• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle / Age of Sigmar

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Re: Warhammer Fantasy Battle / Age of Sigmar

Postby Big Bene » July 15th, 2015, 10:41 am

Tott wrote:really? i think some of them look great! id swap the heads on these guys
As space marines, they would work.
tasoe wrote:But I can see lots of people not buying their new crap and moving over to other tabletop games, at least for a couple of years when they will come back to their senses (unlikely).
Should we move in? Could be the perfect time for a new, well done Tabletop ruleset. We could start a kickstarter...
Well, I'm dreaming... :roll:
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » July 15th, 2015, 11:38 am

Tott wrote:really? i think some of them look great! id swap the heads on these guys
but i think they'd make great knights and paladins.

i loved the more recent dwarves too.

These are ridiculous and silly. That dude couldn't hold up that huge hammer even if his strength was doubled with sorcery.
The age of steroid mini's is getting worse and worse every year. I mean seriously why do they do that? It looks comical, not scary.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Tott » July 15th, 2015, 12:15 pm

cynthialee wrote:These are ridiculous and silly. That dude couldn't hold up that huge hammer even if his strength was doubled with sorcery.
The age of steroid mini's is getting worse and worse every year. I mean seriously why do they do that? It looks comical, not scary.

that's hardly unique to war hammer! the fantasy genre is packed full of imagery like that. look at any fantasy game and you'll see people swinging half a ton of metal in each hand.

whitebeard wrote:Yep, new heads and new weapons, and shave the markings off of the shields . My point is that I didn't have to do any of this with my Warriors of Chaos. They had lots of heads, none without helmets but MANY styles. And they had MANY weapon choices. The Sigmar guys I looked at all had Lions on their belts/chests. These do look more generic and useful, thank you. I don't have spare heads and paladin swords lying around, so I will pass.

they come with about 3 or 4 weapons options each, swords and off hand blades included.

I haven't played warhammer in over 20 years, no interest in it, but i do like some of their models. the units usually offer pretty good value for money as well.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » July 15th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Tott wrote:
whitebeard wrote:Yep, new heads and new weapons, and shave the markings off of the shields . My point is that I didn't have to do any of this with my Warriors of Chaos. They had lots of heads, none without helmets but MANY styles. And they had MANY weapon choices. The Sigmar guys I looked at all had Lions on their belts/chests. These do look more generic and useful, thank you. I don't have spare heads and paladin swords lying around, so I will pass.

they come with about 3 or 4 weapons options each, swords and off hand blades included.

I haven't played warhammer in over 20 years, no interest in it, but i do like some of their models. the units usually offer pretty good value for money as well.

I actually like several WH minis. I enjoy the level of customization. I have the dwarf warriors, chaos warriors, new spirit host, river trolls, skeleton warriors, cairn wraith, and some 40k Fenrisian wolves. I really like not having to worry about scale like I do with reaper.

I did not see pictures of alternate weapons, just 1 hand and two handed hammers. Blades sound cool. But I did see the alternate heads... Not something I can work with. Perhaps these had swords, but I was looking at the helms? Too many other models I want first.

I'm disappointed every time GW releases new stuff, and I don't want it for HQ. So my gripe is different. Been a while since anything new has caught my eye.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 15th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, I do have some WH stuff, but they are not too ridiculous in the overly 'roided out department. The old school stuff is best of the lot.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » July 15th, 2015, 2:04 pm

The best way to think about AoS is that it isn't warhammer, it is a completely different game. I wouldn't worry about it being "discontinued" it has a large enough fan base that it will survive and the rules will be up online in no time if you want to play.
The models though, although multi part aren't multi pose and some are studiedly fiddly, although some are good minis. The ideaa about getting rid of the point system was hard to get my head around at first, but it does open it up for a greater range of story telling, so you can fight an army of giants, and there are a few compensation rules to give objectives, such as assassination or holding ground for a set number of turns to try and make up for the fact you are outnumbered and out gunned. I have the minis part painted and am waiting to play the game, but it does look quite fun, although it isn't warhammer. But then if I want to play warhammer I still can with the old rules so I am not fussed.... so I won't be burning my minis just yet.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 15th, 2015, 2:47 pm

All gripes and grievances aside, if you think of Age of Sigmar as Warhammer 15,000, you should be OK.
These Stormcast Eternals are nothing else than proto-Space Marines, so to speak. Also, Cynthia, they are more or less artificial (Sigmar's 'angels' as opposed to Khorne's demons) so that might explain the imagery and the lack of realism when it comes to a human waving a huge-ass warhammer AND a towershield, which, indeed is ridiculous.

That means, GW doesn't do Fantasy anymore, at least not the Sword & Sorcery/High Fantasy stuff they used to.
That has one simple reason: People didn't buy it anymore. It was around 10 percent of their cake, with far lower sales than 40k or even LOTR.
Oh, and the old stuff is of course still available on their website under Age of Sigmar, just tagged new and sorted into new factions.

This is by freakin' far the most positive post about GW I have ever made.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » July 16th, 2015, 3:02 am

Yes, the minis are all there (under ridiculous new names - there are no orcs anymore, but "orrucs"). It's the rules and the game itself that is discontinued.

Of course fans will continue playing Warhammer for years.
But it seems to be the "official" end of Warhammer by GW, and this is at least a moment worth some nostalgia/schadenfreude/thoughts, and for comments on the new product, from those who actually buyed it.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » July 16th, 2015, 3:42 am

Mein Gott! I thought you were joking with the new names!
How to loose money and alienate fans!

:orc: Oy! Thanks for comin' today! It's da end of da World so da gitz in da marketing department thought it wuz time for a rebranding.
:goblin: Yees! Orcs'n'Goblins is just way too generic and old school. It's not what da kidz today want.
:orc: So wutz da plan then?
:goblin: Us goblins will start calling usselves "grots".
:orc: Dats a good name!
:goblin: Yees! We feel it will last at least 40.000 years.
:orc: So how about us orcs? Will we change into "orks"?
:goblin: Noo! We got sumfing much better lined up for you: ORRUKS!
:orc: Orruks?
:goblin: Orruks!
:orc: *cries internally*
:goblin: Also note that "dwarf" and "lizardman" is now considered politically incorrect, so say "duardin" and "seraphon" from now on.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 16th, 2015, 5:46 am

That's good news isn't it?
Finally the sales were down so far that GW allowed their designers actual freedom to do something new.

Haha instead of thinking why the sales had been down. :D

Sometimes I think they are less professional than Gamezones.

How do you actually set up armies if you have no point cost? You just put any amount of any type of minis on the table and start? One comes with a unit of crossbow men and the other with an entire army?

Then you'd need a dungeon master with the task of generating fun for the group or it will fail. Back to the roots. Fantasy Battle is an RPG now.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games Room