• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Additional Cardboard + Plastic Furniture Pieces

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Additional Cardboard + Plastic Furniture Pieces

Postby Spookyhappyfun » September 3rd, 2017, 7:50 am

In my quest to expand HeroQuest, one of the things I've been looking for is additional 3d furniture and dungeon decorations. While I like that there's companies like Zealot Miniatures who are making very detailed and fantastic pieces that seem to fit the scale, I feel like one of the things that's missing for me is the sense of simplicity and versatility of the originals. Something about the originals' simple one-color (but paintable) molded plastic pieces mixed with printed color cardboard just worked beautifully and gave everything a feel that hasn't yet been recreated, in my opinion.

This led me to wonder, has anyone tried their hand at designing additional furniture like that that does seem to match the originals? I know we've got some great miniature sculptors here and some beautiful tile artists. Maybe they can get together and work to design something with 1 or 2 simple single-color plastic pieces that work together with a printed color cardboard piece.

Also, does anyone have any ideas of what furniture would work and how it could be designed?

I think a bed would be a fine start. I think the head and footboards could be brown plastic pieces with the mattress/pillow/sheets printed as an image on cardboard that fitted into the plastic much like the table.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Spookyhappyfun on September 3rd, 2017, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Additional Cardboard + Plastic Furniture Pieces

Postby whitebeard » September 3rd, 2017, 8:33 am

Try DM Scotty on YouTube.

His furniture is Heroic scale and at appropriate detail levels. Barrels, beds, bedding, doors, etc.

You can even HQ it up by adding rats and skulls everywhere.

You can even mix his designs with pre printed cardboard parts, and honestly you dont need an artist to recreate the HQ look. Just re-use the original art or run a photo you find on google through a comic type filter.

Remember to post pictures of your projects!!!!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » September 6th, 2017, 8:26 am

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like other sculpted miniature furniture and homemade stuff. I've seen some incredible things. Hell, I just made my first Zealot Miniatures purchase this weekend, and I'm sure it'll be the first of many.

But I was specifically thinking about the style of the HeroQuest furniture with their mix of molded plastic and cardboard. I feel like it's such a unique look that it'd be fun to see someone try their hand at replicating.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » September 16th, 2017, 7:46 am

It looks like this guy, along with an entire new quest pack, has the idea for new columns that resemble the original HeroQuest furniture.

http://heroquestaddon.forumgratuit.org/

I wish I knew more French.

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 16th, 2017, 8:07 am

That's ghan and his great quest pack Champion de l'Empire,
which I have translated years ago.
With the help of Daedalus, Sjeng, drathe, and StratosVX aaaand I hope I didn't forget anyone,
there's now both British and American format here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tdbwhwzxld920ss/AACioSnOSr_up6cs2q7FoBqpa?dl=0

The cardboard parts of the furniture are in the French booklet.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » September 16th, 2017, 8:20 am

NA English! Perfect! Just what I was hoping for!

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 10th, 2018, 8:30 am

This topic made me think of RemyT's gorgeous furniture in this topic. His rare skillset successfully idealized the classic furniture with 3-D and and painting technique better than anybody is likely to ever achieve.

Besides the inspirational benefit, I think the OP also provides a good look at the AHQ door base. See how the figures lean over the threshold? I think new HQ furniture could use that design over the blocky gray bases included in the game. I still would be in favor of a printed door that is inserted in to keep the hybrid look. [Oh--and a double door is definitely needed as well.

Some kind of a water piece, either a fountain or a well, could fit in many Quests. I see a 2x2 footprint, with a sculpted, gray top and printed sides. -edit]

A mine cart would be cool. It would need a sculpted brown bottom and top with printed sides. A small set of rail tiles would probably be needed to compliment it, however.

As you've discovered, Ghan's pillar is great. A molded gray top and bottom would integrate them even better.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » February 11th, 2018, 8:24 am

Daedalus wrote:This topic made me think of RemyT's gorgeous furniture in this topic. His rare skillset successfully idealized the classic furniture with 3-D and and painting technique better than anybody is likely to ever achieve.

Besides the inspirational benefit, I think the OP also provides a good look at the AHQ door base. See how the figures lean over the threshold? I think new HQ furniture could use that design over the blocky gray bases included in the game. I still would be in favor of a printed door that is inserted in to keep the hybrid look. [Oh--and a double door is definitely needed as well.

Some kind of a water piece, either a fountain or a well, could fit in many Quests. I see a 2x2 footprint, with a sculpted, gray top and printed sides. -edit]

A mine cart would be cool. It would need a sculpted brown bottom and top with printed sides. A small set of rail tiles would probably be needed to compliment it, however.

As you've discovered, Ghan's pillar is great. A molded gray top and bottom would integrate them even better.

These are fantastic ideas!

Also, RemyT's art is kind of why I don't paint minis. It's so good that I'd feel like my painting could never live up to it and I'd feel weird about it all the time. I know that everyone starts off with little skill and gets better over time, but I'm just not that good at detail stuff and I know my starting point just isn't great. I'm not an artist. Oh well.

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 12th, 2018, 8:54 pm

This topic links to some great paper models that could work for inspiration at least.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Miniatures