• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Underworld & Random Quest Generator

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

The Underworld & Random Quest Generator

Postby Stoner81 » November 15th, 2018, 11:12 am

DISCLAIMER - Yes I know it uses a D20 but due to the number of rooms I could not think of any other way of doing it short of using an app to generate numbers from 1-22 since that is how many rooms there, at least this way it should still be random and involves an actual dice roll which is always fun.

The map below can be used to create random dungeons. Simply decide on how many rooms you want to use, the original quests along with Kellar’s Keep and Return of the Witch Lord use anywhere between 7 and 15 rooms. 7 being a pretty short quest and 15 being a long and arduous one. To determine which rooms, simply roll a D20 and consult the map below. If you roll “5” or “11” then roll 1D6 and see the number in parentheses to find out which one you are going to use. Once you have the number of rooms to use then it’s just a matter of joining them together any way you see fit be it with corridors, secret doors, trap doors etc. Be mindful of how much furniture you place in the rooms and it is quite OK to have rooms with nothing in whatsoever.

Of course, this is all optional but it comes in handy for making quests in the Underworld when the Heroes die.

The Underworld

An optional set of rules you can use for when Heroes die is that they have to fight their way out of the Underworld and back to the land of the living. Use the random quest generator below to determine their path;

1. The Hero or Heroes start in the first room you roll for and finish in the last room you roll for. If these are close to each other then obviously do not make it easy for
    them but don’t make it impossible either.
  2. They all start with half of their maximum Body Point score.
  3. They have no weapons and so must use their base stats for moving, attacking and defending. Nor do they have any potions or any other form of equipment.
  4. You may only use Undead monsters and can only be from the Original monster list in the Bestiary.
  5. There are no traps or treasures to be found. You may not use the A Simple Series of Unfortunate Events table during these quests (what my Evil Wizards Cards are)
  6. If a Hero is slain in the Underworld then he is gone for good! The player must start with a fresh Hero.
  7. If a Hero survives the quest to get back to the land of the living then they must roll for Insanity.

I saw a similar idea posted here but I can't remember where so thank you to who ever it was that did. I haven't fully fleshed it all out yet but you get the idea.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The Underworld & Random Quest Generator

Postby Kurgan » December 2nd, 2019, 10:00 pm

Interesting idea, I may use it! I assume by no equipment whatsoever, that also means no Spells (magic)?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » December 3rd, 2019, 1:49 pm

if no magic is allowed the Wizard player will the first one to die...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 4th, 2019, 7:18 am

He'd only have 2 body points. The goal then would be to RUN for the exit, but then you may be generating lots of monsters on the way, which means you need to gang up on each one in the hopes of not dying, since everybody has only 1 attack die. Sounds very challenging. Has anybody tested a scenario yet?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Stoner81 » December 7th, 2019, 11:22 pm

I haven't actually tested this out yet since nobody wants to play with me :( I would allow the wizard to have his spells along with any other spell caster type since they aren't "equipment" as such. Some tweaking will probably be needed to make it more balanced I'm sure.

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 10th, 2019, 2:31 am

Like I said before, love the idea. One last chance, like everybody is nearly in shock...

So if Spells are okay, does that mean they can heal beyond the "half" starting max? Since spells can save (at least the spellcastor) from death? So a Wizard dies from a 2 skull hit from a zombie, then revives with his max (4), up to two times (assuming he had both Water and Earth, though that would leave the Elf with no way to do the same unless they split those). A fair way would be to have the spells divided according to how they were when the characters "died."

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Stoner81 » January 29th, 2023, 8:20 am

Kurgan wrote:Like I said before, love the idea. One last chance, like everybody is nearly in shock...

So if Spells are okay, does that mean they can heal beyond the "half" starting max? Since spells can save (at least the spellcastor) from death? So a Wizard dies from a 2 skull hit from a zombie, then revives with his max (4), up to two times (assuming he had both Water and Earth, though that would leave the Elf with no way to do the same unless they split those). A fair way would be to have the spells divided according to how they were when the characters "died."

I would make it that the Heroes can not heal past half of their maximum Body Point score while in the Underworld.

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Rules