• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What games have YOU used Dwarven Forge with??

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

What games have YOU used Dwarven Forge with??

Postby Ragnar IronFist » Monday March 24th, 2014 8:40pm

So I gather Dwarven Forge can be a cool compliment to HeroQuest. It also seems it's used for D&D RPG alot. I'm wondering what other games people have played with their dungeon/cavern/sci-fi/etc terrain stuff?
I'm thinking it might be cool with the Drizzt/Ashardalon stuff... what have y'all done with it?
Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What games have YOU used Dwarven Forge with??

Postby Sjeng » Monday April 21st, 2014 6:50am

Don't have any 3D dungeons yet. Getting the Itar's Workshop set though, plastic cast from Hirst models. gonna use for HQ.

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Teldurn » Monday April 21st, 2014 10:16am

I have played a session of Pathfinder with it. And I seem to recall an old buddy of mine from way back when HeroQuest was still new, he had me play in his game, and he had modded some cool 3d stuff, but I don't know if it was Dwarven Forge... I'm not even sure if DF was around back then.

And of course, I've lost all touch with the guy in the past two decades, so I couldn't even try contacting him to find out.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » Monday April 21st, 2014 7:15pm

I have used some dwarven forge accessories, but I find that the actual dungeon pieces themselves are prohibitively expensive. Hirst Arts products are vastly superior.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday April 29th, 2014 2:03am

Teldurn wrote:I have played a session of Pathfinder with it. And I seem to recall an old buddy of mine from way back when HeroQuest was still new, he had me play in his game, and he had modded some cool 3d stuff, but I don't know if it was Dwarven Forge... I'm not even sure if DF was around back then.

And of course, I've lost all touch with the guy in the past two decades, so I couldn't even try contacting him to find out.

According to the Dwarven Forge site, product was first realeased in 1996. Sounds like your friend was using something else.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » Tuesday April 29th, 2014 4:50am

Teldurn wrote:I have played a session of Pathfinder with it. And I seem to recall an old buddy of mine from way back when HeroQuest was still new, he had me play in his game, and he had modded some cool 3d stuff, but I don't know if it was Dwarven Forge... I'm not even sure if DF was around back then.

There were a lot of products back then, but most were small production runs from companies that eventually went out of business.

The best dungeon-decor for use with Heroquest will undoubtedly be those produced by my friend Mich for his company, Eastern Front Miniatures. They've been prototyped, and should see production soon. The walls are what I think we could get along with best in HQ.

Examples:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby wolfie907 » Tuesday April 29th, 2014 5:13am

how soon and how expensive cp?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » Tuesday June 10th, 2014 3:52pm

It's never too late to find him. :D

Dwarven Forge was a very nice detailed and hand painted tool to design dungeon quickly.
However, the targets are definitively not the teenagers who are playing boardgames since to make something playable you need several sets so we're already talking about several thousand dollars.
Foreign customers like me are forced to deal with something cheaper like psominiatures in France delivering in whole europe or other brands.

More, after so many years, it's true that 3D elements are great in the line of sight of every player around the table but when you add walls by using DF you see nothing more than the top of the rooms & passages. I can say DF is something more into scenery than playable.
It takes place, it's fragile and you cannot deal with the discovery of the dungeon as you wish because you have to build everything quickly when a heroe opens a door for instance ... so it means you have everything close to you ... you don't have interest in making huge dungeons then or you will have a huge problem ...

Well a modular board (only tiles with squares) casted in 3D for instance is far better than something using walls. Yeah I just wrote this after 27 years of dungeon crawl games !
I know you all have seen videos, photos etc but keep in mind you cannot go to see your friend with everything.
The new game tiles are too much "linear" to me and even if you can put it all in a bag, the remaining problem is that walls of 5cm are blocking views around the table and at one time -then several times- in the game, you will have to stand up to see what's in this room, what's behind this wall etc.

So what are the games I use with it :
- mansion of madness (and i hide with something the rooms)
- super dungeon explore because everything is revealed
- super fantasy (same thing)
- la hache et le feu (french dungeon crawl boardgame review here : http://www.lessouterrainsoublies.fr/LaHacheetleFeu.html)
- gears of war (sci fi sets)
- resident evil / silent hill and dead space (fanmade boardgames rules)
- doom

As u can see, the list is not too long even if I own around 50 dungeon crawls + their expansion and all dwarven forge sets.
There are things disturbing like the hal square at the base of the walls (very complicated to deal with line sight) and there is also a problem I didn't abord yet : the size of the minis sometimes cannot enter DF pieces (narrow passage set, a dreadnought of space crusade in a double corridor cannot enter, the fimir/gargoyle minis in a narrow passage set etc etc)

So if you plan to buy Df products, be sure it will suit to your favourite boardgame and try to figure it out how to deal with it then to avoid bad surprises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6DrmldDM8

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Other Games Room