not fit because their arms and weapons extend very far outward.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » January 23rd, 2015, 9:49 pm

Very nice!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 24th, 2015, 4:45 am

whitebeard wrote:The only real issue is that I wanted all of my monsters in the small drawers, but the gargoyle does not fit, so I put him with the furniture.

Most of the time, he is furniture anyway.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 24th, 2015, 9:03 am

That's a great find!! Perfect for HQ :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » January 24th, 2015, 12:23 pm

whitebeard wrote:Wow, that was fast! Where did you end up ordering it from?

I followed your information, and ordered online from Harbor Freight, with the 20% off coupon. There was even a video online of their sales guy demoing the chest and its features. Very helpful. There is actually a store here locally, but the idea of paying $7 more for shipping, and the joy of receiving a big package trumps the idea of driving an hour round trip for it. (I am lazy when it comes to that!) :p

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » January 24th, 2015, 12:59 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:
whitebeard wrote:Wow, that was fast! Where did you end up ordering it from?

I followed your information, and ordered online from Harbor Freight, with the 20% off coupon. There was even a video online of their sales guy demoing the chest and its features. Very helpful. There is actually a store here locally, but the idea of paying $7 more for shipping, and the joy of receiving a big package trumps the idea of driving an hour round trip for it. (I am lazy when it comes to that!) :p

you would spend that $7 in gas anyways
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » January 24th, 2015, 1:54 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:I followed your information, and ordered online from Harbor Freight, with the 20% off coupon.

That is awesome that you were able to find and use the coupon! I got mine a little while back during all of the Christmas sales, so I wasn't sure if it could be found without waiting for some holiday.

cynthialee wrote:you would spend that $7 in gas anyways

Ah, but he would have it already!

Rewards:
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Other Expansion Topics