• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Help modding miniature

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Help modding miniature

Postby Decipher » October 3rd, 2015, 10:20 pm

I have this Parker Brothers D&D Cleric miniature which has a tall base, any idea how I can trim it down as close to a HQ miniature? I've never modded a miniature as of yet.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Help modding miniature

Postby sajungzak » October 3rd, 2015, 11:39 pm

Here's a couple options.

First, you could use sandpaper. I find it best to move the mini in a circular motion while the sandpaper is on a hard flat surface. Be sure to hold it straight, applying pressure evenly. Be careful not to breath the dust this creates.

A better option would be to get a HeroQuest style base replica and swap it out. Carefully cut around the feet (I've used wire cutters with satisfactory results. Or you could use a hobby knife. Once I tried heating the blade of a scalpel. This worked ok but ruined the blade.) Then sand the bottoms of the feet so they are flat, and glue it to the matching base. There are many ways of accomplishing this including adding reinforcements.

Be creative, use your ingenuity, and above all, post pictures of the results!
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » October 3rd, 2015, 11:53 pm

sajungzak wrote:Here's a couple options.

First, you could use sandpaper. I find it best to move the mini in a circular motion while the sandpaper is on a hard flat surface. Be sure to hold it straight, applying pressure evenly. Be careful not to breath the dust this creates.

A better option would be to get a HeroQuest style base replica and swap it out. Carefully cut around the feet (I've used wire cutters with satisfactory results. Or you could use a hobby knife. Once I tried heating the blade of a scalpel. This worked ok but ruined the blade.) Then sand the bottoms of the feet so they are flat, and glue it to the matching base. There are many ways of accomplishing this including adding reinforcements.

Be creative, use your ingenuity, and above all, post pictures of the results!

Hey sajungzak, as soon as I posted this topic, I tried it out on a Dark World Ogre. I done exactly like you said with the sand paper. Used a broken HQ Zombie base because the miniatures feet are close together and the Ogre's are wide. Worked out pretty good I think. I might try this with the Cleric, sand it down, if it doesnt work out I'll do the second options. I will post some pics of the Cleric when it stops raining, which should be Thursday of this week. Thanks for the points.... |_P ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » October 4th, 2015, 1:53 am

For projects like this I would use a fine tooth saw to cut the soles of the feet from the base, then use plastic glue to reattach it to a HQ base.
Something like this:

Of course that requires some spare HQ minis. I just bought a batch of half painted orcs just for stealing bases...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » October 4th, 2015, 2:23 am

Goblin-King wrote:For projects like this I would use a fine tooth saw to cut the soles of the feet from the base, then use plastic glue to reattach it to a HQ base.
Something like this:

Of course that requires some spare HQ minis. I just bought a batch of half painted orcs just for stealing bases...

I probably shouldn't have been an amateur and used super glue then huh?

Rewards:
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » October 4th, 2015, 2:28 am

Superglue isn't a problem.
Throw the model in a freezer for half an hour, take it out and the Base will come apart nearly on it's own free will.
The one thing superglue can't stand is rapid temperature changes.
If one time isn't sufficient, let it warm and repeat the process. :)

Thantos is selling HQ bases looking like the originals.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » October 4th, 2015, 2:34 am

Anderas wrote:Superglue isn't a problem.
Throw the model in a freezer for half an hour, take it out and the Base will come apart nearly on it's own free will.
The one thing superglue can't stand is rapid temperature changes.
If one time isn't sufficient, let it warm and repeat the process. :)

Thantos is selling HQ bases looking like the originals.

Noted, thanks for the info. ;)

Rewards:
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » October 4th, 2015, 5:57 am

Just note that if you go the Thantos route; his bases are resin, so superglue would be preferred in that case.
Plastic glue for plastic on plastic.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Miniatures