• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

knightkrawler's gallery

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

Postby Goblin-King » December 3rd, 2016, 5:39 am

Oh man! These all look really good! Especially the orcs have some really nice skin colors.
Your metals look really good as well.

I'll be honest though and say I think the fonts are a bit too sloppy.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » December 3rd, 2016, 5:57 am

Goblin-King wrote:I'll be honest though and say I think the fonts are a bit too sloppy.

I agree. Been thinking about giving each figure type an acronym of some sort to make the inscription much much smaller.
And dots for the numbers like on dice.
Maybe someday I'll draw icons and make decals. Hmmm...

Other than that, thanks for the praise, dude.
I did the metals on the wights with a gray basecoat over black, washing and shading with Coelia Greenshade, drybrushing up to medium gray,
and then highlighting, drybrushing, and dotting (very very little) with silver, and last giving it rust with brown and orange.
The metals on the Orcs were a silver basecoat with a lot of washing and shading and weathering. Somehow I prefer to start light with metallics and tone them down (not too much, though).
I have found that the darker available metallic colors are too dark to highlight from. I have no use for them.

I now have developed* a new technique that I'm very happy with for metals, namely basecoating gray and then wet-blending the mid-tones with a light metallic paint (silver, brass, what have you) and the shadow color with non-metallic paints (dark sea blue, dark brown, violet...) directly over it, and then highlighting with metallics and shading further with non-metallics, and last weathering (rust, verdigris) and glazing reflection colors.
* I am aware that probably somewhere someone came up with that before. What I mean by "developed" is I didn't see anyone doing it, but came up with it myself because of the teoretic apporach to how shiny highlights and shadows on a metallic surface should be. I can adjust the dulled down shadows' matte finish by brushing a gloss varnish if I want to.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 3rd, 2016, 4:16 pm

...aaaand the Mongrels.
Wanted to bring in the mutation of the big catastrophy that happened in my background world, that's why color.

HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thantos » December 6th, 2016, 7:43 am

Looking awesome! These deserve bigger pictures! :P
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 6th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Thantos wrote:Looking awesome! These deserve bigger pictures! :P

But then you'll see the mistakes!

Kidding aside, what is the best size for pictures of this kind?
These last ones are 500x375 pixel. Should I resize to 800x600?
I feel much bigger is not really doing any good, as I have observed time and time again in blogs and forums.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cornixt » December 7th, 2016, 10:37 am

The pixel size is fine, they are a little blurry but that's not a size issue.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » December 7th, 2016, 11:46 am

I've heard that he adds a blurry filter in post production to hide mistakes and inaccuracies :o

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » December 7th, 2016, 4:31 pm

Schmidt wrote:I've heard that he adds a blurry filter in post production to hide mistakes and inaccuracies :o

Sarcasm: I'll agree with you just because it's KK. /Sarcasm It is good to see peoples work and how they progress.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 18th, 2016, 4:54 am

These Skeletons have the same stats as the regualr ones,
but may attack any square in line of sight with their bows.
The models are from Reaper and while bulky and quite different in style from my Confrontation Skeletons,
I am very happy with this set.
While this is not my most detailed work (otherwise I wouldn't get anything done), the contrast of the cloth and the base with the neutral but varying bone tones work for me.

Aaaaand my regular Goblins...
I wasn't satisfied with any models I've seen, except these from Red Box Games.
This manufacturer was the only one combining the "evil" cliché with the cowardly cunning scallywag type Goblin style, retaining the big long noses.
The setback is that they are tiny. These bases are 20 mm rounds.
One of these days I'll post a size comparison with my Confrontation Orcs, and that will be the day you'll understand why I can give these Goblins only 1 Attack die.
To accomodate, they have MAM, which means they can move part of their movement points, then attack, then move the rest of their movement points on each of their turns.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 18th, 2016, 5:56 am

knightkrawler wrote:Aaaaand my regular Goblins...
I wasn't satisfied with any models I've seen, except these from Red Box Games.
This manufacturer was the only one combining the "evil" cliché with the cowardly cunning scallywag type Goblin style, retaining the big long noses.
The setback is that they are tiny. These bases are 20 mm rounds.

Oooh, I agree with this. Good goblins are actually hard to find.
GW almost got it right, but their goblins have such huge teeth and jaws.
I rather like these Pathfinder goblins. They have a good look, but it's a very different look.
Though, why those holes in their weapons. If the goblins are lazy enough to make crude barely functional weapons, why would they bother to make holes in them?

Did you paint their noses blue for any particular reason?
I think the more obvious color would have been a brownish/red tint to show how the blood vessels are closer in the extremities (nose, ears and fingers).
Artistic differences aside, these look great as always ;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures