• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hex Space Heroquest Board

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: Hex Space Heroquest Board

Postby torilen » August 23rd, 2013, 9:27 am

See...I knew between all of us we could get this thing working.

I like the mutated hex spaces, but they would be poor for accommodating the minis.

The parallelogram-shaped walls, however...that looks like it could be the key to making this
whole thing work. You would still have the same issue with attacking from one side of the door
or the other, and the board would be a little larger than the original...and it would be shaped a
bit funky.

BUT...that really works. You get almost the entire hex space into the room/hallway where it
belongs. And using that theory for rooms and hallways allows for putting the door at one of
two different places on any space, which would offer some interesting game play.

OR - if this system of walls were to be used (which I think I will be using it), the door could simply
be placed on the space, and heroes/monsters could simply choose which space they move to upon
going through the door (in the case where the door leads to two spaces).

yeah...big bene - I like it. Good thinking. Thanks for working that out.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Templar » August 23rd, 2013, 9:41 am

Big Bene wrote:Image

That...is...nice! A warped hex grid!! 8-) Now we are really outside the box. Well done indeed! |_P

The thing about doors...now with Big Bene's warped hexes, there are clear horisontal and vertical lines of hexes. Could we not just state that all doors only connects hexes vetrically or horisontally?
böös5.bmp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 23rd, 2013, 10:18 am

The warped hexes are brilliant, but... it basically boils down to the same old square board with the diagonal attacks allowed idea. Well, not quite, but almost. Now it's 6 squares instead of 8... I guess it does make a difference then.
Very pretty though.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » August 25th, 2013, 5:27 am

Just an update:
I've finished the re-writing of the "lost text" of my original post. See page one.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » September 2nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

Big Bene wrote:Now, lets have a look to the middle section of the HQ board, drawn in the described way.
A hex pattern has three axes of symmetry, as opposed to only two in a square pattern. But it is still a two-dimensional pattern, so we can just choose two of its axes and correspond them to the two axes of the square-patterned original HQ board. The result is fully functonal and readily recognizeable:

Now we have something to work with.
The only drawback is aestehtical: the rooms are parallelogram-shaped and look somewhat odd. In a "medieval" dungeon we expect the layout to be mostly rectangular, and the odd angles disturb the ambiente of the quest map.

But the topology of a hexagonal grid is not changed when we warp it in the plane (as long as no lines are cut or intersected). So we can just scew the whole pattern by 30 degree to make the walls rectangular:

Now the looks are greately improved while the topology is unchanged. every hex still has six adjactant hexes, and there's no distinction of orthogonal neighbouring (when we define it as "sharing a side") and diagonal neighbouring (defined here as "sharing a corner, but no side").

This is both bizarre and fascinating at the same time. The first one quoted above reminds me of an isometric video game version. I'm amazed that skewing the hexes 30º turns them into a grid pattern, (rows and columns) yet changes the form of a squared grid from 1 square with 8 surrounding to 1 hex with six surrounding. I'm glad you took the time to explain (and re-explain) how hexes might work for a HeroQuest board layout. It could really change the game and strategies. (example: Monsters can surround a hero in the middle of a room from six sides rather than four. :twisted: )

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 19th, 2018, 2:54 am

Every one missed out on 1 simple factor here... Perfect for 3d dungeons as well... Thicker Walls!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » April 19th, 2018, 8:52 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Every one missed out on 1 simple factor here... Perfect for 3d dungeons as well... Thicker Walls!!!

Lol, I just read this topic and while reading I had the same thought as you had :P. Just reserve an entire line of hexes for the walls. In the default board, the walls look so flimsy, you wonder why the Barbarian can't just make a door, Barbarian style!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » April 19th, 2018, 9:29 am

I've got some new thoughts - and thanks Maurice - I had forgotten all about this thread.
That was a LONG time ago.

Will come back to it tonight or tomorrow with my new thoughts.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cornixt » April 20th, 2018, 9:19 am

The tilted hex is essentially a square grid but with diagonal movement allowed in two directions (NE, SW)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 20th, 2018, 9:55 am

yes, it looks like... so why not allowing diagonal movement in all four directions? Could be an "simulated octagonal grid" with gridlines that are accidentally completely horizontal and vertical... and fields that are roughly square.... :D

Frankly, i never understood why people love hex grids so much and why they are used in every second game. Squares are so much easier to make and to use, and allow 8 directions... :-) Well, maybe that's just me.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiles