• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My New (Expanded) Armory... (yes, another one)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: My New (Expanded) Armory... (yes, another one)

Postby Kurgan » Tuesday December 15th, 2020 8:43am

Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » Monday April 19th, 2021 9:44pm

FURTHER THOUGHTS ON THE BUCKLER & RAPIER :

So I was thinking more about the Buckler and realizing if interpreted a certain way it would make it way too powerful. After all, for 275 gold, any of the Heroes (other than the Wizard) can use it with a sword to substitute 1 white shield for a skull when defending (which is no big deal after you get some other armor too). One body point monsters are going to drop like flies simply by attacking you!

Instead I envisioned it this way:

If you attack the enemy and you happen to get 1 white shield, you can turn that into a skull. Okay, so stronger attack with the Buckler than with just the basic sword.

When defending, the Buckler only adds a black die (which is weaker than a white die for defense, having 1 less white shield, so 1/6 chance of defense) which is weaker than a standard shield. However, you can substitute 1 white shield for a skull. This could result in you taking damage but the enemy getting hit! If you have other armor, you are probably going to get enough shields to defend against all enemy damage AND have one you can turn into a skull.

However in that case I WOULD allow the Monster to roll his standard defend dice against that one skull. It's still a neat way for the hero to get an extra attack (albeit a weak one) against the enemy when he's being attacked.

If the Hero is somehow prevented from attacking (by a spell, let's say) then he could simply not switch the White shield to a skull in that case.

Here I'm interpreting the usage of the Buckler such that the Hero blocks the attack as he normally would and bashes the enemy with the shield, rather than assuming he blocks the whole attack with the buckler and kills the enemy with the sword (which while cool, would seem to make it overly powerful for not a lot of gold).

The idea behind the Rapier is if you combine with a dagger (a reason to hang onto it!) if the enemy misses you get a counter attack using 2 dice (and yes, it could be against a diagonal monster, though very few monsters attack diagonally). While you can only count 1 skull against the enemy, it is an unblockable hit! So it will be rare, but powerful for 275 gold!
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » Friday May 7th, 2021 11:16pm

Based on feedback I'm adjusting the Buckler so that it adds 1 White combat die (instead of black). It really is an upgrade and can be a complete replacement for the regular shield but for the price it gives you a chance to inflict damage on those really good defensive rolls.
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:

Previous

Return to Rules