• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Rookery

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: The Rookery

Postby Rook » March 20th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates, between the baby being sick, a business trip to Vegas, and record snowfall in this part of Canada, I've slipped behind on my project log. However, I haven't slipped behind on my painting and I think I've secured a way to get better photos of my figs until I get my own setup at home (Friend of mine does professional photography and she's photographed models before apparently. Who knew this was a regular thing?) So hopefully I can soon start showing off some much nicer photos!

On the log side of things I've nearly completed all the game system Orcs (Flails left to be highlighted), leaving Fimir, Gobbos, Chaos Sorcerer, Gargoyle, and Barbarian left to do (Leaving the Barbarian as the treat at the end!)

ampersand wrote:sorry for hijacking..just thought id help :)


If my thread can be used to help more than one person with painting and enjoying Heroquest then it's not hijacking, it's enhancement |_P

Pitbullsandaks wrote:Just got done carving my bases like yours rook. Soon I will be giving this painting thing a shot.


Good luck Pitbull! It's your first step on a much larger journey! If you need any encouragement as you go, make sure to check out the first couple of posts in my thread and see how my first few models turned out. With the amount of experience and resources you have to pull on I am sure your first models will be far superior to my somewhat humble beginnings!

You got this!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir
 
Posts: 67
Joined: February 16th, 2015, 8:14 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Rookery

Postby cynthialee » March 20th, 2015, 10:44 pm

I find Northern Wasteland Barbie is the most aggravating to paint in a way I like. Just don't like the mini to be honest.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1848
Images: 4
Joined: September 27th, 2011, 10:56 am
Location: the forests of Washington State
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby Pitbullsandaks » March 21st, 2015, 1:38 am

That why I went for the more expensive paints. Hopefully the higher quality will leave a little less room for failure. I want them to turn out decent so I don't give up on them.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Pitbullsandaks

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 91
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby slev » March 23rd, 2015, 7:27 am

For what it's worth...

Slev's quick skeleton method:
1. Base coat dark brown
2. Drubrish mid brown
3. Drybrush bone
4. light Drybrush white
5. layer of brown wash or thinned brown ink.

Slev's quick mummy method:
1. Base coat dark brown
2. Drubrish mid brown
3. Drybrush dark grey
4. Drybrush cream
5. light Drybrush light pink
6. layer of brown wash or thinned brown ink.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
slev

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1069
Images: 6
Joined: August 26th, 2014, 7:55 am
Location: Manchester
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby Pitbullsandaks » March 23rd, 2015, 9:00 am

I think i am going to experiment a little today.


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Pitbullsandaks

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 91
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby cornixt » March 23rd, 2015, 10:04 am

slev wrote:For what it's worth...

Slev's quick skeleton method:
1. Base coat dark brown
2. Drubrish mid brown
3. Drybrush bone
4. light Drybrush white
5. layer of brown wash or thinned brown ink.


Mine's a bit quicker (although probably not looking as good):
1. Base coat black
2. Dry brush white
3. Brown wash
4. Highlights if you feel like it in bone-colour.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
cornixt

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 813
Joined: November 4th, 2014, 12:56 pm
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby Rook » March 23rd, 2015, 11:04 am

For today's update I've got the last bunch of orcs finished off. Think I'm gonna treat myself and do one of the singles next, like the Chaos Sorcerer.

Image


While we're talking paint schemes, here is my skeletons' scheme. This takes a few more steps, but I was quite pleased with the results (Despite how the picture looks)

Base: Steel Legion Drab
Highlight: Zamesi
Highlight: Ushabti Bone
Shade: Agrax/Medium (50/50mix)
Drybrush: Tyrant Skull
Drybrush: White Scar (This creates much higher highlights so I can work back down)
Shade: Seraphim Sepia
Highlight: Screaming Skull
Highlight: White Scar
Cleanup: Seraphim (Along spot where there should be distinction but isn't in the Heroquest figs, like between the forearm and the hip bone)
Cleanup: Agrax

Scythe
Base: Leadbelcher
Shade: 2x Agrax
Highlight: Runefang Steel (Sharp edges)

Hope that helps!


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir
 
Posts: 67
Joined: February 16th, 2015, 8:14 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby knightkrawler » March 23rd, 2015, 1:07 pm

slev wrote:For what it's worth...

Slev's quick skeleton method:
1. Base coat dark brown
2. Drubrish mid brown
3. Drybrush bone
4. light Drybrush white
5. layer of brown wash or thinned brown ink.

Slev's quick mummy method:
1. Base coat dark brown
2. Drubrish mid brown
3. Drybrush dark grey
4. Drybrush cream
5. light Drybrush light pink
6. layer of brown wash or thinned brown ink.


cornixt wrote:Mine's a bit quicker (although probably not looking as good):
1. Base coat black
2. Dry brush white
3. Brown wash
4. Highlights if you feel like it in bone-colour.


Instead of any of these dark or mid browns you can also try an olive green, depending on how dark it is.
And Flesh colors when drybrushing a skeleton for the midtones.
There's all kinds of things to try on a Skeleton and if I were you I would do so, because the "Drybrush-A-Skeleton" lesson is the most forgiving and third-eye-opening.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5825
Images: 27
Joined: May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby Rook » March 25th, 2015, 8:29 pm

After having found an Orc that escaped and painting it up, I've moved on to the Goblins. I'm almost ready to do The Trial and getting rather excited!

Here's the current checklist for The Trial

The Heroes
1 Barbarian
1 Dwarf
1 Elf
1 Wizard

The Greenskins
5 Goblins
6 Orcs
1 Fimir

The Undead
2 Zombies
4 Skeletons
2 Mummies

Legions of Chaos
3 Chaos Warriors
Verag - The Gargoyle

Was debating on doing up a custom Gargoyle for Verag, but frankly since this is the first time they'll see a Gargoyle I suspect his mere presence to be enough. I'm also debating on giving all the furniture a lick of paint and doing some custom stuff later, but the The Trial seems to use every.stick.of.furniture.... so I may hold off until I can do them up proper.

In the meantime though, 8 more figs and I'll be ready to run my first quest in way too many years! |_P


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir
 
Posts: 67
Joined: February 16th, 2015, 8:14 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: The Rookery

Postby Pitbullsandaks » March 25th, 2015, 10:36 pm

With your skills, you better do the furniture sometime!


Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Pitbullsandaks

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 91
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest