• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

sleep spell

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: sleep spell

Postby mitchiemasha » June 15th, 2018, 10:53 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I don't find it overpowered in the US version. Lets say the Wizard finds himself alone - possibly in a solo Quest. He casts Sleep on a "boss", so using up his Action for that turn. The "boss" rolls immediately to break it. Then it is Zargon's turn. The "boss" rolls again to break it. That is 2 chances to wake up before the Wizard even gets a chance to attack.

I don't find it's overpowered in the US version... Goes on to state an extremely rare occurrence. I don't mean to be rude but COME ON!!!

The only good thing about the US ed is Multiple BP. Lets stick to UK for everything else.

Edit: not that i find 'Over Power' an issue, it's simply the UK spells work better, much better.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby DullandRusty » June 15th, 2018, 11:26 pm

mitchiemasha wrote: it's simply the UK spells work better, much better.

i don't have experience with the UK spells or other cards. Without going into every difference, what are a few of the major ones that stand out?
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » June 16th, 2018, 5:33 am

So the EU card...

Once asleep he may not defend if attacked.

He will awake if he rolls a six at the start of his turn, or if attacked.

So which one is it? What exactly are the series of events happening if a sleeping monster is attacked?
We have always just played it as a way to non-violently take a monster out of action for a while, but it actually seems kinda contradictory.
He may not defend if attacked, but he awakes if attacked. I guess the FIRST attacker gets a non-defended hit?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » June 16th, 2018, 6:33 am

mitchiemasha wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:I don't find it overpowered in the US version. Lets say the Wizard finds himself alone - possibly in a solo Quest. He casts Sleep on a "boss", so using up his Action for that turn. The "boss" rolls immediately to break it. Then it is Zargon's turn. The "boss" rolls again to break it. That is 2 chances to wake up before the Wizard even gets a chance to attack.

I don't find it's overpowered in the US version... Goes on to state an extremely rare occurrence. I don't mean to be rude but COME ON!!!

The only good thing about the US ed is Multiple BP. Lets stick to UK for everything else.

Edit: not that i find 'Over Power' an issue, it's simply the UK spells work better, much better.

In my experience the Wizard often finds himself alone. The Heroes I have played with usually tend to split up in easier beginning Quests. I was just giving one example.

The EU waking if attacked is generally pointless as the monsters in that system each have 1 BP.

The Wizard doesn't have a lot of "fire power". He will usually use Sleep so the monster can't defend and then throw the Genie at him or possibly a Fire Spell. Bosses have too high of MP for it really to be effective. That method is used on Chaos Warriors or sometimes a Fimir. There is a high chance of leaving the monster with 2 or 3 BP left with another roll of the dice to awaken.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 17th, 2018, 6:37 am

I like the sleep spell just as it is. The Wizard is not an overly powerful character, and it is something he can do to help the team. The monster has an immediate chance to ward it off, so it tends to only be used on poweful, but low mind point monsters (1 or 2). Any more MP's and there is a 50% or more chance that it won't work. When you only have 9 spells, you really want to get as much mileage out of it as possible.

As to waking up, it is a magical sleep, so I am happy that attacking the monster doesn't wake it up. If it were normal sleep the noise of battle would surely just wake it up immediately.

As a Wizard character myself,I want the Wizard more powerful, not less.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 17th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Goblin-King wrote:So which one is it?

Yes i read it as wrote, which works out as the first attacker gets an undefended attack. Makes sense that way.

j_dean80 wrote:The EU waking if attacked is generally pointless as the monsters in that system each have 1 BP.

Any 1 who plays 1BP monsters needs to stop, it was clearly only included for the junior set.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 19th, 2018, 5:37 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Any 1 who plays 1BP monsters needs to stop, it was clearly only included for the junior set.

:lol: Oh no, Mormons!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » June 19th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Goblin-King wrote:So the EU card...

Once asleep he may not defend if attacked.

He will awake if he rolls a six at the start of his turn, or if attacked.

So which one is it? What exactly are the series of events happening if a sleeping monster is attacked?
We have always just played it as a way to non-violently take a monster out of action for a while, but it actually seems kinda contradictory.
He may not defend if attacked, but he awakes if attacked. I guess the FIRST attacker gets a non-defended hit?

it is just a matter of puntuaction I guess. Strangely, the Italian version of the spell explains better what the authors meant.
He will awake if he rolls a six:
1) at the start of his turn or 2) if attacked

So, everytime he is attacked, the monster should roll a red die to see if he awakes or not; if a six is rolled he can defend against the attack, otherwise he can't.

Now, the real problem with this card is that, at least in the EU version, it is not specified that you have to discard the spell after use, so my wizard get used to make all monster sleeping and, having the Wand of Recall, he could even cast Sleep 2 times in the same turn! Also in the EU version, it can be used against Undeads and they went to sleep automatically because they have ZERO MP, so no dice roll is allowed. In the NA version, it is instead specified that SLEEP can't be used against Undeads.

Also, since I like the realistic feeling, I prefer that if a sleeping monster has more than just 1 BP, he will automatically awake if wounded.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 20th, 2018, 12:26 pm

lestodante wrote:it is just a matter of puntuaction I guess. Strangely, the Italian version of the spell explains better what the authors meant.
He will awake if he rolls a six:
1) at the start of his turn or 2) if attacked

Wait a min... what! let that sink in... AHHHHH!!! Now of course... that would make sense. To which he would get to defend if awaken. Form now on that's how It shall be played.

mitchiemasha wrote:
lestodante wrote:it can be used against Undeads and they went to sleep automatically because they have ZERO MP, so no dice roll is allowed.

I'd be saying no to this 1, we can't attack the Mind if it's 0.
Last edited by Daedalus on June 20th, 2018, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 20th, 2018, 12:30 pm

lestodante wrote:it can be used against Undeads and they went to sleep automatically because they have ZERO MP, so no dice roll is allowed.

I'd be saying no to this 1, we can't attack the Mind if it's 0.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules