• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Wizard's Arsenal (Have I gone too far?)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

The Wizard's Arsenal (Have I gone too far?)

Postby Kurgan » May 30th, 2020, 5:34 pm

These have the potential, I suppose, to totally break the game. When it comes to unfair Quests like those found in some of Expansions, however, I don't feel so bad if that's the case.
Presenting...

The Wizard's Arsenal! (or the Alchemist's Arsenal)

Long ago we read in the Hero Quest Instruction Manual:
WizardsArsenalInspiration_InstructionsText.png

How disappointed I was that this promise was never fulfilled!

Until now...

So I set to work creating various “powerful magic items” that the Wizard could purchase and only he could use. The idea would be that I would reveal this once the Wizard has reached Champion status (3-5 quests complete), or I suppose it could be used once he complete most/all of the Game System quests. I didn't want to make things too complicated, and not make every item a glorified spell scroll (since we already have those).

( Of course for “de-magicified” campaigns I substitute the Alchemist's equivalents, where they are alchemical devices )

Prices and details are subject to change...

Welcome, my friend, here you will find many powerful magical items that only you, the Wizard, may use. Many magical gems exist that may be affixed, one at a time, to your Wizard's Staff (once you have acquired it). You may only carry one Jewel at a time into a Quest, unless you purchase a Breastplate to carry more. Some objects have a Mind Point requirement. Its power may weaken or vanish until your Mind Points again reach this level if you are ever weakened. Use them wisely!

Ethereal Sword (Alchemist equivalent: Flare Torch)
300 gold coins
This magic ring generates an ethereal blade which attacks adjacently with the strength of three black Combat Dice. It may be used up to three times per quest. You may not use the Staff while the blade is active.
Requires 6 Mind Points

Circlet of Healing (Alchemist equivalent: Herbal Cap)
450 gold coins
This magic circlet allows the Wizard to heal himself to full Body Points once per quest. It also allows him to substitute 1 Green Die when defending.
Requires 5 Mind Points

Mind Gem (Alchemist Equivalent: Mind Tuner)
300 gold coins
This magic gem may be inserted into the Circlet of Healing. When the Circlet is used, it also restores his Mind Points to full.

Ring of Light (Alchemist equivalent: Flash Ring)
300 gold coins
As long as this ring is worn, you can ignore all “Hazard” and “Wandering Monster” cards when you Search for Treasure. This does not protect you from Wandering Monster traps, however.
Requires 5 Mind Points

Staff of Fire (Alchemist equivalent: Flame Cannon)
300 gold coins
This enchanted jewel contains the power of fire. When attached to the Wizard's Staff, it allows the Wizard to use the Fire of Wrath spell three times per quest,
regardless of what spell cards he has available.
Requires 5 Mind Points

Wand of Wind (Alchemist equivalent: Rod of Ice)
350 gold coins
This magic jewel holds the power of ice. When attached to the Wizard's Staff, it allows the Wizard to use the Ice Storm spell three times per quest, regardless of what spell cards he has available.
Requires 6 Mind Points

Lightning Gauntlets (Alchemist equivalent: Electric Gauntlets)
600 gold coins
These magical gloves are infused with the power of lightning, allowing the Wizard to cast powerful bolts that can attack any enemy you can see with 2 Combat Dice (the victim cannot defend). They may be used up to five times per quest.
Requires 6 Mind Points

Spectral Shield (Alchemist equivalent: Battle Meditation - a musical instrument)
500 gold coins
This wand generates a magical shield covering up to 8 squares around the Wizard. If he has 7-8 Mind Points, it extends out two squares in all directions. With 9+ Mind Points, it extends three squares in all directions. If his Mind Points decrease, the reach of the shield decreases. All allies within the Shield defend with Green Dice. The power lasts until the Wizard takes 1 Body Point of damage or damages a foe with an attack or spell. Walls block the extent of the effect. May be used once per quest.
Requires 6 Mind Points

Spectacles of Sight (Alchemist equivalent: Bat Box or Far Lantern)
325 gold coins
This magic ring allows the wearer to instantly reveal all hidden Traps the moment he is within line of sight of their squares. Wandering Monster traps force the Monster to appear on the square you can "see.” That Monster may not attack until Zargon's turn. You may ignore Hazard cards when searching for Treasure as well.
Requires 5 Mind Points

Acid Amulet (Alchemist equivalent: Acid Siphon)
300 gold coins
This magical amulet allows the Wizard to use the equivalent of “Rust” up to three times per quest, regardless of what spell cards he has available.
Requires 6 Mind Points

Taliesin's Breastplate (Alchemist equivalent: Alchemist Pack)
400 gold coins
This magic breastplate allows the Wizard to carry multiple magic jewels or gems at a time, to place them into the Wizard's Staff on his turn. Increases his Mind Points by 1 for as long as it is worn. Requires at least one magical jewel or gem. Switching gems requires an action and ends the effects of the one that was previously active.

Codex of Magic (Alchemist equivalent: Great Work)
850 gold coins
This mystic tome grants the Wizard access to magical knowledge based on his Mind Points.
6 Mind Points = Choose 1 extra class of 3 spells.
7-8 Mind Points = Choose 2 extra classes of 3 spells each.
9+ Mind Points = Choose 3 extra classes of 3 spells each.
If the Wizard loses Mind Points, he loses control of the extra spells, until these Mind Points are restored. Spells may each only be used once per quest.
Note: New sets of Spells can only be used if they have been made available for the Quest being played. These spells are selected after the Wizard and Elf have chosen their cards, from those that remain.

Ariel Sphere / Orb of Air (Alchemist equivalent: Web Canister)
250 gold coins
This mystical jewel is infused with the power of air. When attached to the Wizard's Staff, it allows him to use the equivalent Tempest three times per quest, regardless of what spell cards he has available.

Mantle of Passage (Alchemist equivalent: Hyrax Chief)
200 gold coins
The wearer of this magical cape may draw another ally with him as he passes through walls. They travel together as if their movement was identical as long as the two are adjacent. It can also be used to retrieve an ally who has been trapped inside solid rock, restoring him to life. The power continues to your next turn if you are still inside solid rock. However once you have moved to safety after this, the power ends until the next quest.

Note on "spell equivalents": These may NOT be used to contribute to the Spell/Spell Scroll cards needed to sacrifice to Summon an Elemental at "Knight" level.
For purposes of gameplay, these items should be treated like Artifacts. I may put a limit on only being able to buy one of each item.

5,375 gold coins to buy everything! But remember, your gear recharges in between quests! To earn this much gold will take 1-2 quest packs.

I'm still working on the graphics, but I plan to have a page to serve as a new "Shop" for the Wizard/Alchemist character (double-sided for both versions). I intend this to be used in conjunction with my Hero upgrade system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on October 11th, 2020, 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Wizard's Arsenal (Have I gone too far?)

Postby slev » May 31st, 2020, 4:25 am

Well, I don't know your upgraded system, so can't comment of the utility.

However, you've had an idea broadly equivalent to my "Enchanter's Emporium", which contained various magical equipment, parallel to the armoury/equipment cards of the original game. This way, the Barbarian can use pretty much any weapons and armour, the wizard is the other way around, and the Elf and Dwarf lie on points in between. Basically the more access to you have to one, the less access you have to the other.

Several of mine though are tied into an upgraded Magic system, partially inspired by the Japanese magic system and partially by some discussion comments where we where talking about the problems with magic.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 1st, 2020, 12:31 pm

Nice. Great minds think along similar lines. I wasn't trying to copy anybody, but I'd love to see your system too.
Last edited by Kurgan on June 1st, 2020, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby slev » June 1st, 2020, 1:02 pm

the thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2781

My finished cards can be found via the link in my sig.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 1st, 2020, 6:22 pm

nice... though the thread title is misspelled, might make it harder to find in searches...

Rich stuff here indeed!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 5th, 2021, 10:56 am

I realize I only created three magic jewels/gems for use with the breastplate. I think I would allow multiple gems to be purchased, but Taliesin's Breastplate can hold a max of 9. So you could "use up" one gem, then switch to the next one, even if it had the same exact power (you bought it, its yours)... assuming you have enough Mind Points to use each gem of course.

In my upgrade system:

If the Wizard completes 3-5 quests (three hard or 5 medium/easy), he becomes a Champion. This means he gets 2 extra Mind Points from wearing the Talisman of Lore, instead of 1.

Wearing Taliesin's Breastplate grants 1 extra MP to the Wizard.

If he finds the Artifact known as the Magister's Hood (Alchemist Equivalent: Aurora Consurgens), the Wizard gets 1 extra MP.

So potentially he could have up to 10 MP! This means he could potentially have six sets of spells (18 cards) to use (assuming the Wizards of Zargon spells are unlocked... the Elf can after all choose between those spells or the regular four element types OR he can pick the Elf Spells if those are unlocked, allowing the Wizard his free choice).

So in my system, if the Wizard saves his gold (or gets generous donations from the other Heroes), he can wreak havoc in a quest! His only downfall would be accidentally rolling poison when drawing a Potion card, getting hit by a Chaos Spell (he can easily resist those that require rolling Mind Points, but those that drain them will be his bane, or those that do instant damage), or forgetting to equip something when he needs it most. That's the thing with the Wizard, the more stuff he has, the more there is to manage, which will make his turn last longer, but gives more potential for error. Eventually he wouldn't have to play so conservatively, and depending on his power level, adding more (or more powerful) monsters could be in order.

Since he can gain a way to easily heal himself, that may encourage him to use his healing primarily for the other Heroes.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » February 5th, 2021, 6:33 pm

I am also trying to make the Wizard more interesting/competitive.
Did you have a look at this topic already? Wizard MAGIC STAFF: Phoenix, Sea, Stone & Wind (+new spells)
I guess you may find it interesting...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 5th, 2021, 6:41 pm

I thought they were definitely cool ideas and I liked the artwork too. I haven't worked on this in awhile, but someday I will pick it up again I'm sure.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 3rd, 2021, 11:00 pm

Credit to Pancho for beating me to the punch with the "bat" idea! (in his Tyrant's Tomb adaptation)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Rules