• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Recommended Homebrew?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Recommended Homebrew?

Postby Ragnar IronFist » Saturday January 16th, 2021 10:53am

I was wondering which of y’all’s homebrew rules For basic HQ would be most recommended for somebody looking to flesh out the game just a little, but while still keeping it simple for a guy about to bring his kiddo into the game? (Okay I just throw the kid under the bus. To be honest I’m a bit of a thickie when it comes to pouring through and remembering a lengthy rule omnibus, and it’s been awhile since I’ve checked in, so I forget what the popular choices are here)...but I AM gonna start playing with the 7 yo...

Oh and I do have a set Of those sweet multicolored HQ dice. Haven’t even tried them yet (And I forget whose rules those were even for...)
Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Recommended Homebrew?

Postby whitebeard » Saturday January 16th, 2021 11:02am

The simplest way to extend HeroQuest without complicating any rules is to add more diverse artifacts. Not artifacts which over-power, but artifacts which more clearly define roles.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Saturday January 16th, 2021 11:29am

Hi Ragnar

You’ll probably get 100 different answers on this but this is my :2cents: . I find these flesh out the game really nicely without detracting from HQ’s main strength, the simple mechanics.

- Evil Wizard cards to make Morcar’s job a bit more interesting http://english.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/ ... wizard.pdf (simple rules at the bottom of the link).

- Mind based rolls to activate Spell Scrolls (this makes mind points more useful as well as adding flavour to the Wizard’s game, as a sensible Hero party will give their scrolls to the Wizard) http://english.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/ ... crolls.pdf

- each room can only be treasure searched ONCE in total, not once per Hero. However, each individual piece of furniture can also be searched once as well. This is a huge improvement to the treasure rules in my opinion, for a number of reasons.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » Saturday January 16th, 2021 12:38pm

I agree - look at showdown35's heroquest site and the evil wizard deck in my sig:

http://www.showdowndave.ca/heroquest/

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie!
Stig

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Saturday January 16th, 2021 3:48pm

Replace finding traps and secret doors with the established rules and go with my variant
Roll your Mind Dice (Dwarf may add 4 Dice for Traps and Secret Doors rolls) and your character is looking for a Black Shield. Very simple mechanic.
I use Mind Rolls very extensively at my table. Northern Wastelands Barbie tends to just follow the other dudes and kill the enemy. :)

For removing Traps we use the same mechanic. If you have the Tool Belt it adds 4 Dice to your Mind Roll. Makes the Wizard a real powerhouse at dungeneering once he has tools. But those low Body Points tends to keep him from the Job.
A Tool Belt in the Hands of a Dwarf or a Merc Scout is a must for the most difficult of traps. Some traps are so complicated only a Scout or Dwarf with the tools can hope to disarm them.

I got a bunch other rules but you said kids and keep it simple....
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Rules