• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Game Board Converted into Chamber and Hall Tiles

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

Re: Game Board Converted into Chamber and Hall Tiles

Postby chaoticprime » March 12th, 2014, 3:45 pm

You exactly described my setup above.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » March 13th, 2014, 8:49 am

sajungzak wrote:The way I interpret LoS, you can see if anything is on the square just around a corner, like you can see that there is no wall. Not for projectile attacks, mind you. If you don't like this, just tell the players that you cannot see what is on this tile yet while pointing it out. So that covers corners. That leaves the straightsways to be divisible by 3. This works nicely, because after putting a wall, you only have one extra at most, which might be there if they get around to it.

OK, makes sense, if you are playing LoS this way.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sajungzak » March 13th, 2014, 11:33 am

How do you interpret LoS and corners? Do you show that the hall continues but only put monsters out when they have LoS suitable for a thrown dagger or crossbow attack? I treat it like multiple monsters in a hall. They can see that there are monsters behind the closest, but they can't attack them yet. I like KK's method here where spells can be used without LoS.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » March 13th, 2014, 4:08 pm

I put out all tiles they can see. I magnetized them to place them on a rectangular sheet of steel.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » March 13th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » March 14th, 2014, 3:39 am

sajungzak wrote:How do you interpret LoS and corners? Do you show that the hall continues but only put monsters out when they have LoS suitable for a thrown dagger or crossbow attack? I treat it like multiple monsters in a hall. They can see that there are monsters behind the closest, but they can't attack them yet. I like KK's method here where spells can be used without LoS.

As for me, I stick to the original rules and don't mix up LoS (which is for ranged combat and magic only) and room setup. When the heroes enter a previousely unknown room or corridor (=straight segment of hallways), whatever is in there is placed on the board, and that's that. This is the cause why I wondered why CP included corners.
You see, I'm all for custom rules and think a lot about them, but the few times I actually have the opportunity to play, I like not to explain new rules, but go ahead with the basic game we all know and enjoy. It's part of the nostalgica, too. I hope to have a regular gaming group sooner or later, and then we will certainly introduce custom rules in time.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sydcomebak » March 14th, 2014, 5:35 am

Here's how far I got in production:

For scale:

I'll take more pics today when I get more magnets for the in-production stills. Everyone act like they're from a couple days ago, K?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Sydcomebak

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » March 14th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Looking good.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Sydcomebak » March 14th, 2014, 11:48 pm

So the first thing you need to do is get all your tiles printed out onto 110lb cardstock. I went to Staples and brought my own paper, so it was $.49 per page. If I had it to do again, I would combine more tiles per page to save myself money.

Next, find self-adhesive rolls of magnet backing. I went to Hobby Lobby and got 4 rolls for $9.99 each. You can probably find them online for much cheaper, but I was in a rush.

Get a decent pair of scissors.

Cut out all your tiles and corridors leaving a little bit of edge remaining. I ignored the white walls that separate the tiles, so I will have gaps, but because it will be on a black-painted steel plate, It should look fine.
Lay out your tiles to get a good idea of what will fit and try to make the best use of your space so you don't waste magnet. If you do need to have wasted space, leave it on the edges so you can line those up later and maybe combine them into a smaller tile backing. The flat edges line up great for this.
Peel off the backing and lay out your tiles again.
Cut your tiles out to the size you need.
Here is the completed board. I was playing with the center area to see about using tiles for the HQ25th Anniversary tribute quests on it as well...
Here is a look at what I still need to do to make a fully compatible HQ25 magnetic board.

I hope you all like it!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Sydcomebak

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 15th, 2014, 2:37 am

Sydcomebak wrote:I was playing with the center area to see about using tiles for the HQ25th Anniversary tribute quests on it as well...

BLASPHEMY!!!

Looking good, though I'd try and align the shading of the corridor tiles.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiles