• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Magical Doors and Keys

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Magical Doors and Keys

Postby Valnar Nightrunner » July 26th, 2017, 3:46 pm

In this second Booklet of Doors, you'll find all what is necessary to include Magical Doors, Runic Doors and Doors locked with Elemental Forces in your games of Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest and, why not, Warhammer Quest. You'll find some counters of Keys, Magical Keys, Runic Stones and so on to make a hard way to your Hero in your darkest dungeons !
Be sure to have photo paper in A4 format for a better result in printing this booklet.

Follow the Link below if you want to download this booklet. You'll find there the fist AND the second booklet :

http://ahqnewgen.clicforum.com/t227-Por ... Herses.htm
Maître Haut Elfe sur un arbre perché, tenait dans son bec l'Enclume des nains.... (Ca sent la fracture de Crâne) http://ahqnewgen.clicforum.com/index.php
Valnar Nightrunner

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Magical Doors and Keys

Postby cynthialee » July 26th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Neat.

I love to include locked and magically barred doors in Hero Quest dungeons. Especially locked doors because it forces the heroes to explore in search of the monster or villain with the key. Which affords me more chances to get them off track and worn down.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby DarakuTenshi » July 26th, 2017, 6:28 pm

I am doing something of the sort in a quest that I'm developing as well.
DarakuTenshi

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Valnar Nightrunner » July 27th, 2017, 1:42 am

cynthialee wrote:Neat.

I love to include locked and magically barred doors in Hero Quest dungeons. Especially locked doors because it forces the heroes to explore in search of the monster or villain with the key. Which affords me more chances to get them off track and worn down.

Indeed ! I like too to do so. If you have some ideas to suggest in order to creat some new types of magical doors or keys, please tell me ! I will try to make them :mrgreen:
Maître Haut Elfe sur un arbre perché, tenait dans son bec l'Enclume des nains.... (Ca sent la fracture de Crâne) http://ahqnewgen.clicforum.com/index.php
Valnar Nightrunner

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 27th, 2017, 11:45 am

Types of difficult doors I use:
Complex Locks. Only the Dwarf can open this lock and only if he has a tool kit. The Dwarf must roll his Mind Points plus 3 dice. If the Dwarf rolls out a Black Shield the door is opened. This door of course can be opened with a key, often found on a named monster or villain.

Elemental Locks. To open this lock a spell caster must sacrifice a Spell from the appropriate spell school to open said door. Doors with the Fire Rune require a fire spell to open...etc

Two man doors. These doors need to be opened by turning the door knob while simultaneously someone across the room is holding down a switch on an opposite wall.

Automatic Closing One Way Doors. Once you walk into the door the door closes. This door can only be opened from the other side so once you go in, you will need another way out.

Doors with no obvious fashion of opening. Any hero who wishes to use this door must roll their Mind Points in Combat dice. On the roll of a Black Shield the hero understands the door and can open it.

False Doors. Opens up to a brick wall.

Doors with Guards and Wards. To open this door the Hero must be able to brave up the guts needed to open the door. Roll the Heroes average of the current Body and Mind points, looking for a Black Shield. If the roll fails this hero will only enter the doorway if another hero has crossed the door.

Magic Password doors. This door only opens if the magic word to open the door is spoken. A Wizard or Elf (or other spell caster you may use in your homebrew games) may attempt to run through all the common phrases used by spell casters for such doors. Each turn the caster may Roll a single Combat Dice looking for a Black Shield. If a BS is rolled the word was stumbled on and the door opens. Typically there will be a monster or villain in the dungeon who has written down the pass phrase somewhere...

Magic Trick door. When you walk through this door you get teleported to the entrance of the hallway. Typically there is a long hallway. At the end of the Hallway is a door. After you open the door you see either a hallway with a door or a pile of treasure. Something to entice the person through the door. Once the cross the threshold...they are back at the entrance of the Hallway looking at the door down the hallway they just went through. This is a red herring door for most situations. Although I have used it as a barrier that must be defeated. In this case then typically I will place a 'Scroll of Magic Dispelling" (homebrew item) somewhere in the dungeon so the heroes can dispel the teleport and allow them to get to the next door or the treasure.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Valnar Nightrunner » July 28th, 2017, 8:28 am

cynthialee wrote:Types of difficult doors I use:
Complex Locks. Only the Dwarf can open this lock and only if he has a tool kit. The Dwarf must roll his Mind Points plus 3 dice. If the Dwarf rolls out a Black Shield the door is opened. This door of course can be opened with a key, often found on a named monster or villain.

Elemental Locks. To open this lock a spell caster must sacrifice a Spell from the appropriate spell school to open said door. Doors with the Fire Rune require a fire spell to open...etc

Two man doors. These doors need to be opened by turning the door knob while simultaneously someone across the room is holding down a switch on an opposite wall.

Automatic Closing One Way Doors. Once you walk into the door the door closes. This door can only be opened from the other side so once you go in, you will need another way out.

Doors with no obvious fashion of opening. Any hero who wishes to use this door must roll their Mind Points in Combat dice. On the roll of a Black Shield the hero understands the door and can open it.

False Doors. Opens up to a brick wall.

Doors with Guards and Wards. To open this door the Hero must be able to brave up the guts needed to open the door. Roll the Heroes average of the current Body and Mind points, looking for a Black Shield. If the roll fails this hero will only enter the doorway if another hero has crossed the door.

Magic Password doors. This door only opens if the magic word to open the door is spoken. A Wizard or Elf (or other spell caster you may use in your homebrew games) may attempt to run through all the common phrases used by spell casters for such doors. Each turn the caster may Roll a single Combat Dice looking for a Black Shield. If a BS is rolled the word was stumbled on and the door opens. Typically there will be a monster or villain in the dungeon who has written down the pass phrase somewhere...

Magic Trick door. When you walk through this door you get teleported to the entrance of the hallway. Typically there is a long hallway. At the end of the Hallway is a door. After you open the door you see either a hallway with a door or a pile of treasure. Something to entice the person through the door. Once the cross the threshold...they are back at the entrance of the Hallway looking at the door down the hallway they just went through. This is a red herring door for most situations. Although I have used it as a barrier that must be defeated. In this case then typically I will place a 'Scroll of Magic Dispelling" (homebrew item) somewhere in the dungeon so the heroes can dispel the teleport and allow them to get to the next door or the treasure.

Very interresting. I'll see what I can do to build up some new systems and new doors. Some of my magical doors can work in the same way than yours, I mean in casting a spell from the appropiate college of magic. The Magic Trick Door appear in an official Quest of Advanced Heroquest : "The Changing Faces of Tzeench", in the second Dungeon of the Quest. It can help to develop your ideas if you wish to.
Valnar Nightrunner

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 23rd, 2017, 7:14 am

Valnar Nightrunner wrote:Indeed ! I like too to do so. If you have some ideas to suggest in order to creat some new types of magical doors or keys, please tell me ! I will try to make them :mrgreen:

I like the keys and keyholes. Is there a way to put a keyhole on some of the doors? When a Hero tries to open a door, a locked one would be swapped in. One of your keyhole tiles can instead be placed nearby, of course.

I've seen Quests that call for castle or town gates. Perhaps you could make some taller double doors as gates instead.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Valnar Nightrunner » October 2nd, 2017, 4:23 am

Daedalus wrote:
Valnar Nightrunner wrote:Indeed ! I like too to do so. If you have some ideas to suggest in order to creat some new types of magical doors or keys, please tell me ! I will try to make them :mrgreen:

I like the keys and keyholes. Is there a way to put a keyhole on some of the doors? When a Hero tries to open a door, a locked one would be swapped in. One of your keyhole tiles can instead be placed nearby, of course.

I've seen Quests that call for castle or town gates. Perhaps you could make some taller double doors as gates instead.

Yes, keyhole can appear on doors, it's not difficiult at all. This was my first idea, but finally, I decided to make some Keyhole counters because it reduces the number of pages of the file. There is a lot of doors, so if I build this amount of doors with a Keayhole, it doubles the number :? Excuse that horrible english, I'm a froggy.
Valnar Nightrunner

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Tiles