• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Making your own game tiles.

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: Making your own game tiles.

Postby ToyotaGT1 » July 9th, 2011, 10:25 am

Ahh. I think that might have helped. My wife was using the printer before for some of her school work. I just tried it with tiles from this site and cut them out and yeah..perfect. Thanks.
ToyotaGT1

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Making your own game tiles.

Postby AndyW » August 31st, 2011, 10:54 pm

What is the best paper for this.... my wife is a graphic's artist and has printed cards for me on her color lazer printer on 85 lb paper. They come out great. As far as Tiles I was thinking on using 110 lb paper... anyone try this yet?
AndyW

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Homemade Tiles

Postby leo » September 13th, 2012, 10:53 pm

[This topic was merged from elsewhere in the Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ HeroQuest Additions ‹ Tiles room on 6/12/16.]

I am thinking of printing some of my own tiles. I have access to a nice color laser printer that will print up to 11 by 17. I was thinking of printing onto glossy paper then glue it to regular poster board to make it thicker. Any help from what you have tried? To me poster board may not be thick enough any ideas? Should I clear coat the tile when finished?
Last edited by Daedalus on June 11th, 2016, 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged topics
leo

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Homemade Tiles

Postby Nephew of Mentor » September 13th, 2012, 11:59 pm

I've had luck with printable sticker paper. Print off the tiles, overlay them on a box from an old jigsaw puzzle, and then use a rolling pin to flatten it all out nicely. That or a discarded shoebox. There are other, more expensive methods, however, these worked great for me. Just make sure you are printing them the right sze, sometimes the computer automatically resizes them and you have to uncheck some box or another.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby leo » September 14th, 2012, 7:31 am

Thanks for the idea. Did you use any sort of clear coat on them to protect them? Any other stories or ideas from anyone else on the the best way to print your own tiles?
leo

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nephew of Mentor » September 14th, 2012, 12:33 pm

I haven't used a clear coat yet, but maybe some day in the future. Note that puzzle boxes have grey backing, and shoe boxes usually have one white back, which looks a lot more like the originals.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » September 15th, 2012, 2:23 pm

I usually print my tiles on regular laser paper. The "ink" makes it glossy when printed off. Then I spray glue on a thick paper stock to stick the paper nicely and evenly. Hope it helped you !

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cynthialee » September 17th, 2012, 12:45 pm

I print them on standard issue paper from a stanard issue printer then I cut the tiles out and glue them to a cut to size piece of thin card board.
Works good enough for my table.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Home made tiles

Postby leo » October 11th, 2012, 9:52 pm

[This topic was merged from Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ HeroQuest Additions ‹ Tiles from elsewhere in this room on 6/12/16.]

Just got done making a few tiles. I used 22 X 28 poster board, spray adhesive and 11X17 glossy paper. I bought the adhesive and poster board from the art section or wal-mart.

Downloaded tiles from various links and arrange using your favorite publishing program (I did this to get the most tiles on 11 X 17 Sheet)
Print the tiles onto glossy paper from a color laser printer.
Sprayed the poster board with adhesive.
Placed 11 X 17 glossy paper onto poster board (press down with books or something heavy)
Let dry for about fifteen minutes and start cutting.

Worked really well and didn't cost much at all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by Daedalus on June 11th, 2016, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged topics
leo

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Home made tiles

Postby Big Bene » October 12th, 2012, 3:42 am

Nice.
I would cover them with plastic foil to protect them from scratching. You can buy transparent adhesive plasitc foil at any stationery store.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiles