• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

dwarf kings hold kickstart

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Re: dwarf kings hold kickstart

Postby Schmidt » August 21st, 2014, 1:25 am

I like the idea of minor and major spells. That might be house ruled for HQ: healing spells and genie can only be used once per quest, destructive/defensive spells can be reused after 2 or 3 turns and the rest can be used again after 1 or 2 turns.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Patroclus » August 21st, 2014, 1:50 am

Ragnar IronFist wrote:I just discovered the existence of this. I must confess, it looks awesome and I'm highly tempted.

Anybody check out the rules yet?
I guess these are the beta rules
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/mant ... aga_03.pdf

I'm curious what some of the hardcore dudes here would have to say about the rules/mechanics...

I don’t like the fixed movement, though it is a lot faster than rolling dices I don’t like the idea to know exactly how far I can go.

Players can Move & Hit and can’t Hit & Move. This will turn the game to “go adjacent and roll dices until the enemy is killed”. The monsters can’t lure you to a trap or step back so you won’t reach them on your round. This is bad.

The limited number of monsters that can be played from GM each turn. A GM who is counting his monsters while moving them could be a pain.

The front arc rule. Why did they do that? I suppose they like the idea to “stand your ground and roll dices until someone dies”. The death zones of advanced HQ are deactivated when one hero steps on them, so another hero can progress its movement further. The front arc rule blocks all the heroes from movement. Imagine a room with 4 Goblins and a Wizard in the far wall. You have to kill all the goblins to reach the wizard…

I like the idea of modifiers though I want more details to choose if this works for me.

I am tired to see games that supposed to be dungeon crawlers but they are not. They are skirmish games, without any exploration, for example to find the exit or the hidden artifact or etc etc. They are just arenas like mini-war games and you are trying to survive and kill the opponent. Take a look at those missions. Missions(I can’t say quests) with 2 or 3 rooms?… It’s sad…

ps: HQ rules, by the way…

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ragnar IronFist » August 21st, 2014, 9:31 am

Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ragnar IronFist » August 21st, 2014, 10:57 am

But seriously...thanks Patrocius, for the input. I've been curious what the HeroQuest folks think about the actual mechanics of Dwarf King's Quest. So far it seems the opinion is less than stellar!
Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TheTerraintutor » August 21st, 2014, 11:04 am

I've playtested the alpha rules and to be honest, I found them boring. Movement and exploration was non-existent, the combat system lacked the tension you normally get with dicing off for combat. Heroquest it ain't!
Helping you build better battlefields, no matter what game you play .... http://www.youtube.com/theterraintutor
TheTerraintutor

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby mitchiemasha » August 21st, 2014, 1:38 pm

Patroclus wrote:I don’t like the fixed movement,

I'm with you. Even fixed rules modding HQ... I'm like NOOOO! Don't like it in AHQ either.

The uncertainty of what you might roll, trying to help a friend or run away can spice the game up. People think rolling to move is unrealistic. I'd say it is realistic. If you were storming forward you might slip. 12 is the maximum you could possibly run forward. Rolling the dice represents how well your footing is. If you rolled 3, obviously you tripped! unless of course you only wanted to move 3 so you moved slowly.

The house rules i'm working on, include a roll double bonus or not so bonus!!! Like double 5 Gives you move - attack - move. still max of ten movement! Double always seem exciting when you roll them but nothing exciting happens in the game, this changes it!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ragnar IronFist » August 21st, 2014, 2:28 pm

So would there be a way-warmer reception about this game if players rolled for movement? Just wondering. I don't work for mantic, I promise. Just feeling so alone in my excitement lol :( :oops:

Edit: Also realizing we haven't been shown the 'advanced' rules yet. They just may have movement rolls as far as we know. Now I'm really hoping, because you all make very good points! Lol
Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 21st, 2014, 4:51 pm

I was thinking it was only me who liked roll for movement. With most serious gamers liking a fix stat. Especially how many mods of HQ are fixed and many games that came out after are fixed.

Looks like some nice work has gone into this set though! Shame i'm a retro unplugged guy!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » August 21st, 2014, 7:48 pm

Ragnar IronFist wrote:So would there be a way-warmer reception about this game if players rolled for movement? Just wondering. I don't work for mantic, I promise. Just feeling so alone in my excitement lol :( :oops:

Edit: Also realizing we haven't been shown the 'advanced' rules yet. They just may have movement rolls as far as we know. Now I'm really hoping, because you all make very good points! Lol

Movement and “front arc” rule. If you remove those two the game won’t be so combat tactics oriented.

Another thing that is weird is the regeneration of the enemies each turn. If you can’t kill them in players turn, they get all their hit points back. So, for the tough monsters of this game you will need many lucky rolls in the same round!

But the most promising thing is the modifiers. If their combat system is well made, then this is enough to make it a good game. You have full power when your HP is full and you get penalty on attack rolls when there are more monsters around you. With a balanced amount of healing potions, a lot of interesting things could happen…

Make your house rules! Even the Heroquest on its first (European) edition all the enemies have 1 Body point…

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 4th, 2014, 1:19 am

The front arc doesn't bother me. My problem is the need to align dice for comparison every roll. This feels tedious to me. Perhaps after many plays you can simply glance and compare, but I'm not too sure everybody has the same learning curve and mistakes may be made unless those dice are lined up.

The game does have some good elements, though. The flexibility of sides and AI sounds promising. One thing that will remain a limit is its skirmish backbone, so it won't likely make much of a dungeon crawler. This is my issue with the new Descent, as well. Perhaps if I actually played such a game, I'd change my attitude. As it is, my Mordheim experience has left me wary of the time drag of both sides always struggling for the upper hand.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games Room