• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Reaper Bones III

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Re: Reaper Bones III

Postby Schmidt » July 22nd, 2015, 6:29 am

knightkrawler wrote:
IvenBach wrote:As it stands right now there's only a few that caught my eye. With it being 3 days left I'm sort of wondering why they had a short timeslot for this one. I'll check it out Friday to see what everything entails.

This Bones Kickstarter shenanigans gets stale pretty fast. They should stop right now, reconsider what they, as a company mean to their customers, and set a new standard. They are losing their *lemony goodness* over their Kickstarters. All charm is gone, all exclusivity, all structure.
They should focus each project on a theme and make it much smaller in scope.

So much wiseness!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Redav » July 22nd, 2015, 5:09 pm

Does anyone know whether the mini's from Bones 1 and II are available through their usual channels yet?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 23rd, 2015, 12:02 am

All of Bones I, yes, but sometimes some of them are sold out. But they keep producing.
Bones II are slowly coming in batches, the second batch is available in their store and in retail now.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Reaper Bones opinions?

Postby Jasper Akhkharu » July 23rd, 2015, 12:27 pm

In case people havent noticed, Reaper is doing their 3rd Bones Kickstarter right now - it ends in like 2 days, so be quick if you want to jump on board. I'm on the edge right now - its a hugely cheap core set with great add-ons, but my feelings about the plastic/resin material is not so good. I'm concerned that due to their bendable nature, if a figure happens to get damaged, the paint may crack/flake off. I've also had horrible results when filing off parting lines - since the plastic/resin is soft, it doesnt file down clean, but instead produces a fuzzy and frayed result.

Has anyone had similar problems? Suggested solutions? I'm honestly not sure about the paint cracking/flaking thing because I never finished painting the only Bones mini I have (I got very upset with the aforementioned frayed result from the filing and nevver finished the job).

Thanks all!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Jasper Akhkharu

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Reaper Bones opinions?

Postby alyndavies » July 23rd, 2015, 1:28 pm

Personally I don't like Reaper bones minatures, we use several in our Heroquest games, my partner and daughters use them simply because they make female minatures. The girls painted their own figures using cidatel minatures paints and I dont think the paint sits well on their plastic myself.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 23rd, 2015, 1:49 pm

My experience:
-I dont mind the bendyness. They are practically indestructable.
-paint holds well if you wash them first in lukewarm water with a bit of dishwashing soap and a toothbrush.
-dont thin your basecoat. No need for primer spray. Basecoat acrylics hold if you dont thin with water. After that you can paint as usual.
-finish with a good varnish like quickshade. You can use that stuff as a clear sealant too if you dont shake the can.
-I also use matte anti shine spray on varnish from army painter. You can bend the hell out of the models and the paint will hold.
-having said that: bones 1 was a super deal. Lots of variation and a great price. Bones 2 had less variation and not as good a price plus huge import costs. Bones 3 does not appeal to me at all except for a few models. Not backing.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cornixt » July 23rd, 2015, 2:32 pm

I've had zero issues with paint coming off due to the bend nature. Most acrylic paints have a certain amount of bendiness to them and flex with the model. You don't even need to prime the models, but make sure you don't try to use watery paint on the bare plastic or it tends not to work well.

The mould lines can be a real bugger to remove. The material flexes a lot, making files less useful, a sharp knife often works better. I can still file most areas down flat though, not having the persistent fuzziness you mention. Also, the mould lines are frequently in hard to reach places, but sometimes they barely have a mould line at all.

Since some models are such awful sculpts, I don't even bother trying to remove most of the mould lines at all for them, file off anything too obvious on the top then just dump on a main colour and a few accent colours and it looks good enough for the table. I take much more care on the good models though.

It's really good as a robust material, the models will never break even with rough play from kids.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 23rd, 2015, 3:05 pm

I'll quote myself from that other thread that is dealing with the exact same topic:

knightkrawler wrote:This Bones Kickstarter shenanigans gets stale pretty fast. They should stop right now, reconsider what they, as a company mean to their customers, and set a new standard. They are losing their *lemony goodness* over their Kickstarters. All charm is gone, all exclusivity, all structure.
They should focus each project on a theme and make it much smaller in scope.

By the way, I don't wanna be the nitpicky prick, but these are the cases where a moderator could do something like merge topics instead of waving a finger over the usage of a word.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » July 23rd, 2015, 3:17 pm

knightkrawler wrote:By the way, I don't wanna be the nitpicky prick, but these are the cases where a moderator could do something like merge topics instead of waving a finger over the usage of a word.

I'll merge the topics. I had forgotten there was another one. You could also have simply provided a link and asked for a merge instead of the comment you made. ;) I shall also move it to the "other games room" with the other KS topics.

And about the finger waving: I personally wondered about the usage of the word "rapist" in that topic, but thought it must have been something I didn't understand, not being native English, and as no other moderator (or drathe) had commented on it at all, I ignored it. So I wasn't the one complaining. The thread was reported by a member who took offense, and so I kindly asked to do something about it, as a moderator should in my humble opinion.

Bad day KK? ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 23rd, 2015, 4:54 pm

Just so everybody knows, I answered this question to Sjeng in a PM.
I have not had a bad day.
On with the topic at hand.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games Room