• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Gargoyles: The Awakening board game.

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Gargoyles: The Awakening board game.

Postby BroccoliRage » February 25th, 2023, 6:23 pm

So, I enjoyed the Gargoyles series as a kid. There is a cheap city-based dungeon crawler I picked up for $20 based on the show.

I won't have a chance to play until tomorrow. But here's some of the contents.

So here's the board. It's not very big, may 1 1/2' square. I like the presentation, but the cardboard is a bit flimsy. Not super thin, but not terribly dense. Because I don't think it will hold up to repeated dis/assembly, I'll be gluing these building together tomorrow night and keeping them in a shoebox.

Above are the miniatures. The plastic is bit soft, rubbery, and they aren't super detailed, but the sculpts really aren't bad. My daughter has already called dibs on painting them. There are some mold lines that need cleaned up.

Here they are with a rusty old penny for scale.

The components are in the cheap side, but honestly that's just fine by me, as it kept the price tag low.

We're playing tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what I think about gameplay after we've had a session.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Gargoyles: The Awakening board game.

Postby StratosVX » February 25th, 2023, 7:11 pm

I loved this cartoon so I'd like to hear how the game is. I didn't even know this existed. Thanks!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby BroccoliRage » February 25th, 2023, 8:11 pm

StratosVX wrote:I loved this cartoon so I'd like to hear how the game is. I didn't even know this existed. Thanks!

No problem. It's cheap, but only 4 quests are in the box. It looks like an enterprising person could easily come up with more.

It contains 3 cooperative quests and one that features the player as a bad guy vs. everyone else.

I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot. It looks pretty light, which appeals to me. The thing that keeps me treating Gloomhaven and Descent LOTD as HeroQuest expansions is the needlessly dense rules.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby BroccoliRage » February 27th, 2023, 7:11 pm

So, the kid and I were pretty sick Sunday and haven't had a chance to play yet. I'll post something after we do.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby BroccoliRage » March 26th, 2023, 8:54 pm

Alright, here we go.

We played the first scenario. The game is cooperative, with each turn broken into a player phase and then a villain phase. The attack dice are six sided, with some faces containing claw marks, others containing lightning bolts, and others blank. Each character has individual skills and traits unique to that character. My daughter and I played as Eliza and Goliath, respectively. Drawn cards allow for special attacks or conditions to be played during the active player's turn. After the villains rack up a certain amount of played cards, you move to daytime conditions, with results in healing or recovering of other playable points. This is the Cliff's Notes version, I'm aware.

Villains and their minions attack players depending on a set of rules. Typically the enemies will go after the player closest to them. In the scenario we played, we went up against Xanatos and Demona, with Coldstone acting as an unkillable minion. The game went with me gliding from rooftop to rooftop as the sprout provided covering fire from the street. We took out Demona quickly, but I made a tactical blunder and found myself stuck between Coldstone and Xanatos. The rules of the scenario stated that if either of us were defeated it was a loss of the skirmish, so with the beating I ended up taking we lost our first outing.

My thoughts on the game...

The instructions are a bit unclear but if you perseverance through a session you can figure the game out. The difficulty and depth of strategy surprised me for a licensed Disney game. The blunder I made was rushing headlong into the enemy and trying to tank my way through. While I could take a lot of punishment, I ended getting spanked in two rounds. The sprout played more conservatively, staying just out of reach and providing added damage.

Ranged attacks are not blocked by cover and I consider this to be a poor game design choice. But it's the only one I really dislike. I like the highly specialized traits of each player character, and the rules are set up in a way that players can't really send minions and villains after another player. If you go in too deep, you'll find yourself overwhelmed. Stay too far apart and the same can happen. Group up too closely and you can make yourselves easier targets. The game honestly requires cooperation. There is an element of chance provided by random card draws and combat dice, the combat system reminds one of HeroQuest a little. "Dungeon crawler" was a bad name for this game, this is a light tactical cooperative skirmish game.

There are four scenarios that are pretty high in replayability included, and there is potential for expansion with this game. If it catches on, I could see a few official expansions taking place, but it also seems to me that with a little work one could homebrew their own scenarios, random conditions, and even extra characters. I'd personally like to see more Villains.

I will add more to this review as we play if necessary, but so far...

Pros:

Cheap game, roughly $20
Moderate depth of play
Fast pace of play
Nice presentation
Good family skirmish game, could work as a fun introduction to wargaming
Strategically and tactically engaging
Encourages player communication

Cons:
Instructions are written in a sometimes confusing and obtuse manner
Questionable lack of cover vs ranged fire mechanic
Components are not very durable (suggest gluing the building together and storing separately)
As noted above, storage container isn't big enough to contain assembled buildings

I rate this 7/10. Not an astoundingly excellent game, but pretty good. Considering the price and replayability factor, I definitely recommend it. Good for days when some fast action with tough combat is what your looking for.
BroccoliRage

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Return to Other Games Room