• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

assassinorum execution force board game

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Re: assassinorum execution force board game

Postby Patroclus » May 11th, 2015, 5:00 pm

It’s true that there is only one mission and one boss, and that there is no character advancement. But it is not a simple skirmish game, it’s more than that.

It is possible to play so sneaky that you don’t have to kill anyone before the boss. Just by watching the patrols, the danger zones are changing and you can move slowly or faster and take some risks. In the video for example I take a risk trying to move behind a chaos marine and he discover my assassins. I could spend one or two rounds just to be sure he walks away. Or I could move the tank closer to him just to choose him as target and cover the others.

The rooms at the eastern side have more possibilities to have the teleporter to the final room, so you have to go there, but you don’t have to rush.

On the other hand the characters have different roles and you have to use their skills.

Also, it is the best game for solo. To be honest I believe that if you try to play it with more players it will be very difficult to keep the control of the group. It is made for solo.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Andy P » May 12th, 2015, 3:07 am

You could get, say, Imperial Assault for a similar price; and you get thirty-odd missions in the book, dozens of unique models, a head-to-head skirmish game, beautiful board tiles that can be set up in thousands of different ways, unlimited availability, expansion sets...

...or you could rush to get Execution Force (while stocks last) to play one mission. But it's got four new 40K models in it so that's OK!

This is just offensively lazy from GW. I guarantee to you, no-one will still be playing Execution Force six months from now. With only one mission, I'll be amazed if anyone's still playing it a week after they bought it. Open your eyes to the wider world of board games and you'll very quickly see just how poor this offering is.
Andy P

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » May 12th, 2015, 6:38 pm

I don’t have played imperial assault but it looks too complicated. Looks like a strategy game. Execution Force is more like an action game. You can learn the rules in a minute and then very interesting things could happen by just moving the patrols...

For example, I succeed to move very silently in a game avoiding almost all patrols, but I couldn’t find the teleporter. Then I realize that I have to return back to the entry just to reveal the starting rooms. This was a pain but with a lot of suspense.

Don’t forget that the good games are those with simple rules, like HQ. The only one mission could be a problem, I can’t tell right now. But for someone who like this new game system he could easily create his own maps by just placing some arrows for the patrols and put some entries for 1 to 6. It’s not a big deal.

The most important thing is the gameplay, and it is excellent.

The only thing that I am not sure is if it’s good for 4 players. Of course if you have 4 players the HQ is the best game to spend your evening. This can’t be changed easily. But even for 2 or 3 players I am not sure if Execution Force is the best option.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby cornixt » May 13th, 2015, 9:42 am

The rules might be great, but they missed a massive opportunity here. The boards could have been easily reconfigurable for a start, and that would have only been a tiny art tweak.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » May 13th, 2015, 12:53 pm

It sounds a lot like the simple small set mission encounter sets that they released in the back of the old 4th edition (Maybe 3rd edition) rule book around 10 years back.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » May 13th, 2015, 3:03 pm

I loved that a lot - they should have just updated the point cost for the items, it would have been a wonderful starter game for anybody.

But that's GW.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 13th, 2015, 4:03 pm

The new assassin minis are incredible nice looking - But I still opted out of buying this... :|

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » May 19th, 2015, 4:42 am

I always object when people compare cheap vinyl boardgame minis like in Descent or Imperial Assault, with high-spec minis like GW and Avatars of War produce.

Differnet product, different price. Like it or not, GW are competitively priced in their field, with companies producing similar scale & quality being broadly similar in price, differences typically being caused by exchange rates & international shipping.

Price-wise, the AEF box is approx 20% off GW's standard retail prices of the models it contains, plus you get the cards, boards, dice, etc, on top.

Whether it is worthwhile using these kinds of minis to play a boardgame is another question, and perhaps a valid one.

I see this as an excuse within GW to get the assassin minis out, since everything else is existing minis. Now the moulds are in production, once the box sells out, they'll have every excuse to release them in indevidual clamshell.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Andy P » May 19th, 2015, 6:25 am

slev wrote:Like it or not, GW are competitively priced in their field, with companies producing similar scale & quality being broadly similar in price, differences typically being caused by exchange rates & international shipping.

Hahaha, yeah, good one.

Have you ever heard of a company called Perry Miniatures? They're based in the same city as GW - so no excuses about exchange rates - and used to work for GW (defining their aesthetic for a good couple of decades), so no debate about quality. In addition, they have to pay Renedra to produce their figures, while GW can do it in-house, not to mention advantages of scale.

They're able to produce 40+ plastic models in a box for the price GW charges for a box of 5 or at most 10 nowadays. That's "competitively priced".

GW are literally the most expensive company in the industry and you're only fooling yourself if you think their prices are "broadly similar" to pretty much anyone else... perhaps save PP, though you need far fewer models for Warmahordes than you do for Warhammer, so it's still vastly cheaper overall.

Find me a single wargames manufacturer whose games are more expensive to buy armies for than GW. Just one. Then tell me again how competitive and similar their prices are. It's factually untrue.

Price-wise, the AEF box is approx 20% off GW's standard retail prices of the models it contains

Which is fine, if you're prepared to accept that £18 for a single plastic 28mm model is a good price. If not, the amazing price savings start to look less amazing.
Andy P

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » May 19th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Andy P wrote:Have you ever heard of a company called Perry Miniatures? They're based in the same city as GW - so no excuses about exchange rates - and used to work for GW (defining their aesthetic for a good couple of decades), so no debate about quality. In addition, they have to pay Renedra to produce their figures, while GW can do it in-house, not to mention advantages of scale.
They're able to produce 40+ plastic models in a box for the price GW charges for a box of 5 or at most 10 nowadays. That's "competitively priced".

GW are literally the most expensive company in the industry and you're only fooling yourself if you think their prices are "broadly similar" to pretty much anyone else... perhaps save PP, though you need far fewer models for Warmahordes than you do for Warhammer, so it's still vastly cheaper overall.

I'm familiar with Perry, and likewise Warlord. Look at teh sculpts and they are not as crisp, as detailed or as modular as GW's similar offerings.

Andy P wrote:Find me a single wargames manufacturer whose games are more expensive to buy armies for than GW. Just one. Then tell me again how competitive and similar their prices are. It's factually untrue.

I'm talking about minis manufacturers, regardless of what they are using them for. The old metal Leitenants for Descent worked out MORE expensive than GW. Avatars of War cost about the same, as do warmahordes. iKore also did back in the day before they went under.

Needing fewer minis for warmahordes (or whatever) is not an argument for them being cheaper a product, it's an argument for a skirmish system needing fewer minis being cheaper to get into than a mass-battle system.

Andy P wrote:
Price-wise, the AEF box is approx 20% off GW's standard retail prices of the models it contains

Which is fine, if you're prepared to accept that £18 for a single plastic 28mm model is a good price. If not, the amazing price savings start to look less amazing.

That depends on how overpriced you think the minis are.

Mantic are possibly the closest second tier producer to GW, and based in the same place with lots of ex-GW staff. They come in at 20%-25% less than GW as a result, and are herelded as great value.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games Room