• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My New (Expanded) Armory... (yes, another one)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: My New (Expanded) Armory... (yes, another one)

Postby Kurgan » August 5th, 2021, 11:41 am

Yeah I have a whole upgrade system for my heroes and monsters already too. Won't be to everyone's liking, but it's based on quests completed rather than random dice roll or paying out gold. The Wizard's weakness is his low combat ability and weak armor. So I figure he gets some stuff, but it costs him more, but since he's saving gold by not buying those other things (that he can't use), he can do it, then again if he's buying potions there's that, but I made it very easy for him to get free potions essentially. My Wizard right now is a potion factory, and my upgrades place his ability to be the character that "jumps in with the save" as far as launching some awesome spell when the chips are down or there's a big bad guy/mob in need of assistance (when blades alone won't get the job done). But he's still not going to be the combat monster leader like say the Barbarian.

In general I see HQ as mostly being designed for the four heroes to complement one another. I'm not doing it so that each character could win everything on his own and he's competing for glory with the other heroes (solo quests are rare). So in that sense my Wizard could be seen generally as the support class. I know some Wizards will just hide until its their time to "shine" by throwing out a bunch of spells, or play very conservatively (or be nagged to "heal me"). I don't want them to be afraid to do anything of course, but it's okay if they know they can't just rush in and crush all opposition without help.

I mean I could just invent a whole armory where its all stuff the Wizard can use but at a certain point I'd be making him just like the other heroes... as I could also design more magic everyone could use (they can already use spell scrolls). I want him to still be unique and promote some different playing styles than the combat focused characters. The official PC game for example, puts no restrictions on weapons and armor, so he ends up the same as everyone else, just with low body points and more spells. I guess, but that to me is the more boring way to do it. But I mean, why not? There's plenty of lore out there for other games and franchises where wizards can use weapons and wear armor, who says it has to be this way? But I'm trying to build on what has already been established in THIS franchise.

So I imagine a team of heroes (human players who control them come and go... like members of a famous rock band that endures through the years) progressing their way through the game system and other expansions, KK, ROTWL, then on to ATOH and WOM, the Dark Company and the infamously "broken" (difficulty wise) EQP and BQP. Some of the "weaker" characters I've had doing the Japanese game system (a modified form of it anyway). We've broken into the EQP/BQP in terms of the solo quests, but it will be the "Knights" I imagine taking on the EQP/BQP, having a tough time, but ultimately having a fair shot to win all the marbles, but that's probably years down the road still.

In addition to the upgrade there's a link in my signature to "new heroes" which explains those. So it's not just one thing, I have thought about it, and again you do what works for you. I haven't had a chance to test everything, because only a few players have made it to "knight" levels. I worry more about the Wizard becoming too powerful (making the quests no challenge at all), than him being too weak (as many perceive him to be in those early quests as the other heroes start buying bigger weapons and armor). I know some ridiculously difficult official quests lie ahead and rather than rewriting those completely to make them more fair, I don't mind if the Wizard is a bit OP to make those more tolerable (that's my strategy thus far).

I even made a Wizard's Arsenal that is highly experimental and hasn't been tested yet.

So just making the staff cheaper or stronger to me isn't really the solution, I've done other things, and it all is fitting together nicely so far. I can make adjustments later I figure. I just try to be as sure as I can and get good feedback and some testing before I spend the money to print it out.

My approach to HQ is to take the game more or less as written and then sprinkle the new stuff on top, rather than radically altering what's there. Yes, I am using the NA game as the base and then modifying the unique stuff from the other versions (EU and Japanese) to fit (rather than attempting to keep those "true" since they fit into a system that is different from the overall NA version in many and subtle ways). I'm trying to use the lore and existing elements while adding new stuff but not seeking to turn it into a brand new game. My ideas will branch off from someone else's philosophy of how that ought to be, of course. While I have introduced a lot of characters that use magic, I always want the wizard to have just a slight edge in terms of his flexibility, in the diversity of his abilities, and of course, nobody can generate potions like he can (at a certain point, his team will need every last one of them)!

Thanks for the feedback!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby creamdonut » August 18th, 2021, 5:39 am

Hi Kurgan! Great armories, very nice! However, there are differences between your rulings and the Sjeng equipment cards, which I'm using. I'd like to be able to use both, and you basically have all the same weapons and armor in your armoury. Would it be possible if you could share the psds for the armoury? I'm editing the Sjeng cards for balance as well, and it'd be great to have a unified armory, both in cards and in display. Cheers!
creamdonut

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Kurgan » August 18th, 2021, 11:54 am

PM me your email and I can scrounge them up probably. Thanks!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous