• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

knightkrawler's gallery

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

knightkrawler's gallery

Postby knightkrawler » October 28th, 2013, 11:14 am

So, guess what!?
I started painting today. The first three results:

Feedback, please.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

Postby TMU » October 28th, 2013, 11:48 am

Nonono stop that. I hate these :p

Better than mine :(
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 28th, 2013, 11:49 am

Oh, c'mon, you have 16 years ahead of you to practise that I haven't.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » October 28th, 2013, 11:59 am

I can only offer praise since I've never painted a mini with more than one color :)

Your tones are very nice--I like the bones especially. The touch of purple flesh rot on the mummy is a nice color detail. I also like what you did with the orc's cleaver.

Bonus points for keeping the original HQ bases!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » October 28th, 2013, 12:12 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Oh, c'mon, you have 16 years ahead of you to practise that I haven't.

:( I guess so then...

But serously, awezome!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby IvenBach » October 28th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Much better than my first attempts. I'd say to thin down the paint a bit. The best advice I got came from mophus who told me that he has to paint everything twice on account of how much he thins his paints. I've come to rather do that and preserve the detail than get it coated once and loose some of the detail. Did you drybrush your mummy? It seems like in the crevices there should be more filth than there is. On your skeletons foot you have some of the grey creeping up onto his foot. Solid effort for first time, again better than my firsts.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 28th, 2013, 12:59 pm

The rust effect is very nicely done in particular.
You picked a delicious bone colour. I like the simple bases. Overall very nice - especially for a first try!

While I can appreciate an orc having dark rotten teeth I think it would work better in a lighter more visible colour. Use the bone colour from the skeleton! Then maybe mix a tad of brown at the bottom.

The orc's ayes aren't as visible as they could be. My guess is that you painted red on top of green? Red is a terrible colour to paint on top of things with.
The trick here is to first paint the sockets either total black or very dark green. Then paint the eyes white, and THEN paint them red.

A possibility - but by no means a must! - is to paint thin light brown stripes along the scythe's handle. Personally I find pure brown smooth wood a little boring.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 28th, 2013, 1:01 pm

IvenBach wrote:I'd say to thin down the paint a bit.

Good eye. Says a great deal about you have improved yourself. I agree, I was a little impatient with thinning down. If I paint that way on a more detailed mini it's gonna be a wreck. Thin down paint, duly noted.

IvenBach wrote:Did you drybrush your mummy? It seems like in the crevices there should be more filth than there is.

The mummy is by far the worst of the three. Yes, drybrushed, but much too bright in the end. But it's gonna be saved, I think.

IvenBach wrote:On your skeletons foot you have some of the grey creeping up onto his foot.

Let's call it dirt, shall we?
I still have to touch up the eyes on Mummy and Skeleton. I decided on a bright green glow in the eyes of all my undead who are controlled by necromancy. Purple for black magic.
Tips, for green glowing eyes, anyone? Should I try to put something of an eyeball in there, liquid green stuff with a toothpick, and then paint over that?

@ TMU and GyG: Thanks, guys...

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 28th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Goblin-King wrote:The rust effect is very nicely done in particular.
You picked a delicious bone colour. I like the simple bases. Overall very nice - especially for a first try!

While I can appreciate an orc having dark rotten teeth I think it would work better in a lighter more visible colour. Use the bone colour from the skeleton! Then maybe mix a tad of brown at the bottom.

The orc's ayes aren't as visible as they could be. My guess is that you painted red on top of green? Red is a terrible colour to paint on top of things with.
The trick here is to first paint the sockets either total black or very dark green. Then paint the eyes white, and THEN paint them red.

A possibility - but by no means a must! - is to paint thin light brown stripes along the scythe's handle. Personally I find pure brown smooth wood a little boring.

I agree with all of this. The Orc's teeth, I must admit, I simply forgot to highlight. Skeleton bone was the plan color for that, yeah.
Scythe will be touched up, too.
For the Orc's eyes, you guessed right. I knew about the problem with red, so I tried a bright reddish orange, which came out as the right color, but not in the intensity I wanted. Thought I could pull it off, trial tried, error done.

Thanks for the tips, I will implement all of them.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby el_flesh » October 28th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Check Goblin King's Skel - it has these highlights on it. Your skel will look loads better with some highlights, too!

Love the mummy and the Orc.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures