• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mordheim Board

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Mordheim Board

Postby chaoticprime » December 13th, 2013, 2:05 am

I just got the commission to build a modular game-board for Mordheim. The design will have nine, 12"x12", inter-locking boards. The boards are not ruled.

Board ideas?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Mordheim Board

Postby Big Bene » December 13th, 2013, 4:50 am

I had plans for a very similar project, just postponed it because there were more pressing issues. Here are some ideas for my version, feel free to use or not use whatever you see fitting for yours.
  • The board is made up of quadrat tiles of 15.2cm lenght/width.
    Why 15.2 cm? It equals 6'' with a difference of around 1 permille (and 6'' is a common measure in Mordheim/WH rules). It also equals 19 Lego base bricks - wanted to keep it compatible to Lego for future developement.
  • Each side has a recessed and a protruded section, so that every square will fit besides every other square without sliding around.
  • There are bigger units for bigger scenery pieces, which are made up of a number of said basic squares, so they fit inbetween them.
  • The squares are made of 5cm styrofoam, so recessed scenery (pits, graves, bodies of water) can be build in a "realistic" way.
  • There are special squares containing height trasistions, so you can build different height levels (perhaps you know the Neverwindter Nights computer game with it's great map editor - see picture - somthing like this). The height difference would be 5cm, so you can build the elevated area by just putting a layer (or even more layers) of "blank" squares under the standard tiles.
  • I had the idea (don't know if it's worth the efford) of putting electric wiring into the body of the squares, so that, when you connect an outer square to a battery, every connected square has power supply for lights etc.
That's what comes to my mind for now - has been a while since I thought about this project.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 13th, 2013, 5:56 am

are you supposed to do buildings etc. too?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » December 13th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Big Bene - Smart. I had less well-made plans as those.

GK - Yes. He will cover their cost.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 13th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Mordheim is the city of madness and horror!

One board should definitely have a huge crater. After all the background fluff is that a meteor hit.
You could hollow out the board AND build a raised area around the crater to make it seem extra deep.
Maybe add small pieces of glowing warpstone.

A burned down building (or five) is pretty much a must.

A street corner where a quick emergency sacrifice/demon summoning took place

A row of hanged people

Canals/sewers

A butcher's shop with a sign in the window (Our meat is almost 100% human free)

A bunch of zombies chained to a pole - i dunno

A pile of burning bodies

A well with a lot of skeletons/bodies around

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » December 14th, 2013, 5:21 pm

Goblin-King wrote:One board should definitely have a huge crater. After all the background fluff is that a meteor hit.
You could hollow out the board AND build a raised area around the crater to make it seem extra deep.
Maybe add small pieces of glowing warpstone.
Well, I think the Mordheim crater would be too wide to fit on a gameboard. You could make the rim of the crater as a special scenario, but it would probably require lots of house rules to cover the effects of the chaos radiation. In the Mordheim rulebook is a description of the rim, with the remains of the decadent inhabitants catched in their orgies by the vulcanic glass "like insects in amber". Would be an immense project, but also immensely rewarding, I think, If one has the time.

Goblin-King wrote:A burned down building (or five) is pretty much a must.
I second that. Well, the mordheim buildings I've seen so far (not that they are very much) mostly are burnt-down ruins.
Goblin-King wrote:A street corner where a quick emergency sacrifice/demon summoning took place
Nice :gargoyle:
chaoticprime wrote:A row of hanged people
Even nicer...
Well, there are no official authorities in Mordheim, so hanging should be less common, but for the shere athmospheric value, definitely do it.
Goblin-King wrote:Canals/sewers
You mean an underground level? Would be great, but probably impossible to make on an actual gameboard.
Goblin-King wrote:A butcher's shop with a sign in the window (Our meat is almost 100% human free)
Yesyesyes I want one! Will definitely do this some time!
Goblin-King wrote:A pile of burning bodies
I made a mold of the pile of bodies from the death chart of the vampire army. Piles of bodies are a great addtion for every battlefield, but the original idea was to make a cast of red transparent resin, brush it matte black and put a flickering LED under it... :skeleton:
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 14th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Well, as for the crater, I imagined that a fragment from the meteor made a smaller crater. I don't think a huge meteor like that would just come in one single piece.

For the canals/sewer I imagined like... a controlled stream of sewage running through the city in a... man-made brick canal. I don't know if that makes sense :S

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » December 14th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Well, as for the crater, I imagined that a fragment from the meteor made a smaller crater. I don't think a huge meteor like that would just come in one single piece.

For the canals/sewer I imagined like... a controlled stream of sewage running through the city in a... man-made brick canal. I don't know if that makes sense :S

Naturally occurring brick facades are indeed rare.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » December 14th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Pick a finger :lol:

Is there a word for what I'm describing? Like a gutter, just bigger. And with more *lemony goodness* and piss.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » December 14th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Cloaca? Or just a "drain"?
Even antique cloacas were mostly underground. I really doubt that there was such a thing as an open excrements draining inside a city in real history. Just too, well, stinky, even by medieval standards.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Other Games Room