• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Room Type Table Adapted from AHQ

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Room Type Table Adapted from AHQ

Postby Kyle+ » September 16th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Advanced Heroquest seems all too complicated for me to tackle, especially since I'm an HQ single player most of the time, however, one thing I really love about AHQ (apart from the awesome art in the instructions) is how they break it down with simple mechanics you can use to make a randomized dungeon. I feel that certain elements such as the Hazard Rooms, Traps, and Wandering Monsters tables fit well enough into the HeroQuest game system without making it too "rpg-y". I've been working on translating certain AHQ elements into HQ compatible terms, and this Room Type Table is a small example. As a side note, I had no idea what Warhammer or Games Workshop was when I was a kid in the 90s, and so I kind of cherish AHQ as the most explicit and direct link between HQ and the warhammer-verse.

Room Type Table
D6. Room
• 1. 1 trap
• 2. 1 treasure chest with D6x10 gold coins
• 3 wandering monsters
• 4 wandering monster champions (roll for each type)
• 5. lair (roll wandering monsters x2)
• 6. hazard

Cheers
Kyle+

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Room Type Table Adapted from AHQ

Postby Bango » September 16th, 2021, 4:34 pm

I had a friend with advanced hero quest and it seemed interesting but we were too stupid to understand all the rules...
Later on we went to play Warhammer Quest.

Does it play a lot different, do you know by chance?
Bango

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Re: Room Type Table Adapted from AHQ

Postby Kyle+ » September 17th, 2021, 7:45 am

I never tried. It seems a bit too complex from my perspective, and I know this is how a lot of people feel about it. I've never played Warhammer Quest either, but it seems more approachable. In fact, trying it out (and other adventure board games of the late 80s/early 90s era) is on my bucket list. One of the things that is so attractive about HeroQuest to me is its simplicity. Many game companies today release updates their games and advertise that in the new version the "rules have been streamlined", which is a way of saying "you won't have to stop playing and page through an encyclopedic reference book as often." I've had a lot of fun coming up with elaborate dice-rolling contingencies for my HeroQuest homebrew, but when I sit down and playtest it, I find that fiddling with too many reference tables kind of takes me out of the moment - it breaks the immersive cinematic quality of the gameplay. So I learned that while my mind is having a great time coming up with crazy dice rolling scenarios, what I am really after is a simpler, more mindful experience of getting out of my head and into the pieces on the board.

What about you? From your perspective, how would you say that Warhammer Quest is compared to HeroQuest?
Kyle+

Goblin
Goblin

Return to Rules