cornixt wrote:Anderas wrote:Oh there are indeed some models interesting for me. But what would I want with a mix of western, fantasy and sci-fi minis?
I was going through my Bones II models at the weekend (so many painted now!) and wondering whether I would even bother with the western models. I have no idea what I would use them for right now. They put really odd sets in the core collection - does anyone really need four sets of four identical lizardmen?
I believe Reaper is targeting the D&D niche, as lizardmen are usually present in large numbers. I'm pretty sure D&D fans provide a large chunk of their revenue and have probably voiced a desire to see them in a Bones kickstarter on the Reaper forums.
knightkrawler wrote:Yes. HeroQuest players with Lizardman quests. They think they cater to us with those.
The cowboys: Wild West Exodus.
Their flimsy little Space Marines: Infinity.
The list goes on.
They think they can cater to all of us, but the end result lacks quality and passion.
Again, that's what I'm talking about. If they'd concentrate on a different, more specific purpose with each crowdfunding campaign they would be more successfull in the longterm and we would be way - waaay - more satisfied.
But nooo... they have to grab the fast money out of everyone's asses at the same time.
I'd prefer the way you lay things out too, but the desires of business--follow the money--trump the desires of individuals. Their long-term goal is to develop the Bones line for future revenue. Their short-term tactic is to raise the funds for the molds through multiple kickstarters. Until the kickstarters in this generalist form fail, I doubt that Reaper will end the practice that is so profitably growing their business. I'm not yet willing to decry the practice, as the long-term goal of producing cheap figures is succeeding. There are several I like, and will probably buy some from their store (when available) at what I consider a good price.
cornixt wrote:knightkrawler wrote:Yes. HeroQuest players with Lizardman quests. They think they cater to us with those.
...I like getting a variety, but four different models would have done. Instead they add on an extra 12 models that do nothing more than bump the model count for the vast majority. People who want more can order them as an add-on anyway....
The core set should be all fantasy (the bulk of the models they are doing) and all other themes should be add-ons. It's like how the cable company gives me one good channel, a couple of meh channels and 6 awful channels in each package. People will pay it for the good channel but almost no one ever watches the others.
You nailed their strategy that has been repeating: Produce a core Bones set with a bunch of figures that is swollen by a monster or two with several duplicated types. This works to Reaper's advantage in two ways: first, they net in a large segment of D&D players who want a deal on those particular monsters in bulk, and second, they bump the total number count of the core set cheaply with fewer molds, thus making the average cost per figure cheaper. Perhaps Reaper thinks average mini cost influences Bones buyers' decision process. As evidenced on the Reaper forums, some backers will trade, while others will sell off unwanted figures on Ebay.
I'm not likely to sell off my earlier bones figures and I passed on Bones III for the same reasons as many others have. I'd love to see their kickstarter model evolve into still more efficient buying groups, and that means further splintering of package offers. If I or anyone else here were serious enough to care, the thing to do would be to voice these concerns in their forum. Of course, this being the Internet, that ain't gonna happen.
