• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

BRAWL...again

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: BRAWL...again

Postby burglekutt » October 10th, 2018, 11:41 am

Ah yes. I don't like D then as it gives the  and  a better chance to hit with their fists than with a dagger.

Make punches n kicks do a half point of dammage.
Last edited by burglekutt on October 13th, 2018, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby benvoliothefirst » October 10th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I respectfully disagree. While I understand where you're coming from, I think there's already enough granularity in the system without getting into the added complexity of bludgeoning vs. piercing damage and/or fractions of body points.

Also, daggers can be thrown.So they aren't too redundant. And it makes perfect sense to me that a scrawny, bookish wizard would do the same amount of damage limply chucking a dagger at someone that a hulking barbarian could do by punching them in the nose!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm

benvoliothefirst wrote:I respectfully disagree. While I understand where you're coming from, I think there's already enough granularity in the system without getting into the added complexity of bludgeoning vs. piercing damage and/or fractions of body points.

Also, daggers can be thrown.So they aren't too redundant. And it makes perfect sense to me that a scrawny, bookish wizard would do the same amount of damage limply chucking a dagger at someone that a hulking barbarian could do by punching them in the nose!

Agreed.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 11th, 2018, 4:31 am

I even think I would prefer the wizard's limply thrown dagger over a guy 4 times my body weight punching me in the face... :?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » October 12th, 2018, 11:20 am

I was thinking about attribute tests in HQ recently. There was a french website that gave each hero a card listing probabilities for various types of feats, much like Dragon Strike.

Then I though to myself... wait, HQ already has attribute tests. Magic resistance is a Mind attribute test made by rolling red dice equal to your mind, and requiring a 5 or 6. So we could call it a difficulty 1 Mind Test.

Unarmed combat could be a difficulty X Body Test, where X equals a monster's defence characteristic. Note this is not the monster's number of black shields rolled, but the number printed on their card without any roll.

So an unwounded Barbarian would roll 8 red dice needing 2 results of 5 or 6 in order to hit an orc in unarmed combat. That hit could do 1 damage, or if you prefer, allow a normal attack to proceed with starting attack dice.

This also has the effect of wounded heroes getting worse at feats of strength.

This can be used for things such as forcing doors, climbing, etc. Just pick a difficulty, usually 1.

My 2 gc
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby burglekutt » October 13th, 2018, 6:11 am

are also my preferred method. I would go with E as it uses a combat die.

I to like the idea of using a combat die. I like C or E.
burglekutt

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » October 13th, 2018, 7:59 am

gootchute wrote:I was thinking about attribute tests in HQ recently...

This also has the effect of wounded heroes getting worse at feats of strength.

My 2 gc

...I hadn't even thought of that! Brilliant! That method, while 'canon' based on the example you provided, seems unwieldy to me since in the example with the barbarian you're rolling 8 red dice, which is both unwieldy for small hands and impractical for those who don't have a bigger collection of dice. I play with lots of kids and newbies!

But my method means you roll two red dice, and have to get an 8 or lower. With a wounded barbarian it would become tougher, as it should. And if the barbarian gets a boost to his BP, the test gets easier accordingly. Simple!
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules