• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

WHQ. Is it that great? Some questions

Topics relating to WarhammerQuest.

WHQ. Is it that great? Some questions

Postby Sinned » November 28th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Gang,
your opinion please:
I love HQ and AHQ (for the tiles etc). I have never played WHQ.

Here are my questions: ;)

1) Now, is WHQ really such a great game as a lot of people say? Better than HQ? (to me, the idea of a game without a gamemaster sucks. But then again: I've never played WHQ)
2) It's pretty expensive on eBay etc. Because of the hype? Because it's a collectors item? Because it's such a great game?
3) Does the main WHQ game contain 'enough'? There are some expansion sets and card sets. To me: HQ is in many ways so great because of the expansions. Just having the main HQ game is boring in my humble opinion. Is this also the case with WHQ?
4) Can the WHQ tiles, rooms, halls etc be easily used for HQ? Or doesn't the scale of the tiles, rooms etc match with HQ? (If I don't get the game I'm thinking of printing the tiles etc)

Thanks in advance for your advice/answers!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: WHQ. Is it that great? Some questions

Postby Maike05 » November 28th, 2012, 5:39 pm

1) nothing is better than heroquest you fool!
2) it's not worth what it is. Even tought you get plenty of material, it clearly is overpriced! Any copy of good old fellow heroquest is sold about 50-60$ whereas whq is about 200$! without expansions.
3) the original box is sufficient in my opinion, but any additional copy of the treasure cards expansion would be nice.
4) whq tiles are entirely compatible with heroquest as it is 25mm scale.

Now return playing heroquest before i slaughter you for having asked this foolish question ! :)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby drathe » November 28th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Had my eye on WHQ for a long while. Mainly for the tiles and the extra miniatures. The price is usually way too high on eBay to make the purchase worthwhile for just pillaging parts for HQ.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » November 28th, 2012, 6:15 pm

No, it is not better than HQ. It is a very different system, especially in combat. Many boardgames are trying to add more rules to make the combat better, but they fail for one reason. Combat should be simple. in my opinion, if you want to spend money, buy more minis, create new quests, maybe adding more skills, and keep playing HQ.

But if you and your playing group want to try something else, why don’t you buy a totally different game, like talisman, dungeon quest or maybe legend of drizzt, or descent 2?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sinned » November 29th, 2012, 2:58 am

Maike05 wrote:1) nothing is better than heroquest you fool!

Maike05 wrote:4) whq tiles are entirely compatible with heroquest as it is 25mm scale.

I printed one room as a test yesterday, but the squares are slightly bigger than the HQ squares. (it's from this PDF file: http://the-lost-and-the-damned.664610.n ... _tiles.pdf)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters.
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sinned » November 29th, 2012, 3:22 am

drathe wrote:Had my eye on WHQ for a long while. Mainly for the tiles and the extra miniatures. The price is usually way too high on eBay to make the purchase worthwhile for just pillaging parts for HQ.

Looking at the minis:
the heroes: look cool, Orcs & Goblins don't look as good as the HQ versions, already have the AHQ Skaven.....which leaves us with some 'mini minis' (bats, rats etc) and 3 minotaurs.
Looking at the other parts:
cards, books: useless unless you actually play the game
Rooms, halls: awesome, just like the doorways.

Still: I want.
Another thing is that when I start with something I MUST have it complete (one of my traits that can be really annoying....to myself). And knowing that the expansions also cost a fortune.....

Ironic: back when it was sold I frequently visited the local comic store where they always had it. This was the mid/late 90s when I didn't have any interest at all in games.

Rewards:
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » November 29th, 2012, 3:13 pm

maike - cut back on the coffee, buddy...coming off a little intense there. :roll:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Maike05 » November 29th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Nothing is better than heroquest.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sinned » November 29th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Maike05 wrote:Nothing is better than heroquest.

Regarding boardgames I agree. |_P

Rewards:
Sinned

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maike05 » November 30th, 2012, 6:28 pm

|_P

Rewards:
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to WarhammerQuest Room