• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Help with pewter miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Help with pewter miniatures

Postby aaronAGN » November 25th, 2017, 11:37 am

If this topic is already around, sorry for the post, i didn't see it.
I just got one of the pewter Morcar minis from the 90s.
But when it arrived in the mail the top of the staff was broken and its hand broke off.
The super glue i used didn't work.
It did manage to glue my fingertips together though.
Should i get a certain type of glue?
Does a certain kind work better on pewter as opposed to plastic?
Last edited by aaronAGN on November 26th, 2017, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

Postby j_dean80 » November 25th, 2017, 12:26 pm

From my limited experience super glue works but you have to hold it in place quite a long time.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » November 25th, 2017, 3:10 pm

j_dean80 wrote:From my limited experience super glue works but you have to hold it in place quite a long time.

Holding it in place seems to be the problem. The fist and staff head are very tiny and I seem to get them stuck to my finger.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » November 25th, 2017, 3:29 pm

I’ve always use Testors metal and wood cement for my metal miniatures. I was just looking up other products and maybe you could try super glue steel repair.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » November 25th, 2017, 4:48 pm

j_dean80 wrote:From my limited experience super glue works but you have to hold it in place quite a long time.

I am able to accelerate the sticking of super glue.

What you need to understand is that super glue cures with water. This is why it immediarely bonds to your fingers.

To make it stick faster, I touch the two pieces together then pull them appart and breath on them as if you were trying to fog a lense for cleaning.

A light weight part usually sticks immediately after this. If not try it a second / third time. You may be using too much glue!

This is the only way to glue the GW skeleton warriors. It is cool that they are posable, but glueing them together is quite taxing.

If the surface is too small and it falls off easily after the glue is dry, you may need to get a micro drill and insert a pin inside both parts to get a good bond. Not sure how much luck you will have drilling pewter, but I suspect these are actally white metal. And the last option is to sculpt new parts from green stuff, which will stick no problem. Infact you could just sandwich some greenstuff inbetween and you should be good to go when it dries.

Let us know what worked for you... and please post a picture!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » November 25th, 2017, 5:58 pm

I just talked with George Solomon-Simms aka Fimm McCool over at the Oldhammer forums.
Also sculptor and owner of Oakbound Studios.
And he also said to try pinning it with a micro drill.
I don't know what that is, where to get it, how much they cost, and what kind of pin to use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And please don't say "Google it"

Whitebeard here's pic 1

aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » November 25th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I'm not an expert with this but I expect the white metal will yield before the drill bit. And this is a cool tool which will come in handy on occasion. I'm always fixing things for my son, so I've used it twice for minis and twice for repairs in the year I have owned it.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Twist-0-3m ... icro+drill

For the pin, you need to select the material yourself, then select the drill bit to match. Short pieces of wire work nicely. I like to use the clipped leads from an electrical resistor. Any metal rod will work, from anywhere.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 25th, 2017, 9:30 pm

aaronAGN wrote:

Holding it in place seems to be the problem. The fist and staff head are very tiny and I seem to get them stuck to my finger.

To fix this problem I prop it up with something or lay it down to dry being sure the glued area isn't touching though.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Fallensaviour » November 25th, 2017, 10:41 pm

I prefer to drill and pin,then crazy glue using the water method,then I’ll put a little green stuff on it to blend in and add strength.
I don’t have a mini drill I use a dremel with mini bits.
Good luck it’s a pain in the ass.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
Fallensaviour

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » November 25th, 2017, 11:35 pm

I don't have a mini drill or a dremmel.
And i don't have ANY intention of buying anything else for this.
I've spent way too much on these minis as it is.
I'm not a collector.
I'm not a miniature hobbyist.
I'm just a guy that wanted to play HeroQuest with his friends.
And I'm frustrated.
Gonna try some stronger glue.
And if that doesn't work, the pewter Morcar is up for grabs for anyone who wants it.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures