• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Josh's house rules

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Josh's house rules

Postby Josh » Sunday November 22nd, 2020 12:39pm

Jumping Pit Traps:
Dont roll a BlackShield on a single CombatDie & you succeed.
Fact: Most players never risked a 50/50% chance of being hurt. Most simply & (time consumably) crawled in n out of the Pit to avoid injury.

Treasure deck "Traps":
Don't roll a Skull & you succeed.
Opinion: Sucks that you can't dodge these. Allowing it offers more versatility to hero's such as a Monk/Thief or Dwarf who instead want to avoid rolling a WhiteShield to succeed.
You could make this more difficult by saying " roll a BShield to dodge." This would give even BROADER variety to different classes of players.

Magic:
Roll BShields with MPoints to defend only! Assume all magic is a automatic hit
Example - Genie does 3automatic points of damage instead of 5Dice random Dam. Enemy needs BShields with MPoints to minimize the Damage. Same with Ball of Fire & so forth.
Tempest, Sleep etc. Is an automatic hit unless enemy rolls ONE BShield with MPoints.
The Gargoyle & CWarrior will sadly need an extra MindPoint for this all to be reasonable though I think.

Searching:
Roll BlackShields with MindPoints to find ALL things hidden (treasure, traps, secret doors).
All players can find treasure, but by rolling two extra BlackShields with MindPoints, all three are discovered in a single turn!
Hell, you might even get a bonus for rolling three BlackShields or more.
Fact: This will speed up the game.

Listening:
Roll BlackShields with MindPoints to hear/discern what type of monsters are on the other side of the door. this can only be done once per room & it exposes the weakest creature first, then the next strongest creature with two BlackShields etc,etc.
But does not tell you how many of each are in there.

Holding a door shut: This is more for laughs though.
Roll a Skull on a CombatDie. Adjacent heroes & enemies may assist.
Same Roll as Hand2Hand fighting.

Weapons Rack:
Always gives a random weapon on a roll of a D6.But the weapon looses an AttackDie every time it does a point of damage till it is destroyed. May be sold for 10% of its value no matter its condition.

Flip Table or Tip over Book Case:
Roll a Skull o succeed.
7/8 BodyPoints Roll 3 Combat dice.
5/6 BodyPoints Roll 2 CD.
3/4 BodyPoints Roll 1 CD.
Book Case does 2Attack to all underneath it & is Defended normally. A "flipped table" protects you against whatever is on the other side of it.

Movement Dice:
Roll a 10 or above and you can:
#1 Automatically jump a Pit Trap.
#2 Move through one enemy even diagonally.If there is a space available.
#3 Jump up on to a table/BookCase where you gain a 1D6 to your Att & Def rolls and you succeed when you roll a 1. Monsters can attempt this also with a 2D6 roll.
#4 Push an enemy back one square & all enemies behind them are displaced one square.
Roll a 11 gain said benefits or the ability to MAM.
Roll a 12 & gain said benefits or reroll a single Att or Def Die.

Hand2hand fighting.
Each BodyPoint can take four Skulls damage before the BPoint is lost. You are unconscious when all your BPoints are lost & will awake for the next quest unless a spell or potion helps you.
HEROS
7/8 BodyPoints, Rolls three CombatDice to Attack or Defend. A Monk could have 4Die.
5/6 BP, Roll two CDice.
3/4 BP, Rolls one CDie.
MONSTERS
Gargoyle - Rolls 4Att/5Def.
ChaosWarrior - 4Att/4Def.
Fimir , Mummy - 3Att/4def.
Zombie, Orc - 2Att/3Def.
Skeleton, Goblin - 1Att/2Def.
It seems reasonable that all the Monsters should have ONE more Defense Die so that Heros are not tempted to fistfight everything they see hoping that their BPoint difference will save them:)

Ill expand this list over time. Feed back is appreciated.
Last edited by Josh on Wednesday February 3rd, 2021 1:00am, edited 58 times in total.
Josh

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Josh's house rules

Postby bigmiked43 » Tuesday November 24th, 2020 10:55pm

Very nice! What kind of random weapons might a hero find in a weapon rack?
Drink this brown, frothy liquid
bigmiked43

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Postby Josh » Thursday December 3rd, 2020 9:41pm

6 - Halbeard & Spear 3Att & 2Att.
4/5 - Battle Axe 4Att.
2/3 - Long Bow 2Att.
1 - Long Sword 3Att.

