• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Solo Play

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Solo Play

Postby ken » June 26th, 2011, 1:58 am

Whilst I was reading through the AHQ rulebook, to try to help Neonille with his queries, I re-read the section on Solo AHQ. This gives rules to play the game by ones’ self. As those of us who have played AHQ before have said, there is far too much dice rolling to make it enjoyable. So, I have been working on an easier, smoother way to go, using the standard HQ equipment. I used the Hero Stat. Cards, Treasure cards, Equip. cards and Quest Treasure cards. Also the standard Combat dice. The AHQ comes with a 12 sided dice, which works quite well, but I see no reason why one can’t use the two red dice instead. The basic AHQ game is played by rolling up Corridor Features, i.e., length, far end and contents. I have kept this idea, which works quite well. One starts with Stairs Down, two five sq. by two sq. corridor lengths and a T junction far end. Set the way you are going to play your Heroes, and off you go. When your four Heroes have done, you as the DM rolls a dice on a Matrix for your turn. This consists of, 1-2, Trap, 3-10, nothing, 11-12, Wandering Monster.
Make a Matrix for your Heroes, i.e., 1-3, Dwarf, 4-6, Barbarian, 7-9, Wizard, 10-12, Elf. Roll on this Matrix if a Trap or WM comes up, to decide who suffers.
If a trap comes up, 1-6, pit, 7-12, spear. Roll for the unfortunate, 1-6, he sees the trap, 7-12, he is caught. If a WM, place the WM next to him & attack. Simple HUH?
When your H reach the T, decide which way to turn, and roll up the way ahead, Passage Length, Features, Far End. If you find a Door/Doors, play as normal. On opening a door, the are four possibilities, a Normal Room, a Hazard Room, (these can be quite interesting), a Lair, full of Monsters, or a Quest Room, with your objective inside. Roll for Room Doors, ie,how many Doors, & if any Furniture, if you want any.
A Normal Room can be searched for Treasure using the HQ cards, and Secret Doors, if there aren’t any standard doors. Don’t forget the DM turn after the last Hero. This can be quite interesting, when Traps & WM come into play. I find it is quite difficult to protect the Wizard, and you may decide to beef up his Defence dice & Body Points, but that is up to you. So far, I have played a couple of games, using a Quest Treasure Artifact as my aim. These of course are found in the first Quest Room that is rolled up. I guess one could play through the standard Quest Book using this Method. When opening a door in a room, roll the dice, odds it’s another room, evens, a corridor. Use your common if the room or corridor won’t fit.

Matrix for Passage Length
1-6, one length
7-12, two length
Passage Features
1-2 Wandering Monster
3-7 one door
8-10 two door
11-12 WM
Passage End
1-2 T junction
3-4 Dead End
5-7 Right Turn
8-10 Left Turn
11 Stairs Down
12 Stairs Out. If you find Stairs Out, go back to Junctions not rolled up, or search for Secret Doors in blank corridor sections.

Room Type
1-6, Normal
7-8 Hazard
9-10 Lair
11-12 Quest.

Room Doors
1-4 None
5-8 one
9-12 Two

Secret Doors
1-6 Nothing
7-12 Secret Door, place in wall being searched

Similarly, work out Matrix for Monsters in a Lair, using the HQ set & one to twelve on a roll, same for Quest Room. AHQ allows you to loot dead monsters, and why not?, so set a value on each group you roll up, and share it out. WM also can be looted, with the killer getting the cash! In AHQ the heroes & DM roll for suprise on lairs & quest rooms. Highest roll wins & places monsters, seems to work OK.
Hazard Rooms
The AHQ has a long line of Hazards, I have pared it down a bit, but no reason not to make up your own.
1-3 WM
4 Non Player, (Sir Ragnar? Damsel in Distress?, that sort of thing
5 Chasm, place a Chasm Tile in the room, with a Treasure Chest & a WM on the other side. Plus a door. Heroes can attempt to jump across, the kill the WM & open the chest. Roll for jump, 1-6 fall in, lose 1 Body, 7-12, succeed, fight the beast & open the chest. Open door, or jump back, same rule applies.
6 TC, 100 Gold
8 WM
9 Pool. Take a drink, 1-6 poison, lose one body point, 7-12, gain one body point.
10 Magic Circle. Stand on the circle. 1-2 Curse, lose one Body Point. 2-4 Nothing Happens, 5-7, if the wizard, Magic Power, play one spell of your chosing twice.8-10, Healing, restore to full body points, 11-12 WM

So, there you go, can be fun, and while away a few hours. You will need some graph paper to map your Dungeon, much easier than laying it all out, also you could run out of tiles! Depending on your luck with the dice.
PS to help the Wizard, I have cooked up a Bracegirdle, a Masonic Sash, to give him 2 extra in defence, and will put it in my next Quest Room
Last edited by ken on July 3rd, 2011, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Solo Play

Postby ken » June 28th, 2011, 8:31 am

I have played three Quests to date, searching for the three best HQ Treasures, the Spirit Blade, Borins Armour, Orcs Bane, with the Bracegirdle for the Wizard. They flowed quite well, rolling on the matrix aren’t too bad, I think the Combat Phase of AHQ lets it down, when you are in battle, at fever pitch, too much rolling defeats the object. The Heroes did suffer quite a lot, so its not all one way by any means. Next in line is Saving Sir Ragnar.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SonandDad » July 4th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Hi Dad

Found the thread at last.

What no Pics????? :roll:
Through the ages and generations the Power of the Quest will continue!!
SonandDad

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » August 27th, 2011, 4:16 am

You have to fix the matrice of the room generation since you can immediately generate the quest room.
It's said into the Advanced HeroQuest expansion indeed. (and also corrected into white dwarf magazines)

To play solo Advanced HeroQuest :

1 buy several D12 of different colors.
2 group all matrices in seperate pages of different colors
3 roll all the dices in one time then according to each color, you look the result in the page of the same colour.

For instance the first D12 is white and refers to the exploration generation with all tables.
The second is red, the red page is for the generation of the monsters.
Green for the secret door (even if you don't search one you have your result already done)
Etc

The best way is to use the original maps (all is done), include a search for treasure and trap rules, use the stats of the heroes and monsters already given into the rule book.
You also can easily "remake" the original cards, armory and magic shop.
The wizard will start with only 3 spells and will have to learn the others and pay for that. (+ the9 others of wizards of morcar)
Elf is begining with 1 spell of his own category. He also has to learn it all.
It runs perfectly.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ken » August 27th, 2011, 7:21 am

I have made a few changes since I started the Solo Quests. I found the Hazard Rooms don’t come up very often, so I decided to do away with them, but have added some of the Hazards to my Normal Room Contents Matrix.
Normal Room Contents
1-2 nothing
3-4 , 1 Wandering Monster
5-6, 2 W-M
7, 3 W-M
8, 4 W-M
9, Chasm, see normal AHQ rules
10-11, Statue, see normal AHQ rules
12, Treasure Chest.

T-C contents
1, Healing Potion
2, Potion of Battle
3, Potion of Restoration
4-6, roll on Traps matrix
7-9 Nothing!
10-12, 200 Gold

HQ France said;

You have to fix the matrice of the room generation since you can immediately generate the quest room.
It's said into the Advanced HeroQuest expansion indeed. (and also corrected into white dwarf magazines)
Well, no I don’t want to “fix” the matrix. I recently played a Quest where two Quest Rooms came up, one after the other, with crowds of monsters, so the heroes had to retreat, losing two of their number. I cannot see the point of playing the game just for the Heroes to win every time! I was playing Legacy of the Orc Warlord, and Grak was in the first Lair, which didn’t roll up, so the quest has to be played again. 2nd Normal Room should have been Equipment Store, that didn’t come up either, so the Heroes only had their basic kit, luckily they found a Stairs Out, or they would all have been lost.
To play solo Advanced HeroQuest :

1 buy several D12 of different colors.
2 group all matrices in seperate pages of different colors
3 roll all the dices in one time then according to each color, you look the result in the page of the same colour.

For instance the first D12 is white and refers to the exploration generation with all tables.
The second is red, the red page is for the generation of the monsters.
Green for the secret door (even if you don't search one you have your result already done)
Etc

The best way is to use the original maps (all is done), include a search for treasure and trap rules, use the stats of the heroes and monsters already given into the rule book.
I use the standard AHQ passage & room tiles, if you use the standard HQ map, you know what is coming!
You also can easily "remake" the original cards, armory and magic shop.
The wizard will start with only 3 spells and will have to learn the others and pay for that. (+ the9 others of wizards of morcar)
Elf is begining with 1 spell of his own category. He also has to learn it all.
It runs perfectly.
My wizard started with all twelve standard spells from HQ, as I don’t use an Elf character. She (I use the “Howling Hag” mini.), can buy multiples of these spells, assuming she gets some Gold from searching for treasure, also killing monsters! She has lasted pretty well, I don’t get her to take silly chances, but try to be fair and even handed, making the monsters chase her where feasible.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Crusader » June 10th, 2017, 11:35 am

I started to get into AHQ again recently and got some additional material from Ebay. I started to think about the Solo Play rules and remembered an old Commodore Amiga disk I had way back when which served as the Gamesmaster. I dug it (and the old Amiga 1200) out but unfortunately couldn't get the disk to work. Does anyone else own a copy, or better still, has anyone converted it to a PC version?
The label on the disk says it is Easy PD disk catalogue number 1920 although I have seen it listed as 1092 on the only website I have found it mentioned on. Would love to get this up and going again!
Crusader

Goblin
Goblin

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room