• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

SFG's Epic Encounter Boxes for Conversion?

Topics relating to Dungeons & Dragons.

SFG's Epic Encounter Boxes for Conversion?

Postby QorDaq » May 18th, 2023, 5:33 pm

So I've had my eye on Steam Forged Games' Epic Encounter Boxes for a while.

A week or so ago, Miniature Market had them on sale, and I picked up the Hall of the Orc King on a whim. (https://www.miniaturemarket.com/sfee-004.html). That link is to MM's "normal" price, I'd wait for another sale.

The box Arrived today, and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased that I took the chance.

The Orcs are well scaled with the HQ Orcs, excepting that the bases are a bit oversized. The Orogs are very similarly scaled to the Ogres from Mage of the Mirror.

The Bear Cavalry Orcs are really cool. As are some of the other standouts like the Orc Cook, The Shaman, and the Orc King... All nice chunky Orc sculpts.

And, one of the primary reasons I originally started thinking about this, is that the minis are colored quite similarly to the Frozen Horror "Blue".

The whole set is themed around a northern environment, including the double-sided battle map (Magazine page-like paper).

Anyway, the point being, it occurred to me that having some Orcs that were colored similarly to Frozen Horror, might be an opportunity to replace the Orcs in those Quests with something more thematic. Aside from the somewhat larger bases, the biggest downside, is that there really are not many straight up Orc Warriors (there are really only 2 "Typical" warriors). They're all fighters, mind you (except the Shaman I suppose), but there are 3 Archers, and 3 Spear-bearers. Not a bad thing, just not typical, and the "Special" minis like the Cook (2) and the Orc Brewmeister (2), while really great looking sculpts, are a little too specific to simply stand in as standard Orcs in a Northern theme.

That said, a little effort to homebrew for these new "Northern Orcs", could actually make the swap outs even more interesting. There are already stat blocks out there for Archers and Spear bearers, as well as "Black" and "Mountain" Orcs, so that bit is easy... Orc Shaman as well. The Orc King could borrow stats from one of the named Orc Leaders from various Quests. All fairly straightforward.

I also think that the Adventure book that comes with the box could be converted as a stand alone side quest, or perhaps 2-3 Quest micro campaign. There's even a follow up Epic Encounter box that features a final boss battle with a Frost Giant, who is also the same light blue color.

So, thoughts? Has anyone else already contemplated any of this? Would "a "Northern Orc" Tribe make sense in the context of The Frozen Horror?

I'd dig hearing what people think.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Return to Dungeons & Dragons Room