• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spiked Shield.

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Spiked Shield.

Postby Daedalus » March 8th, 2018, 5:07 pm

How about something that harkens back to your original design?

Spiked Shield: Any white shields rolled in defense may instead hit your attacker.

A Hero can elect to forego some, all, or no defended damage from a hit to transfer it and any excess white shields against his attacker. If you feel that is still overpowered, "Any white shields . . ." could be capped to One white shield . . ..
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby DullandRusty » March 9th, 2018, 1:26 am

Daedalus wrote:How about something that harkens back to your original design?

Spiked Shield: Any white shields rolled in defense may instead hit your attacker.

A Hero can elect to forego some, all, or no defended damage from a hit to transfer it and any excess white shields against his attacker. If you feel that is still overpowered, "Any white shields . . ." could be capped to One white shield. . . ..

just to verify, you meant if a monster throws 2 successes and the hero has say 4 white shields, the hero can sacrifice 2 white shields to accept 2 damage to himself and throw back 2 damage to the attacker. He/she can then also use the additional 2 white shields not needed for the defense and inflict 2 more damage? (or as the last comment said cap the extra damage at 1white shield). intriguing.

how about if the hero decides to sacrifice just 1 shield and take the just one hit to inflict 1 damage, then opts to block the second hit with the white shield for defense. Can he then still use the excess white shields (2) to inflict the additional damage (does 3 damage total (or 2 if capping at 1 excess shield), takes 1 hit, blocks 1 hit), or does he have to accept both hits to use the excess shield to inflict damage?

or what about if he has 4 white shields, can he block both of the 2 hits then use the excess 2 shields for damage, or does he have to accept at least 1 point of damage on himself first?

it is all intriguing to me, I just wanted to verify your thoughts for clarity as I ponder.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Showdown35 » March 9th, 2018, 3:40 pm

This is all very intriguing. Here's a scenario to consider as well, assuming that the Attacker is allowed a defense roll against the "rebounded" white shield attacks from the shield, imagine this:

Two heroes each carry a Spiked Shield. The EWP controls a spellcasting Monster, and casts Mind Control on one of the Heroes, then attacks the other. They would end up "spiking" each other back and forth for as long as excess white shields were rolled. Ultimately, as soon as one of them was damaged, or rolled exactly enough white shields to block the attack, the loop would end, but still a silly concept that could result depending on the wording of the item.

NOTE: You can avoid this by clarifying that the rebounded hits are not a player Attack, but may still be defended against. i.e. the Defender does not become an Attacker by rolling excess white shields, instead the shield itself causes the Attack.
It's like a new pair of underwear; at first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you. I have to go...

My HeroQuest Homebrew project site: http://www.showdowndave.ca/heroquest
Showdown35

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 9th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Daedalus wrote:How about something that harkens back to your original design?

A Hero can elect to forego some, all, or no defended damage from a hit to transfer it and any excess white shields against his attacker. If you feel that is still overpowered, "Any white shields . . ." could be capped to One white shield. . . ..

YES! YOU BEAUTY!!! This is both perfectly simply, very HQ and offers more than the original idea, including the original idea. Even though the original idea isn't worded in their, it's still their due to how it works. Clearly why i was struggling with it so much, there was a better idea available. Thank you!!!

I doubt many will choose to take a wound but the option is there. It also makes the original idea easier to clarify with out incorrect interpretations. I'll add this to the Armoury now.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » March 9th, 2018, 3:55 pm

I've changed the idea to 'you roll' instead of 'rolled'. Adding 'you' is quite important here. Some might interpret 'rolled' to mean the White Shields in the defending Monsters roll, not the attacking heroes roll.
Spiked Shield: Any White Shields you roll in defence can instead hit your attacker"

Removing the excess part altogether fixed everything. It's true what they say, less is more.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on May 13th, 2018, 11:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 9th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Master of words, Daedalus, master of words. Applause!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » May 12th, 2018, 5:44 pm

I personally like the concept of spiked shield, but I like the version where you get attacked by two skulls, then roll three white shields so you can attack back with one excessive shield which the enemy can/cannot defend against. Whatever works best without overpowering the shield. Great idea still!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 12th, 2018, 11:43 pm

I like the daedalus one.
I was seeing spiked shields in Talhoffers' Fencing Book dating back to the 1600 or 1700 somewhere. Talhoffer made an illustrated book of fencing tactics as he was observing them in so-called "justice fights". He was presenting there that the duelists indeed sometimes used the spikes on the shield to attack the other one.

They were:
* Hiding their next move behind the shield to surprise the other one
* Changing the weapons hand behind the shield
* pushing and shoving the other one with the shield
* attacking directly with the blunt frame of the shield
* ramming the spikes into the ground to do all of the above, but better
* or directly ramming the spikes on the shield into the enemy

Their shields had spikes on the lower end, pointing down, and on the upper end, pointing up.

So if you had the right kind of shield, it was anything but defense. It was an active weapon. I shall incorporate Daedalus' words in an equipment item for my game!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 13th, 2018, 9:41 pm

TMU wrote:I personally like the concept of spiked shield, but I like the version where you get attacked by two skulls, then roll three white shields so you can attack back with one excessive shield which the enemy can/cannot defend against. Whatever works best without overpowering the shield. Great idea still!

Yes... I think that's the version we all agreed on here as being the best. Using the term 'instead' is just an easier way to word it. I doubt anyone would take a wound for a potential wound on your opponent but the choice is there. The 'excessive' shield as you described it works still with in the new wording.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on May 13th, 2018, 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 13th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Anderas wrote:They were:

I like it, it's good to know.

* pushing and shoving the other one with the shield

The 150g shield (matching US prices) has Pushback. Roll 3+ shields in combat and you can push your opponent back or to the side 1 square, if vacant. There's a cheaper shield, the light shield 100gc, this doesn't have PB and reflects the equipment card from the EU edition. Bringing both prices to the game. PB is effective in both attack and defence. Now, if you seriously fumble your attack, you can still push the enemy back, useful against my fimirs that get Tail Bash, counter attack if not killed when attacked.

Originally it was all shields, the power defence bonus, like all skulls in attack, MIGHTY BLOW! but once more equipped or potions come into play it breaks the mechanic. The 'all' skulls or 'all' shield doesn't work as a wording choice.

Pushback could be used as a standard mod but it's better if the game evolves, keeping it super simple at the start.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules