• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thor-in's HQ Miniature Collection...

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Thor-in's HQ Miniature Collection...

Postby Pancho » February 21st, 2019, 9:49 am

That's a black Orc, specifically. Games Workshop usually made them wielding two hand weapons, as befitting their fighting style.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Thor-in » February 21st, 2019, 11:10 am

Thantos wrote:Love that orc :D He just shouts "1990s classic plastic". Will get a move on with the bases ;)

Yes it does, only I would say it SCREAMS 1990's classic plastic. That's the good stuff before GW messed it all up.

Pancho wrote:That's a black Orc, specifically. Games Workshop usually made them wielding two hand weapons, as befitting their fighting style.

Yes I know it is, that's why I bought it right when I saw it. I've been on the hunt for classic plastic figures because I like them better. I'm hoping to find more in the upcoming future.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » February 21st, 2019, 3:39 pm

Back when GW didn't think about how hard it would be to rank up the models that you were only buying because they were the cheapest way to get rank-and-file models for your Warhammer army. I never saw those Chaos Warriors ranked up well by anyone, they always looked odd in a unit.

Those were all sold in packs of ten, then later eight, so there must be loads out there.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 21st, 2019, 3:49 pm

cornixt wrote:Back when GW didn't think about how hard it would be to rank up the models that you were only buying because they were the cheapest way to get rank-and-file models for your Warhammer army. I never saw those Chaos Warriors ranked up well by anyone, they always looked odd in a unit.

Those were all sold in packs of ten, then later eight, so there must be loads out there.

Probably it just finding someone that is selling them, this seller is selling them one at a time saying that they have eight available (could be different by now).

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » February 21st, 2019, 5:03 pm

Thor-in wrote:The guy I got the Beastman, and Chaos Warriors from has more for sale one eBay for $8.99 each with free shipping at the moment, just an FYI

That Chaos Warrior is a Talisman 3rd edition character. That's why it is expensive. Talisman figures were reissued later in small boxes; the Chaos Warrior was included in a pack called "FT08 Chaos Warband" (4 skaven, 4 beastman and 1 chaos warrior). But there was also a Waharammer box with 10 CW.
More pic here: https://www.talismanisland.com/miniatur ... -box-range
I am curious to know the price you payd for the Black Orc.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 21st, 2019, 7:23 pm

lestodante wrote:I am curious to know the price you payd for the Black Orc.

Around $6.50

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby KrautScientist » February 21st, 2019, 8:25 pm

I still remember those 10 man boxes well enough from back in the day -- and they even appeared in the old WFB army books as a suggestion for quickly filling up the ranks of your army: Just combine some of the mono-pose models with a metal command group, and bob's your uncle. Of course the resulting units looked a little boring, but those were different days ;)

I have to admit that I only found out those models originated with Talisman earlier this year when I started to research all kinds of HQ related stuff. I am happy to still own a couple of those old models (an Orc or two, some Skaven, a Chaos Warrior, and there should also be a Black Orc somewhere), along with a still unpainted collection of various Talisman wizards that were later repackaged as a set of different (mostly) Imperial wizards. All of these are really close in design to the general HeroQuest vibe, if you ask me, although that Chaos Warrior has to take the cake ;)

As for the task of lining up those mono-pose models, some of us tried, at least...

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Thor-in » February 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm

KrautScientist, I am going to nickname you Captain America. Stop trying to pick up my hammer, your not worthy. :p :D :lol:
Just messing with you, it's all good. You did a nice job on them also not as good as your other work through. |_P

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby KrautScientist » February 21st, 2019, 9:37 pm

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread ;)

And yeah, those Chaos Warriors definitely cannot keep up with my more recent work -- but then they were painted as part of my first WFB Chaos Army about 20 years ago, so that should explain it ;) Still pretty happy with the handpainted banner, though...

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Thor-in » February 28th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Here is one of the four Fimirs I got from Thantos.

P_20190228_105608.jpg

I'll edit the post later with what colors I used to paint said Fimir. Next I'll be working on one of the Lizardmen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures