• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Advanced Heroquest dungeon generator

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: Advanced Heroquest dungeon generator

Postby Mophus » July 27th, 2015, 2:36 am

Thanks for the file and explanation. I have seen the Excel-painting japanese in the meantime and withdraw my assumption of the graphic possibilities of Excel :-).

As you've already mentioned, the logic is the toughie. I've absolutely no idea how to tell Excel where the doors can be placed. There could be 2 doors and a secret door, which are random placed, in every room...

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby whitebeard » July 27th, 2015, 8:27 am

Mophus wrote:Thanks for the file and explanation. I have seen the Excel-painting japanese in the meantime and withdraw my assumption of the graphic possibilities of Excel :-).

As you've already mentioned, the logic is the toughie. I've absolutely no idea how to tell Excel where the doors can be placed. There could be 2 doors and a secret door, which are random placed, in every room...

My obstacle in helping you is that I do not own advanced HQ. So I can only assume basic dungeon creation.

This kind of thing is a bit of work, but not difficult for me. The architecture put forth so far is completely generic. I can read the dungeon creation rules and continue, if you really want it and will use it.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Mophus » July 27th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Ok, I've practiced the drawing of rooms:

Is there a way to create text connected with the tiles? I'm afraid, that a color code is limited, when the number of rooms rises to high.

Rewards:
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » July 27th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Mophus wrote:Ok, I've practiced the drawing of rooms:

Is there a way to create text connected with the tiles? I'm afraid, that a color code is limited, when the number of rooms rises to high.

Having thought about it more, I would draw all rooms the same color. And draw a single point and color in the center of each room. Eg red square is the stairway, orange triangle the throne room.

So this would be a second draw list... Center point is already there. It should look quite nice if you go full screen with the chart.

What is the triangle inside the first room?

The room type in my XLS is supposed to load unique room shapes like "T" and elbow corridors. Maybe all you need are boxes?

The orientation of the room (angle in radians) can be computed from the patent node's normal (not included) and the attached node (local node) normal.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Mophus » July 28th, 2015, 8:15 am

The triangle is a playing around for marking stairs. Every dungeon in AHQ starts with stairs, 2 corridors followed by a T-junction. Last is where the generation starts.

A junction causes always a corridor. A corridor can end with another junction, a corner or a dead-end. Generated doors in corridors lead always to rooms. Doors in rooms can lead to another room or a corridor.

There are only four tile shapes needed:
Large rooms 10x5
Small rooms 5x5
Corridors and dead-ends 10x2
Stairs and junctions 2x2

Terror in the Dark give some special large rooms, but these are primary needed to represent adventure areas in the deepest dungeon level. These areas are designed to be handmade and not generated.

Rewards:
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room