• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroes Upgrade / Leveling System (and Villains too!)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Heroes Upgrade / Leveling System (and Villains too!)

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday January 20th, 2021 9:07pm

Pics of the professionally printed Zargon coins (Elite Monster tokens) can be found here !
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday February 24th, 2021 1:07am

I created an evil wizard card that is a potion the bad guy can drink that gives him blue dice for defense until the end of the quest. I also created a card reflecting the same "Chaotic Defense" ability for each of the Wizards of Zargon(Morcar). If the Heroes are already champions, this helps the bad guys survive a bit longer and they will use the scrolls of battle formations similar to the Heroes once they have that ability as well.

Now to find a use for the purple, orange and other colors of dice (Wizard's Arsenal possibly).
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » Wednesday February 24th, 2021 7:14am

Kurgan wrote:I created an evil wizard card that is a potion the bad guy can drink that gives him blue dice for defense until the end of the quest. I also created a card reflecting the same "Chaotic Defense" ability for each of the Wizards of Zargon(Morcar). If the Heroes are already champions, this helps the bad guys survive a bit longer and they will use the scrolls of battle formations similar to the Heroes once they have that ability as well.

Now to find a use for the purple, orange and other colors of dice (Wizard's Arsenal possibly).

Mound of the Beastmen Questpack uses the orange dice.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday February 24th, 2021 12:26pm

Nice. I was resistant to using them at first, thinking it was going to make the games too complicated, but overall I see the benefit. The Green, Blue and Black dice are easily to account for, even if you don't have the special dice (just count a certain result as something else).

On white dice:
Black dice, count the black shield as another skull.
Blue dice, count the white shields as if they were black shields (and ignore black shields).
Green dice, count the black shield as a white shield OR count skulls as if they were white shields (and ignore white shields).

The pink/black and the red/gold dice are just dupes of the white dice, to keep Zargon's results separated at a glance from the Heroes, which is a fun luxury option.

I saw a "Beer and Board Games" episode where they played Hero Quest, but the guy playing Zargon used regular dice! I think he was counting 6's as black shields, 1-3's as skulls, 4-5's as white shields on each die. It's possible, just a bit harder to remember in a long game with a bunch of people without a cheat sheet.

But yeah the special dice with "doubles" of things, those are the ones that will be interesting.
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:

Previous

Return to Rules