• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My homemade modular game board

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

My homemade modular game board

Postby Daria » June 30th, 2012, 12:39 pm

This is a project I've been working on intermittently for the past two months. I downloaded a high resolution scan of the game board, tweaked the colors and noise, divided the rooms and corridors into tile sections and printed them out, glued everything to black foam core and here we are. The movement squares are all slightly larger than normal to allow wiggle room for furniture and doors, an issue my players were constantly complaining about.

I ended up with 12 corner pieces, 4 T-junctions, 6 6 square hallways, 8 5 square hallways, and two double width halls plus rooms. I'm really happy with the result, although the tiles could line up better. Modular the game adds an element of surprise as the players don't instantly know where on the game board they are, more flexiblity for custom scenarios, and I could do purely random layout generation like Warhammer Quest or Advanced Hero Quest.

Last edited by Daria on June 30th, 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: My homemade modular game board

Postby Sjeng » June 30th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Simple, yet very effective! And it looks great!
Superb idea to use it as a modular board as well :D

You should build a frame to hold the original layout together ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby shy-design » June 30th, 2012, 3:41 pm

very cool.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » June 30th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Looks awesome! You could also use the boards from Warhammer Quest to add some variety.
The corridors are in too many small pieces for my taste, but I see why you did it this way...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maike05 » June 30th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Love it! It really makes the compromise between a real modular dungeon and the original game board.

Could you please share a pdf version of your work ? I would appreciate :)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » July 1st, 2012, 1:06 am

Holy crap that is one clever idea. How many times did u use this board and how has it stood up to use so far? I'm assuming you printed with a regular inkjet?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daria » July 1st, 2012, 1:32 am

Regular inkjet on card stock. I've only used it once so far so don't know how durable it actually is. I want to varnish the pieces, but the brush on *lemony goodness* was way too wet. Need to pick up some spray varnish and test how it reacts to the ink.

As for a PDF unfortunately I didn't save any of the pieces as I printed them out.
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 1st, 2012, 3:57 am

That's a shame :(

When using spray varnish: spray very lightly, in multiple layers, and wait for at least 30 minutes in between. Otherwise it may get messy and bubbly. Don't worry if you don't cover an entire piece in the first go.

I always love these pictures from people playing HQ / painting mini's, especially the tiny bits of stuff you see around the picture. A glimpse of a person, or the living room, or just something tiny from someone's life :D
A bookshelf. Makes me want to see more hehe.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 1st, 2012, 6:58 am

I always find it weird when I finally see a picture of a person I have known for years only through chat/forum/games.
You know them only for their online personality, and in the back of your head you have a faint idea what they look like - Which is usually totally wrong!

Of course, Daria ruins the mystery by using a photo of what I assume is herself for avatar ;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daria » July 1st, 2012, 10:23 am

I could compile a PDF later, just would take a little work.

Edit: thanks for the varnishing tip.

And, heh, taking a closer look at my photo all that's really creeping in from the background is an unruly mountain of clean laundry. No one really wants to see how I have more time for games than chores. :p

Goblin-King: You mean you're NOT David Bowie? *incredulous gasp*
Daria

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Tiles