• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Home Made Wooden Tiles

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Home Made Wooden Tiles

Postby cornixt » October 15th, 2018, 9:20 am

I cut some MDF to make dungeon tiles. I made the squares 30mm to give a little extra room to models on 25mm bases, although this restricts compatibility with off-the-shelf tiles and such. I used a jigsaw, which means I made some tiles a little off - very hard to hold the pieces steady while cutting because they are so small. I might redo those shapes (mostly the small L shapes, but the last few tiles that were one square thick are also off by a few mm). I have enough tiles for a full HQ board except for a bit of corridor that is 12 squares long.

For my first attempt, I cut thin cork sheet into squares and glued them on. It looks bad, very haphazard. Cork is hard to cut cleanly, so none of my cuts were particularly accurate.
Second attempt, I glue the sheet to cover the tile completely and cut the squares afterwards. It didn't cut well, still looks bad. After this I gave up for a while. Brief reprise of using a multitool to cut the stuckdown cork. It worked well, cut cleanly unlike a knife, but I was unable to get the control needed to make it look natural and hit the lines well. Tried the same directly on the MDF but with the same results - not enough control to accurately get the lines in the right place

Third attempt: wood squares. They came in a pack that contained three sizes: 14mm 28mm 40mm. The 28mm worked great, perfect size. The 14mm I used in sets of four and also looked great, although they don't quite work out to be the same size as the 28mm. I should have stuck them right next to each other rather than leaving groutlines. Never used the 40mm, thought about cutting them down but never did it. The wooden squares looked great, but I'd need a lot of packets to do all my tiles. And then my local craft stores stopped selling them, so I was a bit stuck.

Fourth attempt: cardboard squares. I cut cereal box into 28mm squares and stuck them on. Looked great, but I was worried that the cardboard would curl when painted, so I sprayed a few with grey primer. It didn't. Used cardboard for the rest. Lots of variations easily possible - took forever to cut four triangles per square for my 6x5 room and glue them on - not doing that style again even for a smaller room. Easiest variation is using two rectangles since it adds very little time on but is far more interesting than just squares. I can make a lot of very accurate squares in minutes. It even looks good unpainted.

Conclusions:
Cork looks crap even if done perfectly. I don't know who suggested it, but I hate them.
PVA/Elmers glue makes it almost impossible to separate the wooden or cardboard squares from the wood without damaging the squares.
I threw all the cereal boxes into the recycling at the start of the week so I ran out of squares to finish the tiles. Now I know why my son hoards cardboard in his room. Will have to wait until someone finishes a box of cereal before finishing off.
Making the tiles double-sided will be easy. I'll do it for a few of the specialty rooms.
I had planned for all the 6x1 tiles to be possible to combine into a single large room of whatever size I needed, but I screwed that up a bit by using the cork and wooden squares on some of them, so not all of them match.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Home Made Wooden Tiles

Postby Anderas » October 15th, 2018, 10:08 am

My wife asked my some days ago why I have corn flakes in my hobby room. I already used the card board by today. :lol:

They look just great.

I imagine with a bit of black and white spray paint and then maybe (sepia?) wood color from the home improvement center, you could paint dozens of them in a few minutes and it would look great!

I have 30 mm squares, I feel they are just right. They give a little bit of wiggle room to the models for turning dramatically and confront their enemy; still they are not so big as to use up the entire table space.

If you come around, south france, I can give you three cardboard boxes of corn flakes immediately. And have a beer with you. |_P :lol:
By the way cornixt, you are here so long, you desperately need an avatar!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Re: Home Made Wooden Tiles

Postby cornixt » October 22nd, 2018, 9:58 am

I still can't believe how well they have turned out, especially since I was so disappointed in the cork ones (which I have way too many of). Still need to finish the painting though, which may keep the "perfect" tiles just out of reach. My kids seem to be eating cereal fast enough to supply me with at least an empty box per week.

Maybe I'll add an avatar one day...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Tiles