• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A new Warhammer Quest - Silver Tower

Topics relating to WarhammerQuest.

Re: A new Warhammer Quest - Silver Tower

Postby Patroclus » June 13th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Nice review.

I’ve play some quests now and I’ve to say that it’s a very good game. The endless combat and unexpected events reminds me WHQ, and the endless trials with the low death rate for heroes and the simplicity of rules reminds me HQ.

When I say “trials”, I mean the special rooms of HQ where we put special rules that affect the specific room. For example, a room with spider webs that if you roll 1 you lose your turn. WHQST is full with that kind of rooms.

In HQ we all create two types of special rooms. Rooms with “trials”, and rooms with “puzzles”. And when I say puzzles, I mean triggers that can affect something to somewhere you don’t know. For example, a lever that does something that you have to discover. Puzzles are impossible without a GM. Of course this can be fixed if one of the players acts like a real GM. it’s not science. You don’t need rules to do that.

Also, you don’t need rules to make more monsters, or your own unexpected events (the game comes with 36 unexpected events from the adventure book. They are enough but you can add more).

Another good thing is that you can use any tiles you want from other games (from AHQ or WHQ) without changing anything from the rules. Of course you have to make your own “cards” (or maybe matrixes).

Finally it’s a very good game, not better than HQ or WHQ, but if one day you don’t have a full group for HQ, two or three players are enough for WHQST.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby whitebeard » June 16th, 2016, 11:09 pm

ampersand wrote:some might not enjoy having to put the minis together..this took me about 12 hours to do...but me being me. it involved me greenstuffing and gaps and filing to perfection. i enjoyed doing it..but understand some might not.

Okay, we got the game on Saturday and I just assembled the second to last mini. I think it took me 12 hours and I didn't use any green stuff yet. :oops: Most of the models will not need any. :mrgreen: The last one was broken in the box (and is still on the sprue with a broken weapon - Tsangor with two ax thingies) and I will be taking it back, hopefully the fellow there will swap it out.

We played last Sunday after I had assembled a good selection of each type of monster. Had some trouble with some of the rules, but I think we have it down now.

ampersand wrote:the setting -. ok this is a tough one. ive out it in as a downer because i feel that it is too scripted. this game is and only ever will be set in the silver tower. so you will never feel like a roving band of adventurers.

True. The setting is "lost in the ever changing tower" which effectively exists in own dimension. I would recommend an expansion with all forest tiles. The exact same game mechanics would apply without AoS theme. "the forest closes in around you and you cannot possibly find the way back from which you came..." or simply that the same path looks different from the opposite direction and you constantly take wrong turns. Grab 40k Fenrisian Wolves, make some giant spiders, bring in the undead, orcs, river trolls, etc.

ampersand wrote:they made this thematic to push the tzeentch models forwards. and it works.

I still don't like the AoS theme / Tzeench baddies. They are trying way too hard to be different and it shows. However, the whole thing works because it takes place in the extra dimensional Silver Tower and you expect weird crap like the scuttlings and the Tsangors to be there. I agree and very well said.

I'm a big fan of no "leveling" and the regular loss of skills and treasures between quests. Death in absolute terms is missing, and I think this is kind of lame. But it does not really detract from game play.

I bought the on-line card for the "Warden King" and used the numbers and abilities in Photoshop (Gimp actually) to make a "Dwarf Lord" character card (Dwoorf Loord!) with my avatar instead. I even renamed one of the Traits "Heroic Brew" |_P It printed a bit darker than I wanted, but it looks fantastic. I would post it, but the stats and text are all verbatim from the WHQST app, so I can't.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » June 18th, 2016, 5:44 am

whitebeard wrote:Okay, we got the game on Saturday and I just assembled the second to last mini. I think it took me 12 hours and I didn't use any green stuff yet. Most of the models will not need any. The last one was broken in the box (and is still on the sprue with a broken weapon - Tsangor with two ax thingies) and I will be taking it back, hopefully the fellow there will swap it out.

We played last Sunday after I had assembled a good selection of each type of monster. Had some trouble with some of the rules, but I think we have it down now.

thats a bummer on the models. ive found the kairic dudes with the spears to be a little fragile. so had to pin the hand holding the weapon.
im sure they will swap it out. ive never heard anything bad about GW and their customer support.

ill agree some of the rulings are a little bit light weight. but i think the whole intention is for you as agroup to decide what works best to keep the game flowing. i cant help but feel with one or two of them (not wanting to give away spoliers) just could of been a little more solid on the ground with the explanation.

whitebeard wrote:True. The setting is "lost in the ever changing tower" which effectively exists in own dimension. I would recommend an expansion with all forest tiles. The exact same game mechanics would apply without AoS theme. "the forest closes in around you and you cannot possibly find the way back from which you came..." or simply that the same path looks different from the opposite direction and you constantly take wrong turns. Grab 40k Fenrisian Wolves, make some giant spiders, bring in the undead, orcs, river trolls, etc.

Ive had a few ideas from this that would enable a longer term plan to the game and could take you away from the silver tower. only problem is the fact everything is so thematic towards the silver tower and the whole tzeentch theme.
swap cards for generic cards
replace dungeon with generic dungeon tiles
change the destiny dice implications for something a little more generic.
new unexpected events tables to be made more generic.

and then this game would essentially be standalone game that you could add anything to.
however i cant see GW doing that as it would essentially draft away from the marketing model of the game. that said. It doesnt mean it couldnt be done by others does it? after all player growth with games are what keep them being liked 20 years later.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » June 18th, 2016, 8:12 am

ampersand wrote:im sure they will swap it out. ive never heard anything bad about GW and their customer support.

On the contrary. Much can be said about GW, but their customer support is excellent.
Guy in my lfgs ordered a whole army. One box had a heavy mold line for some reason. They sent the entire army to him one more time! For one box! :o

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 4th, 2017, 7:06 pm

@ ampersand
I seem to remember you mentioning a bad end for your group with this game in your blog. Was it that you all died horribly or the like? I'd be surprised if instead the game had failed you down the line after such a strong first impression.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to WarhammerQuest Room