• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A new Warhammer Quest - Silver Tower

Topics relating to WarhammerQuest.

Re: A new Warhammer Quest - Silver Tower

Postby QorDaq » May 24th, 2016, 3:33 am

cleps wrote:this new game, for now, isen't connect with old WHQ.

Do you already have a copy? I ask because there were rumors that the new game would have conversions (of some sort; Monsters, Characters?) for the previous game, which is where my question was coming from.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Patroclus » May 24th, 2016, 12:46 pm

QorDaq wrote:

Do you already have a copy? I ask because there were rumors that the new game would have conversions (of some sort; Monsters, Characters?) for the previous game, which is where my question was coming from.

maj!

No, it does not contain any conversion. But we all hope for a "roleplaying" book with stats for other monsters, treasure tables, rules for stores, towns etc. For now, it's just rumors.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » May 24th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Much obliged for the response Patroclus.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » May 24th, 2016, 5:52 pm

No problem. I don’t have it in my hands right now but you can find in youtube some reviews and playthroughs. From what I’ve seen it could be easy to add any monster you like and play it on any tiles you want. The main idea of the system is the destiny roll.

Each start of a new turn you have to roll 5 dices, and the combinations triggers events as the unexpected event (=more monsters). Actually if we used to it, it can be useful for custom events if you make your own quests.

The second new thing is the difficulty of the encounters. Each hero rolls 4 dice and he can choose to do 4 actions. So, think about the barbarian, he can do 4 hits and some of his hits can be turned to deathblows (more free hits on adjacent monsters). He can clean a room in one turn… Monsters have not many hit points, I think 3 is the common life points per monster. So, a single encounter is not difficult but the monsters are spawning all the time. And that means, you kill fast but you move slow.

For sure it is an “action” game, but you can add monsters with more life points, and premade dungeons with stories and puzzles, exactly as we do in HQ. There is nothing to stop you from doing that. Or you can play a fast solo with the basic rules, and try to add more monster tables and test your own events and quests.

I think it is a good game. It can’t be compared to the HQ we love, but it’s something new, it seems that they will release more expansions and it has simple rules, which is the best of all. It’s move and hit until you win or lose.

And there is a leveling system by gaining skills. As you gain skills you are getting better but also something going harder (about resting and gaining back wounds, I think).
Another good thing is that it has a lot of heroes. About 40 heroes right now, and it’s only the beginning. This means, that there are tons of combinations and interesting skills. How good may be a party of 4 wizards, for example?

One more thing, I remember right now is that the difficulty is changing if you have a small party. It says, for example multiply the number of enemies with the number of heroes. So it’s possible that you are only one hero and win the quest. Then you don’t have to play many heroes if there are not that many players.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 25th, 2016, 1:43 am

Patroclus wrote:
QorDaq wrote:

maj!

No, it does not contain any conversion. But we all hope for a "roleplaying" book with stats for other monsters, treasure tables, rules for stores, towns etc. For now, it's just rumors.

I'd heard that there was an app that gives you the stats for all other models to be used in the game. Most likely current models and not discontinued ones. But, they could include the old models which would be very unlikely for GW.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cleps » May 25th, 2016, 7:11 am

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower-My Hero App - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcvOcFn9U8
(free app)
cleps

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Italiano
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 25th, 2016, 8:36 am

cleps wrote:Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower-My Hero App - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcvOcFn9U8
"free app"

FTFY

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 26th, 2016, 12:27 am

Sounds like the typical GW overload. They are already releasing expansions? It's too early. Players will not even have digested the base game.
To me it looks like fireworks. Lots of crackers after a big bang, and then silence.

OK. I hope it will be a success, encouraging GW to care about their other side games as well!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » June 8th, 2016, 6:18 pm

well ive had this in my possession for a few days now and gotta say we are really enjoying it so far

Patroclus wrote:Each start of a new turn you have to roll 5 dices, and the combinations triggers events as the unexpected event (=more monsters). Actually if we used to it, it can be useful for custom events if you make your own quests.

this destiny dice is basically a better replacement for winds of magic in the original and can throw some pretty sweet and unique things your way. rolling various doubles will cause the gaunt summoners familiars to show up. these have random effects on the heroes until you catch them or they run away. which the result in itself can either leave you cursed or with a nice little 1 off perk. as well as triggering ambushes or unexpected events (of which some are really fun inclusions. any dice that arent doubles. the heroes can spend for extra actions. its a nice mechanic that really drives the quest forwards

Patroclus wrote:The second new thing is the difficulty of the encounters. Each hero rolls 4 dice and he can choose to do 4 actions. So, think about the barbarian, he can do 4 hits and some of his hits can be turned to deathblows (more free hits on adjacent monsters). He can clean a room in one turn… Monsters have not many hit points, I think 3 is the common life points per monster. So, a single encounter is not difficult but the monsters are spawning all the time. And that means, you kill fast but you move slow.

the 4 dice mechanic also works very well. its simple and intuitive. so far we have only played the trial quest twice. and each time has been very different. but the 4 dice keep things fluid and by the time we hit the second attempt we were flying.

Patroclus wrote:For sure it is an “action” game, but you can add monsters with more life points, and premade dungeons with stories and puzzles, exactly as we do in HQ. There is nothing to stop you from doing that. Or you can play a fast solo with the basic rules, and try to add more monster tables and test your own events and quests.

what works well here is the story driven fluff that the trial kicks out. of which i feel adds a little more to the simple move kill mechanic, there is quite a lot of tactic involved in this game. but its so subtly done that it actually can easily go unnoticed. how a hero plays can severely effect what happens if the destiny dice, or the adversaries rolls decide to get nasty (yes my greedy barbarian got us all killed on our second attempt rather brutally) adding more monsters i think could be done with ease. however the silver tower is exactly that. it isnt a generic dungeon. but there is no reason why the gaunt summoner wouldnt wish to throw extras into the fray. i think this could be expanded on yup. but as i say its always going to be the silver tower. it isnt generic enough, i feel. to be able to just create your own quests with ease like you could with the random quests of WHQ. but this isnt warhammer quest. and what it does do better is give a really cool narrative that feels much more immersive.

Patroclus wrote:I think it is a good game. It can’t be compared to the HQ we love, but it’s something new, it seems that they will release more expansions and it has simple rules, which is the best of all. It’s move and hit until you win or lose

seconded. were loving it at the moment. the twists and turns that seem to get kicked up make it so unpredictable. is it a dungeon crawler? yup of course. but its so different to anything else ive played before. i truly feel this stands on its own. i dont like comparing crawlers anyways. as they all give us something different. so they all suit a certain mood. i like this for the co-op play as for once. i aint stuck as the evil barstool that is trying to kill the heroes :lol:

Patroclus wrote:And there is a leveling system by gaining skills. As you gain skills you are getting better but also something going harder (about resting and gaining back wounds, I think).
Another good thing is that it has a lot of heroes. About 40 heroes right now, and it’s only the beginning. This means, that there are tons of combinations and interesting skills. How good may be a party of 4 wizards, for example?

whilst ive only got the 6 base and the nurgle plague lord to use. even that alone is an interesting mix. the heroes arent actually a group that has banded together from a chance meeting in an inn following on a tale of gold and treasures. they are in the silver tower for their own reasons. so you can either play to win more renown than the people around you. stealing kills etc to get stronger. and this can make it a fun competitive way to play. or you can band together as a classic unit like we get in HQ and many others. so the fluff alone give you different reasons/ways to play the game. ive never been sold on the whole age of sigmar setting. but there is no reason why they could bring out a more generic expansion set in the mortal realms that could add more generic random dungeons to really sideswipe the entire silver tower setting and take the game in a totally different direction. the levelling system is purely based on the skills you earn by gaining enough renown. this works much better than i expected. and surprised me. i kinda like it. but need to get further into the silver tower to really get a feel for how that progression pays off.

Patroclus wrote:One more thing, I remember right now is that the difficulty is changing if you have a small party. It says, for example multiply the number of enemies with the number of heroes. So it’s possible that you are only one hero and win the quest. Then you don’t have to play many heroes if there are not that many players.

the chances of getting ambushed get higher the more skills the heroes have. so you need to start being careful. additionally some of the familars will only show up under specific circumstances. so for example 1 of them will only show up if there are at least 2 treasure cards within the heroes possesion. of which he will try to steal treasure from them (think that little imp from the golden axe arcade game)
the game itself seems like it would scale nicely based on the amount of heroes. but again i havent played enough to give much info on how it actually scales.

overall we are really really enjoying it. the rules are easy to pick up. its intuitive and simple to play. is it perfect? nope.
but its definitely a nice new addition that brings something new to our gaming table.

the minis are awesome. i have to admit. even the ones i didnt like at first glance. after putting them together (which is a mission on itself) ive got to say. ive even warmed to the gold plank of wood that GW seem to be plastering on everything.
the downers?

some might not enjoy having to put the minis together..this took me about 12 hours to do...but me being me. it involved me greenstuffing and gaps and filing to perfection. i enjoyed doing it..but understand some might not.

a few of the special rules dont feel very well explained (on cards and such) and are kept very vague in order to leave to interpretation. again some may like this approach. whereas i feel 1 or 2 extra words could of cleared some things up better to help the game move quicker..again though some people like arguing/discussing rules.

flicking through the book for the adversaries stats - these should of been done on cards...i cant help but feel the rule book will end up pretty bruised and battered if you are constantly having to use it. i will most like be making some cards for these maybe same size as the hero cards so they are more accessible.

the setting -. ok this is a tough one. ive out it in as a downer because i feel that it is too scripted. this game is and only ever will be set in the silver tower. so you will never feel like a roving band of adventurers. i think of it more like the 3rd act of a movie where the band has gotten to the bad guys castle and must get to the end and defeat the bad guy. that being said though. i think this could easily be swung with a expansion set in the mortal realms that isnt as thematic as the whole silver tower/Tzeentch that this box set provides. yes the fluff is really cool and i feel what ultimately caps this game off. bit the rules can be swung pretty easily by replacing how the destiny dice act. giving us a more generic dungeon set. and more generic treasure/skills. as well as adding a between quests mechanic. now knowing how GW are (lets face it. FFG are worse than GW for this sort of thing) they made this thematic to push the tzeentch models forwards. and it works. so they could go the same direction with the next expansion (apparently going to be undead) and use it in a strong thematic way. or use it to broaden the game in a more generic approach. that reamains to be seen. but so far.....im onboard whatever they do. cuz we like this game. and can see us getting a lot of game time out of this.

i cant think of anything else right now. but im happy to answer any questions on the rules or anything like that.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » June 8th, 2016, 8:18 pm

ampersand wrote:well ive had this in my possession for a few days now and gotta say we are really enjoying it so far...

Wow, I'm sold. I can't wait to play something and not have to be the EWP!
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to WarhammerQuest Room