I figure you want to tempt the Heroes to use them, other wise they'll just keep em to sell latter.
I was tempted to allow the bladed weapons to be thrown once & then become destroyed. But holyshit a 4Att flying battle axe? LOL That might be pushing it but definitely would encourage them to use them.
Josh

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » Friday December 4th, 2020 12:59am

99% unrelated... but I don't care. :-)

This made me remember a time when playing a space fantasy (think generic star wars) game where we were breaking out of a prison. During the final fight (we could see the getaway ship) my looted gun ran out of space bullets. The game stopped completely when I said "I throw the empty gun at the last guard. What do I roll?" Short story shorter, after everyone stopped laughing, I rolled some dice and dealt 1 stamina point of damage to the guard (the not all that important of the 2 hit point pools) and now I get regularly told not to throw things in unrelated games.
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » Friday December 4th, 2020 6:27am

Orc26 wrote:99% unrelated... but I don't care. :-)

This made me remember a time when playing a space fantasy (think generic star wars) game where we were breaking out of a prison. During the final fight (we could see the getaway ship) my looted gun ran out of space bullets. The game stopped completely when I said "I throw the empty gun at the last guard. What do I roll?" Short story shorter, after everyone stopped laughing, I rolled some dice and dealt 1 stamina point of damage to the guard (the not all that important of the 2 hit point pools) and now I get regularly told not to throw things in unrelated games.

Sounds like a Han Solo move.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Friday December 4th, 2020 7:07pm

Orc26 wrote:This made me remember a time when playing a space fantasy (think generic star wars) game where we were breaking out of a prison. During the final fight (we could see the getaway ship) my looted gun ran out of space bullets. The game stopped completely when I said "I throw the empty gun at the last guard. What do I roll?" Short story shorter, after everyone stopped laughing, I rolled some dice and dealt 1 stamina point of damage to the guard (the not all that important of the 2 hit point pools) and now I get regularly told not to throw things in unrelated games.
LOL I remember D&D in the mid 80's my brother would get pissed at me for asking if I could do these things.
"Can I throw my Long Sword at the rope holding the giant chandelier so it falls on all the enemies? :)
Brother: " *sigh* Yeah if you roll a fuking 20.Lol
Josh

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Josh » Monday January 18th, 2021 8:34pm

I could use some criticism/ pointers about the rules I made. The ones that really bother me are Magic & Hand2Hand fighting.

Magic - is handled very differently & is mostly only DEFENDED by the opponent. This way spells are always assumed to hit but depends on the enemies MPoints to defend if they can roll BShields using MPoints to minimize damage.

H2Hand fighting - might need to allow the enemy ONE more CombatDie since they're defense is so bad. I do not want a Monk/Barb/Dwarf to be able to beat the crap out of a Gargoyle/CWarrior to easily since most Heroes have more BPoints than the enemy.
Perhaps they both roll WShields to Defend?... & he with the best rolls & most BPoints wins? Idk

I am not interested in niceties, give me hell! Thank you!
Josh

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Monday January 18th, 2021 9:57pm

Black shields are fairly hard to roll on white dice.
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:

Postby Josh » Tuesday February 2nd, 2021 7:17pm

(I reedited that magic can only be defended against)
Kurgan wrote:Black shields are fairly hard to roll on white dice.

Agreed. That's why I'm thinking by rolling 1 BShield you dispel half the damage being done to you.
2 BShields dispels it completely. Thankfully only the Wizard will be pulling this off more of the time than the other players:)

It does allow for extra Artifact Cards though that lets you reroll a single Die if you wanted it. Not a great boost but would make the Wizard more powerful over time if he can get a couple of these Artifacts.

The other option is of course to allow both Heroes & Monsters to roll WShields with their MPoints when defending against magic. This increases the odds & we would need TWO WShields to partially defend against a spell...& THREE WShields to fully defend against a spell.
I am ok with this, what say you or others? We must find a way to make use of MPoints to be equal in value to "Attack n Defense" when it comes to magic.

Sadly though the Undead would have no defense against magic & I do not like that.
Josh

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules