• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Useless potion of alchemy

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Useless potion of alchemy

Postby The Admiral » March 29th, 2020, 10:56 am

Hmmmm...let's convert this broadside with a retail value of 125 into pure gold! And then sell it for 100. What now!
It is basically 75. Buy a dagger, convert and sell. But recently my brother had a great idea. How often do you come across rusty useless weapons on the weapon rack. He suggested you should be allowed to take one to use the potion on. I thought, yeah, why not. At least you get the full 100 then.

Another solution might be to allow the alchemied weapon to be sold at full value.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Useless potion of alchemy

Postby Jafazo » March 29th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Potion of Alchemy? Sounds like a homebrew item. Link it so I can read on it.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » March 30th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Jafazo wrote:Potion of Alchemy? Sounds like a homebrew item. Link it so I can read on it.

It was one of the new treasure cards in the Wizards of Morcar set.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » March 30th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Ok I read it. I think it's supposed to be a card worth about 75 gold. Maybe just let him find a dagger or two whenever he'd find a potion of alchemy so he gets the 100 gold worth. Anytime you turn a dagger into 100 gold this way you're gonna feel like you're out 25 gold. It's just a matter of perception. It's like if he bought a dagger, turned it to gold, and you let him sell it for 125, he'll feel like he could've gotten 125 instead of 100 after buying a dagger for 25.

I definitely wouldn't let him sell the piece of equipment at its full value. That pushes the value way past 100 into the 400s, a definite no.

Maybe just tell him the arrow to a crossbow counts and he can drizzle it over one and sell it for 100 gold. Boom, he uses a weapon with no value and gets the full 100 gold value.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » March 31st, 2020, 12:47 pm

Depends. Maybe one of the characters is a real jerk.
Wizard finds potion of alchemy. Waits for Dwarf to turn his back. Spreads potion on Dwarf's armor. Boom! Wizard just made 100 gold pieces. :lol:

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 1st, 2020, 7:04 pm

Let's make a custom quest... with a new villain, he can be killed only with a GOLDEN balde!
What do you think? Now if you already used the potion and sold that item to get 100 gold coins you have to struggle to go back and find that merchant and it will sell it back for 400...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » April 1st, 2020, 8:39 pm

I have a novel, if overpowered, secondary use for Oil of Alchemy in my system:
It can be used in response to getting hit with Rust to counteract the spell and keep your stuff intact.

This, of course, dramatically increases the value of the Oil beyond its original 100-ish. Therefore you should very definitely not sell Oil in an Alchemist's Shop if you use this tweak.

On a related note, Flint from Old Scratch (RIP in pepperoni) had a type of Oil sold in stores that allowed players to swap some of their attacking dice for improved Black ones with 4 skulls on. I mention this because that type of Oil also negated Rust (although the benefit of rolling the Black dice would also be lost).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 2nd, 2020, 9:24 am

Count Mohawk wrote:This, of course, dramatically increases the value of the Oil beyond its original 100-ish. Therefore you should very definitely not sell Oil in an Alchemist's Shop if you use this tweak.

Some particular items are found in treasures cards only and the relative cards should not be returned to the deck everytime but only occasionally, maybe every 3 or 4 quests.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » April 3rd, 2020, 3:19 pm

Was the card introduced because UK edition didn't have sale of weapons back to a shop? Memory is slipping me but might explain why.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » August 21st, 2020, 11:43 am

Nobody likes Orcs Bane... coat that with this pasty potion and get some value out of it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules