• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Comparing the AHQ Variants

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: Comparing the AHQ Variants

Postby Kurgan » January 10th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Davane wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:I only recognize the portcullis and the trap door from AHQ.

Checking now, but I can confirm that the Portcullis comes from AHQ. The Treasure Chest posted does not, but DOES seem to have been done in the same artistic style of AHQ.

In fact, I believe that upon seeing the MWS (not that I ever knew it existed before Ye Olde Inn) my first impression of the Hazards were how they were mostly all done in the artistic style of AHQ. I think the Wooden Treasure Chest may actually BE from AHQ. The Closed Zombie Tomb seems more like the Tombs from RotWL, but the Open Zombie Lair is more like the Pit from AHQ.

The listed Trap Door seems to be the Grate from AHQ. if I recall correctly, there was also an actual Trap Door tile in AHQ.

Finally, and somewhat ironically, the Death Reapers are NOT from AHQ. AHQ included Skull tokens for tracking monster wounds, but they were a lot less cartoonish than the Death Reapers provided.

Thanks for the replies! Yes, that PDF for some reason only works if you download it (rather than clicking to load in your browser) at the moment. So clearly inspired by the same artstyle, a kind of cross promotion. I just wondered if they were just dumping AHQ material straight into HQ classic. ;)

I also didn't realize that Advanced HeroQuest was purely Gamesworkshop without MiltonBradley (Hasbro) being involved. I wonder if that means there would be any chance of seeing a revamp of AHQ? I suppose it wasn't nearly as popular to get nostalgic about. Then again, if they DID remake it... boom, we could get some quality GW minis to swap into the Hasbro remake. I can dream...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Stig » January 11th, 2021, 8:02 am

I think they effectively did, but "updated" AHQ and called it Warhammer Quest.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Davane » January 11th, 2021, 7:29 pm

Stig wrote:I think they effectively did, but "updated" AHQ and called it Warhammer Quest.

It's hard to call WHQ an update of AHQ. It's pretty much a brand-new game, built from the ground up, and solidly based in the Warhammer IP. I am guessing that since GW didn't have access to HQ brand after their split with MB, and their Warhammer World was so firmly established, it made sense to create a new dungeon crawler entirely within the Warhammer License.

I don't think AHQ got the love it deserved, and the split between GW and MB kind of put and end to it ever being reprised. The same kind of goes with the other GW/MB collab, Space Crusade, and the GW only Advanced Space Crusade. Instead, GW has the wholly GW created Space Hulk IP. Unlike with HQ though, the 40K universe is pretty much ALL product identity for GW, so I doubt Hasbro will ever even consider reprising Space Crusade, even if there was a significant fan-base for it.

Because MB wasn't involved in AHQ, I don't believe there was ever the big advertising push globally for AHQ, and as such it remained a niche game that rarely saw any interest beyond the UK. GW didn't really start making inroads into other regional markets until the mid-90's, by which time AHQ was already out of print.

Shame really, because AHQ really was the old-skool dungeon crawler board game of the late 80's, almost entirely in the vein of D&D, where you had to EARN your money. Just as grognards might recall the days of D&D when every copper piece mattered, the world moved on, and AHQ was left behind as a relic of the past...

GW hasn't made many attempts to revive the WHQ IP. They stated long ago that the business of board games doesn't have enough profit for them, and WHQ was pretty much the last "big box board game" GW would ever make.

Ultimately, the history of GW is almost as sad as the history of TSR. I feel that the only real resolution for the HQ legacy will be if Hasbro EVER buy out GW, which would mean they not only gain the rights to use the Warhammer World in HQ, but they gain the rights to AHQ AND WHQ, and maybe we'll see a much-more loved reprisal of AHQ...

It would be a sad day for GW, but GW lost their soul when they were bought out by Citadel Miniatures and decided to become a miniatures-focused company as opposed to a games-focused company. I hear they are struggling with the rise of 3d printing...
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Kurgan » January 14th, 2021, 12:01 am

3D Printing has come a long way in the last few years...

You seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of GW history... thanks for sharing! I had no idea there was an ADVANCED Space Crusade.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Davane » January 14th, 2021, 10:12 am

Kurgan wrote:3D Printing has come a long way in the last few years...

You seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of GW history... thanks for sharing! I had no idea there was an ADVANCED Space Crusade.

I'm a British gamer... I grew up with this! Plus, the internet is great for archiving the past...

Yeah, HQ and AHQ were released about a month or so apart, and the same with Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade. Both were released before Kellar's Keep and the NA edition of HQ, about six months apart between HQ and SC. ASC would go on to be Space Hulk and AHQ would go on to be WHQ...

This was the golden age of GW in my opinion... early to mid '90's.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Stig » August 16th, 2021, 9:36 am

Another question: with monster stats, does the statline include the monster's weapons; or do you need to adjust the statline to account for their axe or whatever? Im thinking also of 2nd edition, where in the monsters section at the back there is a "DD" column. It doesnt make it clear if the DD includes the weapon.

Also is there an MS word version of the rules somewhere?

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 16th, 2021, 11:34 am

Not a fan of the "Age of Sigmar" and current 40K stuff then I take it? Perhaps I shouldn't (re)open that can of worms. :D I frequent a few game shops that have those minis in stock and while they look cool, I'd probably never buy any of them (for many reasons, not least of which I already have everything I could ever need for HQ).

The idea of a modular dungeon, tokens and the new minis appeal to me, but the rest of it doesn't really grab my attention. Not having grown up with it is another big reason (no nostalgia factor) and the fact that it's essentially another product, rather than a direct expansion like the others. I have an easier time wanting to seek out the Japanese edition, but that's really a variant ruleset, this is its own self-contained game.

I think it's great though that more folks are recognizing that HQ was its own thing, great in its own right, rather than just "training wheels" or a "stepping stone" to other things, as if it was meant to be left behind when newer stuff came out. Some would say "why bother with this when WHQ is out" but yet again, it's a different product, with its own strengths and weaknesses, fanbase, etc.

These past products aren't gone, they're just waiting for someone to notice them again.

So as always good luck compiling that history and perhaps re-introducing it to others who didn't get a chance back in the day! :2cents:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Stig » August 21st, 2021, 1:59 pm

I notice that in Reforged the monster and hero stats are a bit lower, so presumably porting the extensive list of equipment from Reforged into Second edition wouldn’t work? The damage bands with letters in Reforged is a super idea, but that leaves common weapons with slightly different DD to second edition. I’m loving that second edition got everything into 62 pages, but the depth of Reforged is brilliant.

Rewards:
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » August 25th, 2021, 7:54 am

You could take the damage band table and change it to make the whole lot importable into another version.
So take the other damage table for say, a sword, and lable it as band D.

Basically do this for the damage band for each "Basic" weapon, and you're good.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » August 25th, 2021, 1:22 pm

slev wrote:You could take the damage band table and change it to make the whole lot importable into another version.
So take the other damage table for say, a sword, and lable it as band D.

Basically do this for the damage band for each "Basic" weapon, and you're good.

Great idea!

Rewards:
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room