• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My minis

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: My minis

Postby Anderas » April 19th, 2020, 11:57 am

Thanks for your kind words!
For me things really changed when I started to use a wet palette, not only to mix the colors but mainly to control the consistency (creamy for white over black, milky for most of what you want, and then even thinner if you just want to change something a slight little bit)

then I started using a bigger brush with a sharper point than before

and finally I cheated by using -4 (or was it 4?) diopter glasses for the very fine details despite having good eyes. :D

I reduced my pile of shame a little bit today

And started the Sorcerers Table. Man that one makes cramps :) Work in progress, though

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » April 19th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Can you please post a photo of your 4x glasses? I bought a couple of model in the past and they really sucks, to work properly and zoom the figure at 4x I have to take the miniature at 2 cm from my eyes which is then very uncomfortable to paint.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 19th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Ahh nice fresh minis! They look great, I love the new archer! Where is this one from?
And the writing on the book...wow.
I want to up my painting game when I see this, it all looks so clean! I definitely gonna get a wetpalette.

Are these special kind of glasses?

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » April 19th, 2020, 5:34 pm

You can make a week pallette easily at home. If you want to buy one they are cheap, but very ready too make. James wappel had a lot of YouTube tutorials for painting and had one on how to make one. He is an amazing painter.

Not sure on the Archer, but is that a Warhammer quest goblin Archer? Warhammer quest has great orc archers too.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 20th, 2020, 3:39 am

My glasses really are not a secret

They are those glasses you can get in the supermarket and that you should never buy because they are not adapted to your eyes. I just tried the two most extreme models and tried to see if I could make something out in 10 cm distance. One of the models worked more or less. I don't like to use them at all, only in the most extreme cases I use them for five minutes.

The biggest step forward for me really was the wet palette and a good brush.
Wet palette: A watertight box, some paper kitchen towel inside, made wet, white baking paper on top (though it works just as well with brown paper... You just shan't use oiled baking paper), done

Later I exchanged the paper towel with a sponge. That worked well for a time, until this happened:

Now I am back to paper towels. They are exchangeable. :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 20th, 2020, 4:39 am

Trying to do marble. Not sure if it works though

... and Chaos Warrior, second try

... and some tables, too. To try how to make an cheap and easy wood pattern. Turns out, it's not so easy. Especially not so easily repeatable.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » April 20th, 2020, 10:31 am

Anderas wrote:Trying to do marble. Not sure if it works though

Not bad, here's a tutorial if yo want to see someone else do it too.

https://youtu.be/ZiTNhEG4SGQ
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » April 20th, 2020, 11:30 am

It turned out good, in the end. But I think it is a little bit too much contrast...
Well, it's good enough. Or is it?

Finally I think I have to rework the topmost layer. Too much contrast, too less as I want it... :-)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » April 20th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I like the marble look. I think you did a good job on it. I really like the wood look you achieved.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » April 20th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Yay! That altar looks awesome! I would do a little less contrast too but it looks great already.

And Rusty that marble painting link is gold! Great resource thanks for this, I saved it!

Do you have any recommendations Anderas on a good brush? I ve used only cheap ones so far but I got myself a wet palette. I used the parchment paper solution so far but it was always a mess and I never had the right paper so I just got one now. :D

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures